Control Arm Bushings #7-234 Prothane - Suspension Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Control Arm Bushings #7-234 Prothane
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:25 AM
Does anyone know how hard these control arm bushings are to install. They are part number 7-234 from Prothane. Any input would be great. Thank You

Re: Control Arm Bushings #7-234 Prothane
Monday, September 03, 2007 6:24 AM
yeah im a mechanic and it sux..its hard work but its not rocket science to do....if u need help just ask
Sunday, September 16, 2007 10:37 AM
E-Z A 1hr. Job For A Newb....(if you can use tools)
Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:18 PM
Here it is....ill share....

1st you want to get your self the bushings.....next....take off your control arm...now the easy part...put the control arm in a vice....get your self a torch…..propane one will work just will take longer....heat up the bushing and the ring....try not to heat up the control arm its self...just focus on the ring and the bushing.....after about 10-15 min of heating push on the fiery bushing and it will slide out....after its cooled down get your self a hacksaw put the blade on the inside ring and cut till you get through the ring...don’t go to far...then take a chisel or a flat head screwdriver...and bend it in so you can pop the ring out....next step is to clean it all....after its all clean...get the bushing...look how the instructions tell you to put it in...the stamped control arms are the same shape...just one is upside down...you need to put the bushing in the right way so both sit even...look at how the instructions tell you to do it...then keep the bushing the same and flip the control arm over for the other side....I will post vids and pics on my cardomain in a little while on how to do it...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119503...and if you got yourself aluminum control arms you don’t have to really do anything just put the bushing in how the instructions tell you....once you figure put what way to press the bushing in...one side will be smaller on the bushing that is the side your pressing in....its not to obvious...just take your time and look at it all...once you figure put what way to press the bushing in grease your bushing up and put it and the control arm in a vice....make sure you back the bushing with something that covers the whole bushing and keeping it flat....line it up as best as you can and start crankin it down...let the bottom of the whole thing go in 1st...Only a little bit...you don’t want to rip the bushings....once you get it at the right spot you can just wiggle the control arm around and the bushing will pop in...you may have to put a little spacer b-tween the control arm and the vice so the bushing does not hit the vice when you are trying to pull it through....if you do it right it should take you about 5 min to install the vertical bushings....the bushing that has the horizontal bolt running through it is much easier....you burn that one out much the same way..Heating up the metal until it slides out...then clean it and install the 2 halfs...then put the brass bushing through it.....the bushings for the cavi' will work in the alero and the grand am as well...and so will the trans mounts..For the getrag...give me a few days and ill get you some pics and vids up on my cardomain....i would say if you do this get some ball-joints too...

167,000 on an Ecotec since 02

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search