changing gear ratio - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
changing gear ratio
Saturday, February 23, 2008 1:29 AM
ive got the 4t40e and while i was cruising the net i came across something that mentioned changing the sprocket size on the engine to tranny chain to change the gear ratio for all gears. if any one knows anything about this subject, please post away. or if the LSDs are available in a lower gearing.

Listen F***ers. FASTERTHANAHONDA is a joke because I WORK FOR HONDA. I'll talk @!#$ about Fords to, that doesn't mean I can beat a 12 second mustang.

Re: changing gear ratio
Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:21 AM
Do you have a link for it? I've never heard of an engine to tranny chain before.
Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:28 PM
is that not how the power is transmited from the crank/TC/flexplate tyo the transmission sitting behind the motor in alot of front wheel drive cars? iv'e heard the term before "power is transfered to the gearbox via a double roller chain" on wikipedia or something. i've only taken apart one tranny before and it was an old bug's. i'd just like to make my 3rd gear a little less of a handicap, even if i hit it sooner.

Listen F***ers. FASTERTHANAHONDA is a joke because I WORK FOR HONDA. I'll talk @!#$ about Fords to, that doesn't mean I can beat a 12 second mustang.
Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:41 PM
I would suggest you read http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm on automatic transmissions. I have never seen a chain in one.
Monday, February 25, 2008 8:46 PM
you definitely no chains in automatic or manual trannys
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:19 PM
bottom of the parts list, below the general description?

i've seen a blueprint and didn't see a chain but....idk wtf

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:51 PM
Ok not sure if I'm looking at the right part on that picture, but i see there are 2 chains on the parts list. Now, after re-reading your second post about 3rd gear being handicapped, I have no idea what you mean by this because for me and the 3 other cavs and fires iI've driven, 3rd is a good strong power gear.

Don't know or really think that this part is really going to help you out to obtain you goal. Also no idea about the LSD being geared lower. I'm not trying to say "NO DONT GO AND BUY THIS" I just think I would stay with parts that are more commonly know about, and help you save some money.
Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:18 PM
Matthew Strong wrote:Ok not sure if I'm looking at the right part on that picture, but i see there are 2 chains on the parts list. Now, after re-reading your second post about 3rd gear being handicapped, I have no idea what you mean by this because for me and the 3 other cavs and fires iI've driven, 3rd is a good strong power gear.

Don't know or really think that this part is really going to help you out to obtain you goal. Also no idea about the LSD being geared lower. I'm not trying to say "NO DONT GO AND BUY THIS" I just think I would stay with parts that are more commonly know about, and help you save some money.

your talking about 3rd in the auto? my buddy said it almost looks like im sandbagging when i hit 3rd.

and that was just an example of a site that mentions a drive chain.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:57 PM
there is a drive chain in the auto. it is kind of deep into the trans and the only way to it is to remove the trans from the vehicle. the chain is located underneath the case side of the valve body. the valve body is under the trans pan on the side of the trans. maybe this will help out somehow. this is the common design on every front drive gm trans ive had apart, 3 or 4 speed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search