New to the site... I have questions... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New to the site... I have questions...
Monday, August 28, 2006 7:19 PM
I have a 2005 Sunfire. AEM cold air intake, RKsport 4:2:1 header, and Magnaflow catback dual exhaust. It goes ok now, I was considering getting a tubo kit from Hahn racecraft. The kit says everything is included ,including the tuning guide. My question is, what about the ecu?? I dont think the factory settings will accomidate for boost...And how much of a chore is it when tuning for best results? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: New to the site... I have questions...
Monday, September 18, 2006 6:24 PM
have a look at hahhn racecraft's site they have several options for your engine. these engines are toughter than most think.

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:10 AM
I have a stage 2 hahns kit. As long as they send you all the parts It is not that hard to tune it The ecu stays the same they use a fmu and 32 lbs injectors. The install guide will tell you how to adjust fuel pressure at idle I think is 35 psi idle and under boost 9 psi I think its 80psi
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:33 AM
You can use an after market tuner, halteck, megasquirt, SMT6, Apexi. there are probably more but those are respected brands.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:13 PM
If you want a very effective tuning capability, go to www.hptuners.com. Basically, it plugs into your computer and lets you change anything that the computer has control over.

AND YES, it works for your car and computer. It's about $600 and well worth it. It also has to be controlled via laptop.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, October 23, 2006 6:58 AM
mmm sweet gm supercharger. You can extract a good amount of power if your not going to rebuild you should be able to max out the motor with the charger and retain driveability and have the reflash so the computer actually can see that boost and know what to do with it and also you have different timing maps to accomadate boost. Just a thought but hahns stage 2 kit is sweet no doubt it just lacks in the fuel department.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:45 PM
Dingus McGee Boost addict wrote:mmm sweet gm supercharger. You can extract a good amount of power if your not going to rebuild you should be able to max out the motor with the charger and retain driveability and have the reflash so the computer actually can see that boost and know what to do with it and also you have different timing maps to accomadate boost. Just a thought but hahns stage 2 kit is sweet no doubt it just lacks in the fuel department.

You wouldn't be maxing out the motor at all with the supercharger from GM alone...you'd have to do alot more to do something like that. You atleast wouldn't do that on the stock 3.5" pulley GM gives you.

Either way you go, you can still have good driveability. Driveability is all in how you make the setup, what type of setup you have and how you drive in itself. I know people who are getting better gas mileage than they did n/a with turbochargers and superchargers...it's just how you drive. If you beat the hell out of the car, you're going to consume more fuel of course and retain a worse gas mileage.

As far as the comment about "hahns stage 2 kit is sweet but no doubt it lacks in the fuel department", what do you mean by fuel department?

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:35 PM
What i meant is that you can push enough power throgh the gm supercharger kit with aftermarket pulleys and fuel support. I consider running the fmu not a good source of fuel tuning. I believe it isnt the best form of fuel management. Yes i know it works and a good number of people run without any problem but im just saying that it should come with a tuning software such as hpt.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:49 PM
Dingus McGee Boost addict wrote:What i meant is that you can push enough power throgh the gm supercharger kit with aftermarket pulleys and fuel support. I consider running the fmu not a good source of fuel tuning. I believe it isnt the best form of fuel management. Yes i know it works and a good number of people run without any problem but im just saying that it should come with a tuning software such as hpt.

Hahn has more than just an FMU...FMU is optional. They have a Port Fueler which many people have chose to tune with (including Ryne @ Team Vision Racing).

Also understand that for the most part, people are already spending alot of money on the turbo kits, they would be very hesitant to spend another $600-800 on an HP Tuners programmer when they are capable of adjusting fine with an Cartech FMU. I think it's smart to leave things like the Port Fueler as optional just so you can reach a bigger demographic. People typically just look at price and not whats included...when the people who look at whats included and then they look at the options, it's easier to sell to both crowds.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:50 PM
Hahn Stage 2 kit 3495 price for fmu to tune with..... compare other kits that are that costly mostly from say greddy. You are talking ball bearing turbo with a fully programmable emanage unit. right around the same price for a decent amount of vehicles. Yes hahn does have the portfuler and your looking upwards of 1000 dollars. Personally for the money id just get a full standalone. I dont know i just see a large price for an fmu tuned turbo system. Im not arguing with functionality more of wow im dropping 3.5k dollars and i dont even get to fine tune it i need to spend another 1k at least for the portfuler (which is nice if it comes with the hahn plenum that is very sexy i must say.) And when you say people already spend alot of money on the turbo kits is exactly my point if i spend 3.5k on a turbo kit id expect better* fuel management other than an adj fmu. Im sorry but 3.5k for a manifold, turbo, intercooler, couplers, oil line, and an fmu with injectors just isnt worth 3.5k to me. I could be wrong but from my standpoint id rather fab one up for much cheaper. And i know everyone doesnt have this ability and im not trying to argue that hahn puts out a bad product because that is very much not the case. My only point is i feel that it is the only weak point of that kit would you agree or not?

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:12 PM
^^^ i just realized how badly that was worded i think i was doing 2 things at once im sorry for wording that way retarded hope you can understand. ( tries to bite ear and touch middle finger to inner wrists all while choking on my own tongue)

*2012 mazdaspeed3*

Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:55 PM
Dingus McGee Boost addict wrote:Hahn Stage 2 kit 3495 price for fmu to tune with..... compare other kits that are that costly mostly from say greddy. You are talking ball bearing turbo with a fully programmable emanage unit. right around the same price for a decent amount of vehicles. Yes hahn does have the portfuler and your looking upwards of 1000 dollars. Personally for the money id just get a full standalone. I dont know i just see a large price for an fmu tuned turbo system. Im not arguing with functionality more of wow im dropping 3.5k dollars and i dont even get to fine tune it i need to spend another 1k at least for the portfuler (which is nice if it comes with the hahn plenum that is very sexy i must say.) And when you say people already spend alot of money on the turbo kits is exactly my point if i spend 3.5k on a turbo kit id expect better* fuel management other than an adj fmu. Im sorry but 3.5k for a manifold, turbo, intercooler, couplers, oil line, and an fmu with injectors just isnt worth 3.5k to me. I could be wrong but from my standpoint id rather fab one up for much cheaper. And i know everyone doesnt have this ability and im not trying to argue that hahn puts out a bad product because that is very much not the case. My only point is i feel that it is the only weak point of that kit would you agree or not?

Well you're also comparing a kit for probably a car that has a good amount of aftermarket support and a vehicle/computer that e-manage can actually adjust for boost.

J-bodies and ECOTECs in themselves are very limited as far as aftermarket and altering the computer. When you find something that works, you stick with it. Also, from pricing out my own kit for myself, $3500 isn't a bad price for a kit that has had R & D done to it.

As far as doing a kit custom for much cheaper...depends on the shopper, what brand you get, things of that nature. It's more than just parts your buying, you're paying for someone who has done the work for you already. Not everyone knows someone who can fabricate piping, route piping, weld and things of that nature for you. They have tested everything to work. You're paying for a gaurantee, not just parts...but yes...depending on what you buy, used or brand new, it could be that expensive for everything.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:08 PM
NJHK (The Turbo Negro) wrote:Hahn has more than just an FMU...FMU is optional. They have a Port Fueler which many people have chose to tune with (including Ryne @ Team Vision Racing)

Ummm....I don't have a PortFueler. Never have. Don't know if I ever will either.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, October 30, 2006 12:29 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:
NJHK (The Turbo Negro) wrote:Hahn has more than just an FMU...FMU is optional. They have a Port Fueler which many people have chose to tune with (including Ryne @ Team Vision Racing)

Ummm....I don't have a PortFueler. Never have. Don't know if I ever will either.

My mistake then. Could have sworn you stopped using the FMU and was using something else.

Monday, October 30, 2006 9:08 AM
I did stop using the FMU. I have it semi-tuned via HPT.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, October 30, 2006 12:35 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:I did stop using the FMU. I have it semi-tuned via HPT.

Sorry for the confussion then.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search