2002 L61 build plans and questions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2002 L61 build plans and questions
Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:23 AM
I recently acquired a L61 Ecotec engine from a buddy that works at the the local GM shop.. The motor was replaced due to oil starvation and i was able to get it relatively cheap. I have always been interested in the power capabilities of the EcoTec power plant and as I come from an extensive background in Turbo Honda B-series building and tuning im no nOOb in regards to fundamentals of building and tuning a high boost motor.

What attracts me to the Ecotec over Honda's cheap and reliable Bseries is the capability to eclipse 5,6,7,8XX horsepower without sleeving or using an after-market block. Also, Having a usable powerband under 7Krpm is nice. Last summer I built a ~400HP B16 for my civic, was very strong held 17PSI and raped pretty much every FWD car on the street hands down but was totally gutless under 6Krpm or so. For next year my plans were to get the block sleeved, get a girdle, etc,etc spend 2-3G in block work and still be stuck with a bmmmmmmmmmmmm(vtak)BAAAAAAAAPAPAPAPAAAAAATATATATAAT engine. I considered building variations on the B-series using taller decks, stroker cranks and things of that nature but realized that I could find power where I wanted it with a swap to a naturally larger, stronger and more reliable engine.

hence the Ecotec.

Goals for my Build are 10.5sec 1/4 mile with slicks
+usable powerband with as little turbo lag as possible
car its going into is a built chassis (cage,suspension,etc) 1999 Honda civic
2430Lbs (currently)

Naturally I wil be building the motor with forged internals, but my limited knowledge on Ecotec particulars makes me apprehensive getting my parts list ready.

So far ive got

Eagle Rods
Arias or JE Pistons, 9.6:1compression
balance shaft delete
Block posting in outer water jacket
headwork (lots and lots of headwork)
adj cam gears

I will fab up my own turbo manifold, long tube style with external wastegate.
My turbo preference is leaning me towards the GT-35
Water-Air intercooling
Methanol injection
1000CC injectors
C16 116 octane fuel for high boost (26+psi!!)
90 Octane pump for low boost (14-17PSI with methanol inj)

My biggest questions are on the limitations of the 2002 L61 Vs. other ecotec engines or different years,
valvetrain and what cam grinds are putting down good #'s
reliable Transmission selection, (LSD is a must)
PCM options, what stand alone systems work well with factory sensors or if i can use a PCM from another GM vehicle with my HPtuners software
integrated emissions systems and how I can remove them
Limitations of the stock sleeves and block webbing (in terms of output)
Is de-stroking the 2.2 to a 2.0 theasible to obtain better integrity? what are the deck height differences between the L61 and the LSJ?
Should I be looking to use a different child of the ecotec family for my build? (most parts available seem to be for the L61...)

Please let me hear your suggestions and anwsers, Im sure I will have more questions later

Re: 2002 L61 build plans and questions
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:43 AM
THIS FOURM IS NOT ONLY SLOW BUT STUPID
Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:38 PM
Hey nathan post up your question in j-body.org and you will get answers right away. this forum is dead for sure. Look into gm performance parts build book or hahn racecraft
Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:40 AM
Nathan Lovel wrote:

Goals for my Build are 10.5sec 1/4 mile with slicks
+usable powerband with as little turbo lag as possible
car its going into is a built chassis (cage,suspension,etc) 1999 Honda civic
2430Lbs (currently)

Naturally I will be building the motor with forged internals, but my limited knowledge on Ecotec particulars makes me apprehensive getting my parts list ready.

So far ive got

Eagle Rods
Arias or JE Pistons, 9.6:1compression
balance shaft delete
Block posting in outer water jacket
headwork (lots and lots of headwork)
adj cam gears

I will fab up my own turbo manifold, long tube style with external wastegate.
My turbo preference is leaning me towards the GT-35
Water-Air intercooling
Methanol injection
1000CC injectors
C16 116 octane fuel for high boost (26+psi!!)
90 Octane pump for low boost (14-17PSI with methanol inj)

My biggest questions are on the limitations of the 2002 L61 Vs. other ecotec engines or different years,
valvetrain and what cam grinds are putting down good #'s
reliable Transmission selection, (LSD is a must)
PCM options, what stand alone systems work well with factory sensors or if i can use a PCM from another GM vehicle with my HPtuners software
integrated emissions systems and how I can remove them
Limitations of the stock sleeves and block webbing (in terms of output)
Is de-stroking the 2.2 to a 2.0 feasible to obtain better integrity? what are the deck height differences between the L61 and the LSJ?
Should I be looking to use a different child of the ecotec family for my build? (most parts available seem to be for the L61...)

Please let me hear your suggestions and answers, Im sure I will have more questions later

lots of interestin questions. they do make turbo cams. check out allecotec.com or turbotechracing.com for parts. no real transmission selection. the lsd is either a quaife or an insert. you can use hptuners for the l61 pcm. just curious how how you'll get the wirin to all work in your honda plus the drivetrain. adam hahn has destroked the 2.2 to a 2.0. runnin some crazy numbers. there are a lot of parts for the l61 and lsj. the other versions of ecotecs, the pcm isn't tuneable. i would check j-body.org for some of your answers. i'd be weary on sayin you are puttin this into a honda. just a fair warnin. good luck.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search