AEM CIA questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AEM CIA questions
Monday, January 10, 2005 4:51 PM
how suceptable is this intake to water, snow or whatever might get sucked up into that bad boy? and is it possible to re rout that air filter and tube to a differnet location?
can i hack some of that stuff up to make it shorter and fit in place of the factory intake?
i like the location of the factory intake and i dont like how the AEM shoots downward? have they changed this lately or am i screwed because i just bought one a few days ago and i didnt know that it was set up like this

Re: AEM CIA questions
Monday, January 10, 2005 8:48 PM
i just ordered one, and im really thinking about just getting the air bypass valve, the will block the water and what not from entering, and its only like 40 bucks or something. Lots of peopole will sya dont bother, but if your like me and dont want to risk hydrolocking, its a worthwhile investment
Monday, January 10, 2005 8:53 PM
see i think it would be a good thing but if it wasnt designed the way it is we wouldnt have that problem correct? i dont understand why the filter is so low... why does it not just take the place of the factory intake? i really dont see the point i know you want to draw air away from the engine heat but u still have that hole there to suck air from so realistically i dont see why it needs to be so low. i seriously thought of cutting mine when i got it or rigging it to fit directly where the stock one did. i likes yur DIY post it got me thinking
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 10:09 AM
i just realized i said cia instead of cai...haha
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 3:36 PM
You won't have any problems that most people have. The bottom part of the fender shroud will cover the intake system. I have had it one for the last 9 months. I have not had any problems. Just don't go through any really deep puddles thats all. If you want your cavalier to be an off road truck than don't buy one. But the hourse power is much greater than a short ram intake.
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 4:44 PM
ok i mean i like the short ram look i guess thats what i like... but i just wasnt sure why the aem cai is designed this way. i realize this now and am happy w the choice i made... i just got the jitters because i ordered without doing any major research... i just went by word of mouth. i had no idea it was designed that way. thanks for yur help wayne killinger
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 8:55 PM
so you operating without the bypass valve? if its not really nessesary i qwont order it...but tis my winter driver also, living in flin flin manitoba cananda qinters are pretty rediculous....ive heard the bypass hinders the performance and function of the aem cai...does anyoine know any truth to this or if its totally false?
Wednesday, January 12, 2005 4:33 PM
i also have heard that the bypass valve defetes the purpose of an aftermarket intake... i currently am waiting for mine to be shipped and will post when i get it. im putting up w winter here too but its nuts because we hit 60 today whats up w that? it went from 0 to 60 in a day, wierd... tons of water... i took off my fender shroud to see if it was wet inside of there... i seen no wetness but did notice alot of dirt... thats why we haev the filter. i think i will be perfectly fine without the bypass valve but thats me
Friday, January 21, 2005 8:52 AM
the cai is so low because if it were to be placed in the stock location it would be bringing in air that could be as hot as 200 degrees, not exactly cold. with the filter in the fender well it draws in the much colder air coming off the ground. i have a 02 grand am and just found a cai for my car
Saturday, January 22, 2005 10:37 PM
what about an air dam...like drawing air from outside through your hood?
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:38 AM
the bypass valve will hinder your performance a little bit , but if you're like me ( i live in wisconsin) and you drive through snow and/or especially rain it is well worth the $45. i look at it this way: if you're spending $200+ on the intake you should have another $50 lying around... and besides that the bypass valve replaces the hump hose that connects the two inlet pipes, therefore it takes about two minutes to swap the two. i usually drive my car without the valve on, but if its raining or snowing its nice to know that i dont have to worry about hydrolocking my car

ecopower

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 11:47 PM
i want the aem whos got it and who likes the performance
Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:11 PM
I have a CAI on my 04 cavalier and drove during rain and snow, no need for a bypass valve.

Member of NEJBODY

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search