Remote Turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Remote Turbo
Monday, October 27, 2008 12:47 PM
Since nobody has a turbo kit for an automatic cavy i plan on running a remote turbo. I found a cavalier that had the setup on you tube and was wonder what would i need for the installation. Will i need an intercooler, how big of a turbo should i use, how big a piping should i use, and what type of oil pump am i going to need to get oil back to the turbo. Any ideas help, thanks guys.

Re: Remote Turbo
Monday, October 27, 2008 1:41 PM
You are going to have to go custom for a remote turbo setup, so why not just make it a custom under the hood turbo?

Don't get me wrong, it is a neat idea, but for the amount of work involved, and cost, you could do a cheaper underhood kit. And by cheaper I don't mean a piece of garbage one, I just mean spend less.

If you look at some of the profiles on J-body.org, there are a lot of auto turbo eco's.

I think the big problem is fitting the turbo and the downpipe routing. Things get a little tight.

To answer your questions:
You should really post your car in your profile, it makes giving advise a little easier.

For instance, say you have an 03 cav. It depends on how much boost you want to run. Depending on your boost levels, say you want higher boost, you want an intercooler. Along with higher boost levels, you will probably want to build your engine internals.

As for oil. I'm not sure if it is wise to run oil lines all the way back to the rear, or have a resevoir and remote pump for the turbo. Just think, a line breaks and you don't realize it, suddenly a lot of oil is already downstream away from your engine.

Piping- I have no idea. 2.5"? But I do know, by the time all that hot hot air makes it to the front of the car, it won't be as hot and will help the intercooling process.
Monday, October 27, 2008 3:28 PM
I figure i would try something unique with the remote turbo set up. With the auto tranny in the way i dont like how much room the turbo piping will take up. Im not sure about the whole oil thing im just relaying what i saw on a cavy in a video. Im propably not going to run that much boost bc building the internals isn't cheap. I mean one step at a time here. I know that i can run at least 7-8lbs on stock internals with no problems. On the post my car thing i don't know how to do that or what u mean. Im kind of new at this car forum thing.
Tuesday, April 07, 2009 9:51 AM
I fully agree with mr.choo! But if you set on the idea for the oil I am thinking it would be some what difficult to get consistant oil pressure being supplied by the factory wet sump system I would most like ly run the wet sump as well as a dry sump so the oil problem is good and for the exhaust I would run a little smaller so it will be easier to have pressure at the turbo for spool up don't forget to run the cat or eliminate it I know a few people run the 02 eliminator or hpt tuners good i dea none the less just not a big fan of the long system theoretically this should help I just doing mostly out of my mind I would learn some on dynamics of a turbo if I were you like heat helps the spool up VS colder air lots of turbos run of exploding exhaust in thus equalls more purpulsion for it quicker spool up hope this helps

Its Pronounced {TEAR I AL}
YEAH THE ORANGE BITCH CAR HIT FASTER THEN YOUR HONDA!!!!!!
hit a 15.43 on intake and cat back in wendover
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:36 AM
Ok ive changed my mind im going to go ahead with a turbo under the hood but i will have a buddy who works and a performance shop to bend the piping for me and tune the car. Now what about fuel and ignition?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search