New member/modder - some questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New member/modder - some questions
Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:53 PM
Hi people, I figured I should join this forum since i have much to learn from its members!

I own a 2004 Sunfire (2.2L Ecotec), and I have done the following mods to it:

-225/18/40 Nankang lo-pro tires
-18" 5 Spoke gunmetal rims (pictures tomorrow)
-Gun metal Ractive shift knob (the one with many holes in it, like the barrel of a machine gun)
-K&N short shift kit
-K&N racing springs
-blue xenon/krypton hi/lo beams
-ractive aluminum pedals
-bomz racing CAI
-Kenwood [forget model..] mp3 player 52W
-Door lock actuators installed in doors and programmed to remote - power locks
-Compustar alarm system/immobilizer (blue flashy light on dashboard)

I'll post some pictures tomorrow hopefully.

Anyway, I have the following questions pertaining to future mods:

I'm looking to install a lightweight flywheel. I found one company, Fidanza, which seems to make pretty high quality flywheels. Anyway, is 8.5 pounds too light? Is 11 more realistic? I'm not a drag racer, nor will I ever do the quarter mile, but I do like to zip around the streets and attempt to show people up off the line. Anyway, I heard that getting too light a flywheel can make your car deccelerate faster once you remove your foot from the pedal. Is this true? Is the 11 pound light metal flywheel better for me than the 8.5 pound aluminum racing flywheel for this reason? How much of a performance gain should I expect from either of these flywheels?

Secondly, I'm going to install headers on my car. Since I'm a street driver, should I go for the 4-2-1 design as opposed to the 4-1 design? Does anyone know which design is better for street purposes? (Not always reving at 6k..) The only 4-2-1 design I can find is RKSport... does any other company make 4-2-1 headers for my Ecotec? Also, would new headers be pointless if i haven't replaced my cat/exhaust system?

I'll stop there

Thanks a lot,

Matt

Re: New member/modder - some questions
Friday, July 22, 2005 12:14 AM
Another question:

I'm looking to install spark plugs, and, from what I've read on this forum, NGK looks like the way to go. I'm going to pay attention to most people's complaints against Bosch, and apparantly NGK makes the ACDelco plugs... so NGK Iridium plugs seem like the best choice to me. Anyway, is this correct? If so, will I notice any gains at all over a completely stock engine? I found the following plug on NGK's website: model PTR5A-13... will this fit the ecotec engine for the car mentioned above? It says 2.2L l4 F, I'm not sure if that means my engine. Thanks!

Matt
Friday, July 22, 2005 7:53 AM
Matthew Housser wrote:Since I'm a street driver, should I go for the 4-2-1 design as opposed to the 4-1 design? Does anyone know which design is better for street purposes? (Not always reving at 6k..) The only 4-2-1 design I can find is RKSport... does any other company make 4-2-1 headers for my Ecotec? Also, would new headers be pointless if i haven't replaced my cat/exhaust system?

The 4-2-1 header is going to help you out more on Low End Performance ( Acceleration , so if you like to launch off the line , this would be a good bet for you )
Rk Sport makes one , and Weapon R makes an EXCELLENT ONE.
If interested in purchasing the Weapon R one, go to www.DefinedParts.com and to talk to Bryan , hes a great guy.

The 4 - 1 is more of a high end power, you really start feeling the pull at like 4k until redline.

If you replace just you header , your not really going to feel much . Your best bet would be to get a Catco or Magnaflow high flow cat. A 18+ inch resonator , and nice quality muffler ( Magnaflow or Borla , is usually the best choice )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also alot of people will tell you to use the stock ACDelco plugs , they are designed for the engine and they will work best. You really wouldn't feel a difference on a totally stock engine. The only time you need to change plugs is when your either boosted or running nitrous.

I hope i helped you out a bit , and feel free to ask anymore questions .

Friday, July 22, 2005 8:30 AM
So exhaust before headers then? That's what I was suspecting...

Would I just replace my cat/muffler, or would i have to get an entire cat-back kit and replace all the pipes everywhere?

Thanks,

Matt
Friday, July 22, 2005 9:15 AM
Your best idea, and cheapest way. Order the Header / Highflow Cat / Resonator and muffler off the internet. ( Cascustoms.net , Gravanatuning.com , SummitRacing.com , JEGs.com )

Then when you have them all in hand , bring them to a local exhaust shop and get them to put it on and bend you the piping of your choice.
2 1/4 inch for NA ....
2 1/2 + inch if you plan on running boost sometime in the future.

I've done it with two cars now , and the gains feel so good, the ride home from the exhaust shop is the best feeling !

Friday, July 22, 2005 9:17 AM
Despite what some might say , you dont really need "Mandrel" bent piping ( Mandrel is perfectly circular pipe the whole length of the car , best for boost and high HP cars )
Compression bends for us are more then able to handle the flow and give us gains .

Friday, July 22, 2005 9:39 AM
Please excuse this poor software engineer for being so uninformed.. but what do you guys mean when you say 'boost'..?! I always assumed you guys meant 'nitrous', but now I see people saying 'nitrous OR boost'... so they're two different things? Boost == turbocharged?

Thanks
Friday, July 22, 2005 11:01 AM
It okay man , everyone has to start somewhere .

Boost = Supercharged or Turboed
Nitrous = Juiced , Bottled

For us Ecos , the only Supercharger we have out right now is the RSM Racing one.
GM's should be coming out the end of the summer.

As for boost , Hahn has a great turbo kit for us , but alot of people have custom made turbos.

Friday, July 22, 2005 11:28 AM
Cool, thanks for the info.

So back to the exhaust system.. you gave me a list of websites.. are those in any specific order? What website is best for each part? Also, what is the difference between a 'resonator' and a muffler?

Thanks again
Friday, July 22, 2005 12:58 PM
No i just gave you a couple of places you could purchase that stuff from .

Well i got my header from GravanaTuning.com
I Got my Purple Hornie Resonator from Summit Racing
( Cherry bomb resonators or glasspacks , work just at well )
I Got my Magnaflow muffler from Summit Racing

A resonator is a fatter peice of pipe that goes before your muffler to quiet everything down and to stop raspyness..

Click for pic of Chery Bomb Resonator.

A muffler is what gives you your tone of the exhaust.
A Cannister style muffler tends to be more raspy and loud. ( Like Apexi N1 , HKS )
A over style muffler are usually deeper tone ( Magnaflow , Borla )

Friday, July 22, 2005 3:05 PM
I'll check those out after work...

This 'Bryan' guy.. is he responsive? I sent him an email with some questions on the Weapon R 4-2-1 header you suggested I get, but he still hasn't answered..

-Matt

Friday, July 22, 2005 3:21 PM
The reason I ask is because I'm usually reluctant to deal with people who aren't responsive.. I want all shipping questions/etc answered fairly quickly, so as to make me feel more comfortable about my expensive online purchase.
Friday, July 22, 2005 3:29 PM
Wow , thats odd, i know him personally , and i will see him tommorow. His AIM screename is "DefinedParts" , he is usually there, he might have been busy, its the end of the week.

I promise you though , he will help you out and his shipping is always on time.

I've bought two secret weapon intakes and a couple other goodies with no problem.

I'll talk to him and see what's going on , just hang in there .

Friday, July 22, 2005 3:38 PM
Well that's reassuring then. Sounds like a good guy to deal with.

BTW, i emailed ''support@definedparts.com''.. perhaps he doesn't check this one?

Where do you guys live? Somewhere in the States I take it?
Friday, July 22, 2005 8:29 PM
Here's my lowering job/wheel/tire job, and my CAI:

URL=http://www.sfu.ca/~mhousser/Pics/DSCF0158.JPG]pic1[/URL]
URL=http://www.sfu.ca/~mhousser/Pics/DSCF0159.JPG]pic2[/URL]
URL=http://www.sfu.ca/~mhousser/Pics/DSCF0128.JPG]pic3[/URL]
URL=http://www.sfu.ca/~mhousser/Pics/DSCF0129.JPG]pic4[/URL]
URL=http://www.sfu.ca/~mhousser/Pics/DSCF0127.JPG]pic5[/URL]
Friday, July 22, 2005 8:29 PM
Let me try this agin...Here's my lowering job/wheel/tire job, and my CAI:

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5
Friday, July 22, 2005 8:59 PM
Wow i really like it , its look nice. The rims are hott.

Me And Bryan live in New Jersey, so were in the states .

Just get him on AIM , and he'll take care of you.

Friday, July 22, 2005 9:41 PM
Bah.. AIM? Why do people still use AOL or anything related to it...

I suppose i'll just wait, i don't want to install AIM, i use MSN just like every single person i've ever met (maybe it's an american thing, AIM.. i honestly don't know a single person who doesn't use MSN and only MSN)

And one thing I was wondering.. why didn't you buy the headers there, if you reccomend the store so much?
Saturday, July 23, 2005 1:27 PM
I have MSN too .

But the reason i didn't buy the weapon r header from Bryan is because i got an AWESOME deal on a pacesetter header for 150 BRAND NEW. And it wasnt armored coated , so i stripped the paint off and painted it blue .

The Weapon R one comes armor coared to you dont have to paint it or anything.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:05 PM
This 'awesome deal' wouldn't happen to be available to anyone else, would it?

Anyway, does anyone know anything about flywheels? My original question is in my first post. Thanks.
Friday, July 29, 2005 12:21 PM
hey Mat

think of flywheels as momentum,old bulldozers had huge heavy flywheels,hard to stall out ect,ect,,,,things you'll run in to is or enjoy is faster rev,s quicker take off,less weight on the crank means more power to the wheel,and shifting is different,get used to it and you'll love it,that being said the lighter on Vs the heavier on(9lbs Vs 11lbs)same story,but compared to the 33lbs stock,you'll feel a difference

Friday, July 29, 2005 3:09 PM
Matthew Housser wrote:-bomz racing CAI

Cold Air Intakes draw air from outside the engine compartment, at the expense (resistance) of longer piping. What you have is a Warm Air Intake (WAI), or less accurately, a Short Ram Intake (SRI).

I'm not saying that CAI are better, or even significantly colder, thems just the proper names.
Monday, August 01, 2005 7:35 PM
Ok, sounds good.

Quick question... assuming I install a weapon R 4-2-1 header, magaflow exhaust / hi-flow cat and 2.25" piping... how much of an hp boost can I expect? Does anyone have some reliable estimates?

Thanks,

Matt
Monday, August 01, 2005 11:22 PM
I'm not speaking from dyno experience, but I've heard people estimate around 15-20hp.
If you want an extra couple horses on your intake side, replace that large black plasitc box-shaped resevoir, so that you have the same diameter tubing from your air filter all the way to your throttle body.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 5:12 PM
15-20 hp? maybe at the crank, but not at the wheels. It just doesnt seem like there is that much resistance there to begin with. I could be wrong but im pretty sure
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search