97cavy trans vs 2003 ecotec trans - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97cavy trans vs 2003 ecotec trans
Friday, March 26, 2010 3:07 AM
Ok.... So i recently bought a 1997 chevy cavalier RS . Well i was gonna wait to put the ecotec in it and slowly work on it over time and
drive it time to time. But a few weeks later as i was driving it i felt like i lost something but it was too dark to tell. Well if i let off the gas all the way i hear a loud wuhhhh sound and kinda sounds like my stick is vibrating? Also one of my friends was inside and told me another thing he noticed was the spider something... sounded like it was falling apart. Anyways he said you might as well just get a new transmission put in. My problem is i wanted to wait a little while and build up more money before i spent my last dime throwing the ecotec inside it. Well i still want to daily drive this car and i was wondering. Can i put another 1997 manual transmission in my cavy and be able to hook it up to a ecotec engine? Or would i have to get another transmission put in when i went to put the ecotec engine in later. Also how complicated would it be to put a 2003-2005 ecotec engine inside the 1997 chevy cavalier RS 2d coupe?
Also what about the chevy colbalt 2.4L ls ecotec?

Re: 97cavy trans vs 2003 ecotec trans
Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:15 PM
Robby Robertson wrote:Can i put another 1997 manual transmission in my cavy and be able to hook it up to a ecotec engine?

No, the bellhousings are different and will not bolt up.

Robby Robertson wrote: Also how complicated would it be to put a 2003-2005 ecotec engine inside the 1997 chevy cavalier RS 2d coupe?

You have to buy a complete 03-05 cavalier or sunfire and swap EVERYTHING over. 95-99 cavs/sunfires do not have the electronics to support an ecotec.

Robby Robertson wrote:Also what about the chevy colbalt 2.4L ls ecotec?

Electronics will not support it, plus the VVT is very difficult to control.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:52 AM
I see...=(

Well...i guess i should of just waited and got the ecotec. Sad really as much work as i had to put into this one...Another thousand and i could of just got a nice red one with only 80k miles on it...sigh oh well live and learn. Thanks for info
Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:26 AM
you don't have to swap to an ecotec. go to j-body.org and read in the third gen forum. you could swap to a 2.4 ld9, very comparable engine to the 2.2 l61

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search