2.2 ecotec turbo kit for auto? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 ecotec turbo kit for auto?
Monday, July 02, 2007 8:58 PM
This sorta goes with the header question, but if i got a turbo kit for the car, would i need a turbo exhaust header? Also, were could i get a good stage 1 turbo kit for a 2.2L ecotec auto? I seen hahn stage 1 turbo but its only for the manual trans?

- 2003 CHEVY CAVALIER LS SPORT ECOTEC -

- Current Mods -
-- Vibrant Exhaust & DC Sport Header --
-- Lower Motor Mount & TTR Upper Motor Mount --
-- B&M ShiftPlus & Vibrant Front STB --
-- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake --

RIP DAD<3 We love & miss you so much!

Re: 2.2 ecotec turbo kit for auto?
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:36 AM
The turbo manifold would replace your header.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:07 AM
I would just reccomend replacing the automatic, they are no fun and power robbing.
Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:57 AM
Jeremy Schwanke wrote:I would just reccomend replacing the automatic, they are no fun and power robbing.

1. To replace your transmission, it's very costly and timely to do because you're not only replacing the transmission but you're also installing a clutch pedal, clutch assembly, a new computer and the list goes on. It's overall not worth doing for a street car in most cases.

2. You're better off upgrading your automatic transmission if you're even thinking of doing a manual swap. STOCK transmissions have a higher drivetrain loss...not built ones.

3. Even if the transmission is stock, it doesn't mean it can't be quick

4. What is "Fun" is up to the user

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:43 PM
automatic = -40hp lost at the wheels over a manual transmission has around 15-20 that is all i can tell u being the owner of both an engine and chassis dyno.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:52 AM
So because you own a engine and chassis dyno you know what every engines power will lose to the wheels?

I could have sworn that people went by % depending on the drivetrain setup but now it's -40. Gotcha.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:42 PM
Just goin by averages I realize replacing the auto is a @!#$ty job, but most performance stuff is 4 manual thats all
Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:52 PM
Both automatics and manuals are good. I wouldnt go about replacing the auto tranny with a manual unless your gonna get serious about racing. Also you can launch a manual off the line getting boost just sitting there, but if your a @!#$ty shifter then the auto rebuild is alot better off for you. It just depends on what your gonna do with your car. In my opinion i would replace the tranny with a manual but then again cars are my hobby and i love working with them and spending hours doing stuff.
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 11:21 AM
Jer- you build boost with an auto tranny sitting there also, its just as easy as a manual and actually autos are way better for racing. 95% of all drag cars you see that are high hp and fast are automatic. they are way more consistant than manuals (dont miss shifts), and they dont lose boost in between shifts and if their built, they hardly rob any power, actually if i remember right, a full built auto robs less power than a manual tranny. there is an endless amount of things that can be done to auto trannys. they handle boost better.

im doing a fully built 4t40e auto tranny with a full gm performance parts eco build and garrett dual ball bearing gt35r. im gonna see what the auto built can do.

on my stock 4t40 with only 10psi i ran a 13.8@104.3mph. that was stock motor and stock tranny on 18's.

AUTO FTW!!!!

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:53 PM
Hey Bonnet, what is a good psi running a TD04 on my auto Eco? This is with a stock tranny tuned with faster and harder shifts and then a tranny cooler.

-15.733 @ 86.893mph - Slowly Progressing 04 N/A 2.2L Cavalier
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:52 PM
i had a tranny cooler on mine also. i ran 10psi and it did just fine. i would say 8-10psi for you, you could go more depending on how much you will run the crap out of your car, maybe 12-15psi. i know acer ran a 12.9 on his 4t40e on 15psi and it only had tranny cooler

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:03 PM
what internals did he have???

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:16 PM
he was either stock block or he had just rods and pistons, i really forget

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:30 PM
yeah im all stock interanals. What fuel pump and regulator did ya use?

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:59 PM
used just 370cc injectors with gm eco reflash with td04h turbo. stock pump and regulator

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 9:21 AM
what did GM charge you for the flash? Can you still tune the ECU (using HPTuners) after GM flashed it?

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 3:22 PM
u send me your ecu plus $50 and i will send you my reflashed ecu so you dont have to go through the problems with getting the reflash for the turbo
no you cant tune the ecu anymore after getting the reflash

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:38 PM
why do they lock it? thats stupid! well i cant send you my ecu since its my only means of transportation. otherwise i'd probably do it. HPTuners cant even get passed the lock?

Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:51 PM
no hpt cannot get past the lock that they have on the gm eco reflashed ecu

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:45 PM
Bonnett wrote:u send me your ecu plus $50 and i will send you my reflashed ecu so you dont have to go through the problems with getting the reflash for the turbo
no you cant tune the ecu anymore after getting the reflash

you still got that ecu....this sounds interesting....as im trying to run turbo on my car...but ups lost my piggy back in transit and now im thinkin about doing the reflash on my ecu....but i think $50 is a good deal. oh btw this is a 2005 2.2l cobalt that im turboing...will ur ecu fit my car
Monday, January 07, 2008 7:52 PM
Ok I have read this thread and am confused. So can you use the Hahn turbo kit for the Ecotec with the automatic? I myself have an automatic and still have fun driving my car.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:30 AM
Clint Propps wrote:Ok I have read this thread and am confused. So can you use the Hahn turbo kit for the Ecotec with the automatic? I myself have an automatic and still have fun driving my car.

No you can't. The charge pipe design would interfere with the transmission.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 3:14 PM
So then I have to go supercharged? Would the s/c on the Redline work on the 2.2L?
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:53 PM
well i suppose you could use it just fab up some really custom charge pipes? or can you just plain not fit them?

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 3:54 PM
Clint Propps wrote:So then I have to go supercharged? Would the s/c on the Redline work on the 2.2L?

Theoretically, yes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search