Cobarl SS Supercharger in a 2.2L Cavalier? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobarl SS Supercharger in a 2.2L Cavalier?
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:17 PM
I just bought a 2003 Cavalier with a 2.2L Ecotec and i saw on the internet that it was possible to put a supercharger from a Cobalt SS into my Cavalier. If this is true could somebody give me the link to a write-up about this or name me off all the parts that i would need. My idea would be find a crashed Cobalt in a scrap yard and rip all the parts that i would need out of it, and buy some if i need some. And also i'd like some info on how much more horsepower i would get from this.

Re: Cobarl SS Supercharger in a 2.2L Cavalier?
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 6:02 PM
Link to a How-To.

I did it. Getting all the parts is the biggest PITA. Keep an eye on the Group Purchase forum on J-body.org, im currently working with a company to develop a bolt on TB adapter so you can use a LS1 TB(it's the same size as the inlet to the S/C).

I made 219whp on a dynojet with these mods on an internally stock 2.2L Ecotec.
* Eaton M62 S/C
* Nate's 3.1" pulley
* GM Stage 2 belt
* OTTP Dualpass endplate
* Mustang Cobra Heat Exchanger
* LSJ injectors
* "Custom" intake w/ K&N filter
* GM Reflash
* NGK LTR6IX-11 spark plugs
* RKsport spark plug springs
* RKsport upper and lower engine mounts
* TTR solid tranny mounts
* RD Fabs 2" primary long tube header
* Full 3" Atomic exhaust

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Thursday, September 09, 2010 7:50 AM
How much did it cost you for the whole project? And also you wrote that the sc is Eaton, is that what the sc from the cobalt is or its an aftermarket sc? And im not a mecanic and dont have to tools so i wouldnt be able to do it myself, i'd have to pay a mecanic too.
Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:17 AM
I ended up paying close to $2k(probably a bit more) to get my car running with the S/C. I wasnt able to get everything i needed off the donor Cobalt because it wasnt junked, just going turbo instead.

The supercharger that comes in the GM kit and on the Cobalt SS/C's is the exact same S/C. It's an Eaton M62. There are other Eaton M62s out there but their housing are not designed to work on Ecotec engines, so you need one off a cobalt.

I've done 2 S/C installs to cavaliers so far. 1 was pieced together(mine) and took me about 2 months because i had to hunt down parts and could only spend ~1 hour a weekend on it. The other was a used GM kit(Strat81 on JBO) and it took us one afternoon because we didnt have to hunt down misc odds and ends. All you need is basic hand tools, alittle common sense, and follow the directions step by step(the link in the link i posted).

Sunday, December 26, 2010 8:06 AM
Why not put an M62 supercharger on your ecotec?
Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:05 PM
michael castrechino wrote:Why not put an M62 supercharger on your ecotec?

Did you not read anything that i wrote? The S/C you have to use IS a M62.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:37 AM
hello guys, i have an 05 cavalier and i am lookin to bolt a supercharger on it. it seems to be pretty simple just a bolt on build. i havent seen people get over 250 hp on there superchargered cavaliers and thats what im lookin for but wondering if the motor, axles, and tranny are gunna hold up?? my plan is to get everything from a cobalt ss but i found 80lb injectors, i want to put cams in also, and i want to run high boost tuned for 93octane. let me know if you see any problems with what i want to doo.. also where can i find a pulley chart so i know what size is what boost??

thanks for the help
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:13 AM
Just to update the numbers/ mods.

230whp/220wtq with.
* Eaton M62 S/C
* Nate's 2.9" pulley
* GM Stage 2 belt
* OTTP Dualpass endplate
* ZZP S3 Heat Exchanger
* 63# injectors
* LS1 TB w/4" generic filter
* Custom HP Tune(safe tune, not monster power)
* NGK LTR6IX-11 spark plugs
* Full 3" Atomic exhaust

Joe Mercurio wrote:hello guys, i have an 05 cavalier and i am lookin to bolt a supercharger on it. it seems to be pretty simple just a bolt on build. i havent seen people get over 250 hp on there superchargered cavaliers and thats what im lookin for but wondering if the motor, axles, and tranny are gunna hold up?? my plan is to get everything from a cobalt ss but i found 80lb injectors, i want to put cams in also, and i want to run high boost tuned for 93octane. let me know if you see any problems with what i want to doo.. also where can i find a pulley chart so i know what size is what boost??

thanks for the help

Then engine and tranny will handle it without an issue and if you avoid wheel hop the axles will be fine.
80lb Injectors will work, but you will need a custom tune with either HP Tuners or Trifecta. Also they'll be a bit big so unless you get crazy like me, you wont run out of fuel.
All aftermarket eco cams require upgraded valve springs at the very least, especially with boost. Comp has a blower grind for supercharged L61, but their Stage 3 N/A cams are getting popular with boosted engine with pretty good reviews.
92/93 Octane is require, no matter what about of boost you run. Our L61s have 10:1 compression stock and will adding boost to it, you need the higher octance.
Different people see different PSI on the same pulleys. PSI means nothing in terms of making power. Basically the smaller the pulley, the more air and heat the S/C creates. Anything smaller than a 2.8" pulley and the added heat negated the added airflow. Also you start over spinning the charger which will decrease it's lifespan.
Water/meth injection is your friend and a good heat exchanger system is necessary.

Also the Harrop HTV1320 LSJ is a direct bolt on for S/C Cobalt and since all ecos have the same external bolt patterns, it will also fit S/C cavaliers.

The intake is a custom piece that i built myself.

Error: Sig not found.

Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:26 PM
Tinkles I sent you a message. Looking to SC my 05 LS Sport!
Monday, May 29, 2017 11:19 PM
Good idea, But I am not quite sure about your queestion.
Friday, June 02, 2017 11:57 AM
I should have updated this a bit ago.

Updated mods:
* Harrop HTV1320-LSJ Supercharger
* Stock Harrop 3.1" pulley
* GM Stage 2 belt
* OTTP Dualpass endplate
* ZZP S3 Heat Exchanger
* 63# injectors
* Racetronix W-body fuel pump
* LS1 TB w/4" AEM Dryflow
* Custom HP Tune(safe tune, not monster power)
* NGK LTR7IX-11 spark plugs
* Full 3" Atomic exhaust

I also ditched my Innovate LC-1 wideband for an AEM Uego(much better unit) and retuned the car. The car made 260whp/255wtq on another conservative tune and is on it's 5th summer with the TVS on it. The L61 is still internally stock and still kicking.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search