DeLorean Swap, What do I need to make it happen? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DeLorean Swap, What do I need to make it happen?
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 11:34 AM
I've been contemplating swapping a Ecotec into a DeLorean in conjunction with a Porsche G50 6-spd LSD transaxle (similar to John Strickland's turbo Mazda Rotory with G50 powered DMC from FL). This would replace the limp PRV-6 130hp joke of a engine with something as light weight, if not better and more efficient/modern.

The car weighs around 2700lbs. The frame is slated as being able to handle a maximum of 300ft/lbs and about 350hp or so as per other adventuresome enthusiasts.

I'd like to make at least 300rwhp, or 360 at the crank. Enough to pull a low-12 or high-11 if the IRS can plant the tires.

I believe the Big Stuff 3 DFI would work with the Ecotec. I can custom make my own engine harness if need be. I will also be fabricating all the fuel lines, cooling system, exhaust and other "custom" bits.

Now, what Ecotec engine version/year/platform would be optimal to turbo with maybe a 20G or equivalent Garret GT?

What if any internal mods should be done to the motor? (crank, rods, pistons, thicker head gaskets, etc.)?

Where can I get a turbo manifold? (not tubular, I prefer cast since it's space-saving, better heat retention which lends to slightly better spool chracteristics and less prone to cracking)

Porting isn't a issue since I can do that myself or farm it out to Dave Localio at Headgames here in Jersey.

It's going to be street driven primarily, but I'd like to be able to run enough boost on 93/94oct to spit out at least 300+hp at the crank.

Re: DeLorean Swap, What do I need to make it happe
Sunday, August 14, 2005 9:25 PM
Checkout the Boost forum on jbody.org. That should help answer your questions.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search