intercooler - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
intercooler
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:03 PM
I just recently installed the GM performance division supercharger kit. I am very pleased with it, but I would like to add a front mount intercooler. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should start looking and how much of a difference it will make? I figured I am going to have to fabricate something up, i'm just curious if anyone has done it yet, or has any suggestions. thanks

Re: intercooler
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:36 PM
As far as I know, FMIC's won't work what so ever on a car that has a Roots type S/C. You will have to get all the necessary parts to the Heat Exchanger instead. I might be wrong though.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:29 AM
Patrick Rapin wrote:I just recently installed the GM performance division supercharger kit. I am very pleased with it, but I would like to add a front mount intercooler. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should start looking and how much of a difference it will make? I figured I am going to have to fabricate something up, i'm just curious if anyone has done it yet, or has any suggestions. thanks

It's not possible...you're thinking of an air to air cooler which turbocharged vehicles use to cool down compressed air from the turbocharger. In your case, your supercharger sits right on top of your manifold and blows downwards into your manifold. In order to cool this down, you would need another type of intercooler...most call it an "aftercooler" except this wouldn't be an air-to-air cooler, this would work just like your Radiator does except it would be cooling down the air charge in your manifold.

To purchase this, you need to contact the dealership that installed it for you or a GM Performance dealership and tell them you want the aftercooler setup and they'll get it for you and set it up...only problem is that it's gonna be more cake out of your pocket ($$$).

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:30 AM
Also, just to clarify, you can use an air to air cooler on a Centrifugal Supercharger setup...it's possible and I've seen it done, just not possible on a roots charger.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:11 PM
you can intercool that supercharger what do you think the ss/sc cobalts have!!!!!!!

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 5:30 PM
How much does all the rest of the needed parts cost for the aftercooler?

GIT 'ER DONE!
Friday, July 28, 2006 6:35 AM
That is the main reason I asked about the intercooler, because I have seen them on the front of the cobalt SS's. I'm not that famailiar with the SS's that is why i brought it up, i though that i might be able to use that or something similar to that becuase i know i pretty much have the same blower setup.
All in all, i'm pretty much just looking to beat a cobalt SS with a few mods (cold air intake, exhaust, etc., just little stuff)
I did the supercharger, i have yet to do a header or high flow cat, and a TRUE cold air intake. Becuase right now, my car has custom exhaust from the cat back, a K&N filter bolted to the side of my supercharger, and the rest of it is stock (currently only 3500 miles on the whole car, so i don't plan on using nitrous) Also, in a race from a stand still all the way through 3rd gear, the cobalt ss pulls by about a 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths.
I'm not planning on going crazy, just a few little mods, and i know an intercooler would look cool as hell inside my front bumper. My car is not a race car, it is more a show car, but i do drive it a lot now, and I'm just lookin to have some fun with it.
So any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
~Pat
Sunday, August 06, 2006 10:53 AM
wow hahahaha

a cobalt ss does NOT have a front mount inetrcooler im not sure if what u see is the heat exchanger or the ac condensor but its not a fmic

Sunday, August 06, 2006 3:42 PM
Cheesecake is right. Unless they put a cooler in there so that it does absolutely nothing but add vehicle mass
Thursday, April 05, 2007 3:51 PM
On the Ion Redline (and I assume the Cobalt SS as well), the S/C intercooler is sandwiched between the radiator and the A/C condensor. It's not the same type used for Turbos. Their water cooled, not air cooled.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search