RSM Supercharger anyone? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RSM Supercharger anyone?
Thursday, April 21, 2005 5:15 PM
Anyone have, or driven, an RSM supercharged Ecotec Cavalier?

I like the idea of an emissions legal 60hp gain for a little over three grand on a stock engine, especially since that would quickly turn into a 200-210hp car with aftermarket header and exhaust. I would figure it's a pretty good kit since it's based around Vortech (lot of good experiences with Vortech). Would prefer a kit with an intercooler, but that's probably not very feasible (still, gotta love intercooled superchargers).

Re: RSM Supercharger anyone?
Friday, April 22, 2005 3:35 PM
Ed Evans wrote:Anyone have, or driven, an RSM supercharged Ecotec Cavalier?

I like the idea of an emissions legal 60hp gain for a little over three grand on a stock engine, especially since that would quickly turn into a 200-210hp car with aftermarket header and exhaust. I would figure it's a pretty good kit since it's based around Vortech (lot of good experiences with Vortech). Would prefer a kit with an intercooler, but that's probably not very feasible (still, gotta love intercooled superchargers).

go check over at www.jbody.org there some open topics about that

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Friday, April 22, 2005 5:40 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=63648&t=63648

There's some typical JBO drama in there, but cut through it and it's a good read.

Sunday, April 24, 2005 12:19 PM
Every dealing with RSM has been bad in my point of view. I bought a strut bar from them at jbash it did not even fit. It bent the hood up. They never returned any emails. But my friend brian ordered a 3.4L vortec kit from them and the pipes were not cut right. They were eather too short or too long. I think it took 6mths-1 year to get the supercharger bracket from them. They were vary hard to get hold of and when you did they said that they would give him other stuff for his wait and problems wich they never fallowed through with eather. Their USA company is HighRev. I'm not posting this to flame but since we have gotten screwed it ismy duty to let anyone who is interested to let them know. I think that they have bad customer service and there are other places you can go to get the parts that you want. This is just my .02 on the SC kit from RSM and their company.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Sunday, April 24, 2005 4:37 PM
I heard that they were awesome to deal with, however getting them to return my emails/questions has been a pain.

Think I'll just look into a supercharged 2.0L crate engine - cheapest way to go. Buy a high mileage Cav for next to nothing and then drop this in there instead of rebuilding the engine and then spending $3500 on a supercharger (or $5000 for the Stage II), when the whole engine with s/c is only $3800 from SDPC. I'd end up saving enough to get aftermarket heads, headers, et cetera, plus have a destroked Ecotec (I love destroked engines - they rev great).
Monday, April 25, 2005 4:27 AM
Yea, that would be a lot less work.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Thursday, April 28, 2005 8:04 AM
This supercharged cylinder Crate Engine (RPO L6SJ1) has the following features:

DOHCwith Sequential Fuel Injection
Bore is 86.00 mm and Stroke is 86.00 mm with 9.5:1 compression ratio
502 Horsepower @ 5600 RPM and 200 lb-ft Torque @ 4000 RPM
This engine powers the current Sature Ion Redline
This production engine includes: exhaust manifold, intake manifolds, injectors, fuel rail, balancer and water pump.

502 Horsepower That has to be a typo.
Friday, April 29, 2005 5:12 AM
Yea that has to be a typo but that sounds like a lot less work and those parts are made to work w/ each other and is GM. We need picks when you get it!

Friday, April 29, 2005 5:24 PM
josh Griswold wrote:This supercharged cylinder Crate Engine (RPO L6SJ1) has the following features:

This production engine includes: exhaust manifold, intake manifolds, injectors, fuel rail, balancer and water pump.

indeed a typo.

My Car Specs
Monday, May 16, 2005 7:50 PM
you know you post a good question? i posted on many different forums about this same question...Reason being you ask? I would like to see the numbers they make on a stock 2.2L eco motor...

i have yet talked to any guys that have the RSM kit and i am trying to compare my numbers with there numbers....

this will be interesting
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:00 PM
I won't EVER buy from HiRev again. I will leave it at that.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:29 PM
Im awaiting for the GM Eco Supercharger to come out...

Its a matter of weeks. Part numbers are everywhere !

My Car Specs
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:31 PM
josh Griswold wrote:This supercharged cylinder Crate Engine (RPO L6SJ1) has the following features:

Yeah it is a typo, its supposed to be 205HP, not 502HP.

Monday, November 21, 2005 7:23 PM
Personally I haven't driven an RSM supercharged equipped Ecotec Cavalier. GM is coming out with a supercharger kit part number 1780003. Read more at this link: www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/race_shop_build_book.htm

The GM kit comes with a certificate for reflashing the PCM on the car. I've tried contacting GM to see if the PCM reflash raises the speed limiter on the car to match that of the SS Supercharged Cobalt, reported to have a top speed of 145 MPH. GM will warranty the installation of the supercharger kit (I believe that is only if a GM dealer does the installation). GM says if you were to drive the car after you installed the supercharger kit before the PCM gets reflashed by a GM dealer, you have voided any warranty GM would extend towards the purchaser of their supercharger kit.

RSM will only reflash the ECU and/or PCM on supercharger kits they sell. They don't offer this service as an aftermarket accessory. I've already checked on this.

Which ever kit is the more reliable is the one I'd go with. It appears from reading the GM
Sport Compact Build Book that their supercharger kit has a provision to install an intercooler.

None of the local GM dealers in Central Ohio (Columbus, Newark) is familiar with the GM Supercharget kit, the PCM reflash just yet. Interesting how GM can post a part number for a product that the dealers haven't heard of and can't order yet. I contacted Pace Performance and they told me the supercharger kit won't be available until sometime next year.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search