Supercharger for cobalt ls?????? automatic - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Supercharger for cobalt ls?????? automatic
Saturday, June 03, 2006 3:45 PM
Hey everyone. i was just wondering what supercharger is there to get for the automatic LS cobalt, im looking into the eaton supercharger for the 2.2l but im not sure if that is for automatic, can anyone please let me know, i would appreciate it. as of right now i have AEM cold air intake, Borla exhaust, Hustler Headers, and im looking all now for a supercharger.. just let me know.. i will be placing pictures of my cobalt soon, i upgraded the exterior with drift front bumper, custom sideskirts, and rear valence from rksport. tinted windows 33%. and SS rear wing, anything else i should get please let know

thanxs, Greg

Re: Supercharger for cobalt ls?????? automatic
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:32 AM
If you really wanted to, you could use the same supercharger setup off a Cobalt 2.0 but the only real issue is that you don't have any type of fuel management. The 2.2 Cavaliers/Sunfires that can buy the kit from GM have also an optional Supercharger Reflash where it turns their computer into something that can read and support boost through a TMAP sensor and is able to supply enough fuel during boost.

You have a completely different computer than the J-bodies and the reflash will not work.

Currently there is no type of "simple" tuning solution like the sorts of HP Tuners but HP Tuners is coming out with it next year for the 2.2 for the 06+ Ions/Cobalts/HHRs. Standalone systems are always an option though if you really want to go that route.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, November 03, 2006 5:24 PM
i heard superchargers can not be placed on the 2.2l because the compression is too high. if some one does make one it will be very low boos like 5 if that.
Saturday, November 04, 2006 1:15 PM
Daniel Rasmussen wrote:i heard superchargers can not be placed on the 2.2l because the compression is too high. if some one does make one it will be very low boos like 5 if that.

Sorry but that's incorrect.

GM doesn't have a kit for the base model cobalts for a few reasons:

1. Why supply an aftermarket supercharger kit for a few grand to put on a $12-13,000 car when you have a $22,000 car with a supercharger that people can buy? It would be a dumb marketing move.

2. They have no interest in making the base cobalt into a performance vehicle, that's what the SS vehicles are for.

3. No type of programming for the 2.2L base models.

As far as the compression being too high, this is incorrect. 10.0:1 compression is fine...if it wasn't, GM wouldn't have made a kit for the Jbodies and also warranty it (if installed by them). The 2.2L in the Jbodies and in the Coblat/Ion/HHRs, motor wise, are exactly the same minus outside differences (computer, fuel system etc.).

As far as "low boost", it's not the boost levels (PSI), it's the amount of CFM that matters. When you start learning more on boost and how it effects the motor and things of that nature, you'll understand that.

FYI: The GM Supercharger kits for the Jbodies come with the same pulley setup as the stock 2.0 LSJ Cobalts/Ion Redlines...a 3.5" pulley that produces 9-10 PSI max.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 8:18 AM
the super kit for the j bodies will work, all you need to do is have dealership reflash your computer with the ss or redline program, for auto or manual, due to auto trans is worked off it's own computer. all ecm's are the same just not the program. i have a 04 ion sdn. that is supercharged and turboed, all i did was had Saturn reflash redline program and than stage 3 into computer and i run stage kit on supercharger with injectors and low boost from Saab setup just factory setting, to supply boost that would come from smaller pulley, this set up works great, but alot of time to design and apply to car. hope this helps
Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:58 AM
brad eisenhauer wrote:the super kit for the j bodies will work, all you need to do is have dealership reflash your computer with the ss or redline program, for auto or manual, due to auto trans is worked off it's own computer. all ecm's are the same just not the program. i have a 04 ion sdn. that is supercharged and turboed, all i did was had Saturn reflash redline program and than stage 3 into computer and i run stage kit on supercharger with injectors and low boost from Saab setup just factory setting, to supply boost that would come from smaller pulley, this set up works great, but alot of time to design and apply to car. hope this helps

sorry bud, but that is incorrect.. there is no way to reflash the 2.2 yet, im not 100% sure why it wont work.. wait for NJHK to chime back in here.. he knows the car inside and out. but there is no form of FI available for the 2.2.... due to the lack of tuning
Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:52 PM
James McMorrow wrote:
brad eisenhauer wrote:the super kit for the j bodies will work, all you need to do is have dealership reflash your computer with the ss or redline program, for auto or manual, due to auto trans is worked off it's own computer. all ecm's are the same just not the program. i have a 04 ion sdn. that is supercharged and turboed, all i did was had Saturn reflash redline program and than stage 3 into computer and i run stage kit on supercharger with injectors and low boost from Saab setup just factory setting, to supply boost that would come from smaller pulley, this set up works great, but alot of time to design and apply to car. hope this helps

sorry bud, but that is incorrect.. there is no way to reflash the 2.2 yet, im not 100% sure why it wont work.. wait for NJHK to chime back in here.. he knows the car inside and out. but there is no form of FI available for the 2.2.... due to the lack of tuning

*Chime* *Chime*

lol

You are correct, you can not get an SS/SC or Redline reflash. The L61s use a totally different PCM than the LSJ engines...different perameters and even sensors between the vehicles. It's not possible.

Now, I will say what some people are going to be "experimenting" is with an DFMU. You can read more about it here:

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 6:39 AM
you can have the ecm reflashed call your dealer the part numbers are the same, i have a 04 ion and the redline ecm is the same till 06. all you do is reflash the ecu with the redline or ss codes and it works fine, have had it for 7 or more months and only problem we ever had was running a a/f meter on same o2 censor. used old 1 wire from a Honda now. but get this right the computer can be reflashed to the supercharged setting, the sensors that are different will make no difference. all you need to do is the map and air temp sensor change. then rest is all compatible with the ecm with the reflash. argue till you are blue, i have it it works fine! was done by Saturn of Lancaster, pa and than had the stage flash put in and never a problem. i have auto and that does not even matter the transmission is controlled with it's own computer. all you need to do is 1 call dealer see if your ecm part number is the same as any of the years with the supercharger, if so you are good. 2 install the kit. 3 take to dealer and have your program changed to supercharged model, will take around 40 min. if they are any good.4 beat the hell out anything your up against!!! i walk away fro c-5's with no problem. and the computer works with out a skip in beat, even now with the compound set up thank you. argue away, i have it done and people like you guys are why people don't ask question, cause you tell them it will not work so no one tries. well i did it works, thank you
Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:20 AM
brad eisenhauer wrote:you can have the ecm reflashed call your dealer the part numbers are the same, i have a 04 ion and the redline ecm is the same till 06. all you do is reflash the ecu with the redline or ss codes and it works fine, have had it for 7 or more months and only problem we ever had was running a a/f meter on same o2 censor. used old 1 wire from a Honda now. but get this right the computer can be reflashed to the supercharged setting, the sensors that are different will make no difference. all you need to do is the map and air temp sensor change. then rest is all compatible with the ecm with the reflash. argue till you are blue, i have it it works fine! was done by Saturn of Lancaster, pa and than had the stage flash put in and never a problem. i have auto and that does not even matter the transmission is controlled with it's own computer. all you need to do is 1 call dealer see if your ecm part number is the same as any of the years with the supercharger, if so you are good. 2 install the kit. 3 take to dealer and have your program changed to supercharged model, will take around 40 min. if they are any good.4 beat the hell out anything your up against!!! i walk away fro c-5's with no problem. and the computer works with out a skip in beat, even now with the compound set up thank you. argue away, i have it done and people like you guys are why people don't ask question, cause you tell them it will not work so no one tries. well i did it works, thank you

Dude...do you have an Ion or an Ion Redline?

I even know people who HAVE tried to reflash their Ions with the Redline reflash. It DOESN'T work, their car didn't even run.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:23 AM

Official STC Drunk Hot Tub Guy #1

Me: they throw cf on everything next thing you know there guna have ricer condoms specaily made out of carbon fiber
Jayson: they should make carbon fiber dildos for the really fast bitches
[quote="Schizzo97SC2"]I knew some guy that told me you can make a saturn fast, what a retard.
i hate emo i wish it would die maybe i could help them orginaize a mass suicide
Saturday, December 09, 2006 1:02 PM
it is a 4 door ion. the computers are the same you do not reflash it you delete the sdn. program and reload the redline specs as long as you change the map and injectors it works no problem!! than you flash it with the stage kit. it took 40 min. at the dealer. i can even give you the # to the dealer if you want to speak to service they know me and will do the same for anyone. keep arguing it will get no were, I'm just stating what was done and it works!!!!! sorry if you do not agree. it has been done and is done!!!! thank you

Saturday, December 09, 2006 3:09 PM

Official STC Drunk Hot Tub Guy #1

Me: they throw cf on everything next thing you know there guna have ricer condoms specaily made out of carbon fiber
Jayson: they should make carbon fiber dildos for the really fast bitches
[quote="Schizzo97SC2"]I knew some guy that told me you can make a saturn fast, what a retard.
i hate emo i wish it would die maybe i could help them orginaize a mass suicide
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search