What PSI boost is most healthy for my Cobalt 2.2L? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What PSI boost is most healthy for my Cobalt 2.2L?
Friday, June 25, 2010 10:55 PM
I have been looking into getting a Turbo for my cobalt. It is just the Base 2005 2.2L Ecotec engine.
Many local people told me different LOW numbers and when I say low, a few said 7PSI, and a couple others said 8PSI. These are REALLY LOW PSI ranges and it doesn't make sense to me. My car is also a daily driver for me. I am not just using it to race.

1. Can somebody let me know what PSI boost is best for my cobalt's turbo?
2. What Turbo is the best for the Cobalt?

Thank you guys for your time.

Re: What PSI boost is most healthy for my Cobalt 2.2L?
Friday, June 25, 2010 11:23 PM
1. Depends on the turbo. Boost pressure hardly even blows engines, granted if you have a wastegate stay shut you could blow the crank out the bottom. The real killer of is the engine not being able to support the horsepower you will be making. Alot of things affect what PSI you see. High PSI numbers are just for bragging rights.

2. Only you can decide start reading books on boost and figure out what turbo you need based on what you want out of it.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:28 AM
theyr'e telling you low psi numbers becuase (i'm assuming) you have a basically stock cobalt. your stock internals will not handle a whole @!#$load of boost. you will also have to upgrade your entire exhaust and a number of other things before you can even really consider running boost.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:46 PM
It is completely stock. I just ordered an exhaust and I am getting a custom intake made with an air filter and pipe from Autozone. The turbo kit I found includes an aftermarket exhaust manifold as well so I'm good on that. The boost controller for it said I can run anywhere from 1-30 PSI but I didn't know if it was real healthy for my little 2.2 cobalt It comes with a blowoff valve too. But regardless, I wouldn't even THINK about puting a turbo on before anything else. I start small.

I figured I am going to wait a couple weeks before the turbo because I am going to get the cold air intake and exhaust and everything on. There are a few other things I need to get as well. Thanks guys.
Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:47 PM
But if anyone else has a specific boost number, let me know.
Monday, June 28, 2010 1:59 PM
link to the turbo kit you bought? also if your'e building a spectre brand intake save your money. that crap is garbage. i'm not dogging on you just letting you know from personal experience. better to only have to put money out for an intake once instead of twice.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:44 AM
Dustin Brady wrote:But if anyone else has a specific boost number, let me know.

Did you read what i said? I'll rephrase it. Every turbo moves a different volume of air at a different PSI. You could get away with running 15psi out of a small GT25 and the engine will last forever, but you could run 10psi out of a GT40 and send a rod threw the block on the 1st drive. You HAVE to look at the how much horsepower the turbo "supports" and how much horsepower your engine can hold. Every set-up is different. There are guys running the same supercharger and pulley i am and they see 12-13psi, but i only see 10. I am not concerned because i am still making the power that i should.

I am making ~220whp from 10psi out of a M62 S/C on a stock engine. I will be dropping a pulley size so i'll be at 12psi and with cams/injectors/retune i expect to be around 260whp on the stock L61 ecotec.

Monday, March 21, 2011 8:37 PM
Just because someone tells you you can only run 7-8 psi doesnt mean thats what you can run..... if psi is important to you buy a small turbo like the saab turbo its cheap bolts right on and you can run more boost..... i plan to run 15 psi on my stock ecotec but if you buy a bigger turbo like a t3 or t3/t4 15 psi probly wont last verylong at all... the cfm of the turbo will determine how much boost will make how much horsepower.... on a small turbo you could compress 15 pounds of air and jam it into your engine and make 75 more horsepower but a big turbo may compress 5 psi of air into your engine and make 80 hp.. just like tinkles said its not psi thats important thats why i went with a really small turbo i want to be reliable yet make hp plus i did it for under $800 for the complete turbo setup( not including tuning and a downpipe)...... if your interested in the saab setup i could give you some places to but the turbo and manifold.....
Saturday, March 23, 2019 5:41 PM
I would be interested in where you got the turbo and manifold
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search