KYB GR-2 VS KYB AGX - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
KYB GR-2 VS KYB AGX
Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:56 AM
Guys,
Does anyone out there have the KYB GR-2's.. I have H & R springs and would like some good shocks, but don't want to spend additional money on Koni or Tokico if KYB GR-2's would be good enough. I"m not looking for super super handling, but some pretty decent handling. What makes the AGX more expensive is the adjustable feature. Do I really need that? What can you guys say about GR-2's. THanks

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: KYB GR-2 VS KYB AGX
Saturday, June 18, 2005 4:37 PM
the GR2s are a slightly better than stock, stock replacement strut.

The AGX are a more performance minded damper, they good for a drop down to about 1.5 inches. Zach over @ J-bbodyhas them with the H&R springs. tthereason they cost more is because they are made to handle lowering the car, where as ttheGR2 and the like are NOT. If you decide to lower on OEM replacement style struts you need to know that you will blow the struts and have an unstable car in a very short time. they just can't handle the extra stress, and you will be replacing them again, and spending more money in the end.

the adjust-ability of of the struts, well think of it as a bonus for for buying smart. you can set the harness of the struts, in the front is a small set screw in the rear is a knob on the outside of the strut. it is a definite plus when it comes to a lowered ride, and the AGX are a good choice for a mild drop. everyone sayes to try E-bay for the best price. I was very happy that I could adjust my ride after everything was on the car. I was looking for Reds when I got a good deal on the Yellows. they were more work to put on but i happy with the choice I made. I'm more in to all out road carving myself so I wanted more from the start. AGX is just fine for everyday with a mild drop, again OEM replacements are not made to do the job you want them to do. here is a link to the Suspension FAQ. good luck, if you have any questions just ask.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 10:50 PM
AGX's are fine for H&R's. i have agx's with rk coilovers and they seem to be holding up just fine. i adjust them alot for drag's and autox. as for corner carving it is all in the setup. yellows are better because they are rebuildable and you can fine tune them better because the way they adjust. here is a vid of my car on agx's and rk-coilovers
http://www.airtonics.com/jbodyautox05/MauricesOpener05run4.WMV

see ya!

Thursday, June 23, 2005 10:37 AM
Cinny and Nova,
Thanks for the posts. It seems the performance I'm looking for would be in the Yellow/Reds/Agx category. The video of your car Nova looks really good! How come the rear wheel lifts up like that? Do you need a rear sway bar or tie bar? Or is that the way you adjusted your rear shocks and so on tight cornering the car pulls up?
Thanks

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Thursday, June 23, 2005 1:58 PM
I read a post where Event was talking to Zach about his rear wheel coming off the ground, I think in was in the post about Event making his own rear tie bar, but I'm not sure on that. I think that it had something to do with have a smaller front sway bar than the rear and it causeing oversteer, and in the extreem handeling of auto-X that rear tire lifts because the front bar is getting more stress than the rear. its been a long day at work so I know that I goufed it somewhere, but it''s close.

FYI my spell check doesn't work, please pick the next closest word thank you and PZ out

Saturday, June 25, 2005 8:53 PM
lol! the rear tire lifts because of the rear sway bar stiffness the sway-bars work is by decreasing traction by picking up/unloading the inside wheel. to a point! shocks and springs have allot to do with grip too, and don't forget alignment settings. in a car with a twist beam rear axle lifting the inside rear tire is a good thing to a point.

my car handles even better now than it did in that video

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search