Cobalt Mods Needed - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Cobalt Mods Needed
Thursday, November 10, 2005 4:52 PM
Not fighting, just preaching to the ignorant.

And a 10.03 is TERRIBLE for a stock ss cobalt.
You beat the driver not the car.

Saturday, November 12, 2005 7:09 AM
How does a srock cobalt ss only loose 5 horspower through the flywheel?
Saturday, November 12, 2005 7:10 AM
I'm a good speller.
Saturday, November 12, 2005 8:02 PM
Travis Kearney wrote:How does a sTock cobalt ss only loose 5 horspower through the flywheel?

They are under rated.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:07 AM
wow, sounds like theres some interesting things on the horizon for your car. i actually saw the same proof once that smaller tires improve acceleration, but they decrease fuel economy as well as reduce top speed...but im sure you are aware.

also, properly ground cams and upgraded valvetrain can greatly improve output power even without f/i. i think it would be possible to beat a STOCK cobalt SS without f/i but it would take money, time, and alot of work (which it looks like you are going to be spending anyway). from what i keep hearing, the 2.2L ecotec sounds like its easier to get power from than the 2.0L or the 2.4L VVT, but i am a big fan of the newer 2.4L

for your idea of an AWD or RWD vehicle, i have seen a V8 put in a cavalier(atleast i think it was) and changed to RWD, this was at the track last year and i would imagine would be there this year. i see that this is your local track too (even though we are 250km apart) maybe it would be worth coming out to ask the guy some questions come springtime.

why do you hate the Cobalt SS so much? my son drives one.
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:11 AM
sorry, one more thing, if i were looking to make my vehicle a performance vehicle, i would go the route of a nitrous/turbo mix. using the nitrous when the turbo lags.
i dont know if this is a popular way to go.

any thoughts on what you are going to use for f/i? turbo, supercharger, and/or nitrous?

also maybe pistons and cams would be best for last before going to forced induction
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:08 PM
James N wrote:
why do you hate the Cobalt SS so much? my son drives one.

He doesn't like the wing.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:13 AM
or the engine/transmission, sunroof, rear tail lights (even though they are the same for all coupes and i have the same ones), the short throw shifter used, even the interior.

Just my preference, not trying to piss off those that like it. It does have a lot of nice features stock for those who like them, i can say just as much good about it as i can bad, but i just dont like them.
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:11 PM
So you don't like 200 whp 4cyl engines with about the same torque. Or sunroofs. And you don't like the short throw shifter.

Personally I would love to have a 200+ hp 4cyl and short throw shifter.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:27 PM
no, i would rather have an engine with forced induction that has more than 205 hp, i dont like THAT short throw shifter, and i have a funny feeling that long term, THIS supercharged engine would be unreliable (like the problems that are popping up with the SRT-4's)

who the hell are you to tell me what i prefer and what i dont anyways, why the hell do you keep posting little demeaning comments here like you actually have a clue. read over this damn post and realize that i am not rebuilding a car, i am not modding a car (anymore), i am building my own car and i have obviously done it before or done something simmilar otherwise i wouldnt be spending thousands to do it. read my previous posts, i was looking for some parts not advice on how to put it together and what to put into it.

i think i have also had enough with the insults, how do i report this.
Thursday, November 17, 2005 8:20 AM
I find it hard to believe that gm is gonna lie about something that would help them make more money...ie 205 hp crank when it really has 256. That's a bad business decision.

Friday, November 18, 2005 12:09 PM
CK wrote:no, i would rather have an engine with forced induction that has more than 205 hp, i dont like THAT short throw shifter, and i have a funny feeling that long term, THIS supercharged engine would be unreliable (like the problems that are popping up with the SRT-4's)

who the hell are you to tell me what i prefer and what i dont anyways, why the hell do you keep posting little demeaning comments here like you actually have a clue. read over this damn post and realize that i am not rebuilding a car, i am not modding a car (anymore), i am building my own car and i have obviously done it before or done something simmilar otherwise i wouldnt be spending thousands to do it. read my previous posts, i was looking for some parts not advice on how to put it together and what to put into it.

i think i have also had enough with the insults, how do i report this.

Well, if you plan on boosting your 2.2L then you would run into the same reliability problems as the srt guys have. What proof do you have to support your feeling that this engine will be unreliable?

I'm not telling you what you should prefer, I just think it's funny what you complain about. OMG that short shifter feels..... short. lol

You're making a complete car? Wow, that's interesting. You claim to know how to build an entire car but have to come to a website to get information about bolt on parts.

If you have a problem click the contact us button.
-enjoy

Friday, November 18, 2005 6:56 PM
well if you read my previous posts, i was looking for parts that people had success with, not advice on what will work and what wont, which you seem to keep bringing up like you are some sort of god.
and i am also curious as to whether you have actually driven the cobalt SS, oh why bother asking, of course you will claim you have. it didnt seem to grab 2nd well but of course you knew that already im sure.
as far as reliability, again, what do you do to make engines more reliable when boosting....pistons, sleeves, valves, springs, rods, crankshaft, cooling system

i would have accepted your feedback but you have offered no constructive advice, how many posts did it take to get you to actually post something useful, let alone get some actual parts out of you. you only sat back and criticized others opinions, and then resorting to namecalling and insulting.

yeah i claim to know how to build a car, and i look at ALL resources, not just at what performance part dealers say will work for my car/engine. if you actually have done as many mods as you claim to have done, you would see people with the better cars have done something innovative, not always a little kit where everything was already done for you. i was looking for feedback on what is available and what has been done. you would notice that my plan changed to building a car after i realized how much i would be putting into it (if you had actually read).

thanks for telling me where to look for abuse.

For anyone else who has something to contribute, i would still appreciate feedback....maybe DC cat back vs magnaflow cat back
Friday, November 18, 2005 9:48 PM
CivicKiller wrote: i would have accepted your feedback but you have offered no constructive advice, how many posts did it take to get you to actually post something useful

Nice contradiction.

CivicKiller wrote:
you only sat back and criticized others opinions, and then resorting to namecalling and insulting.

thanks for telling me where to look for abuse.

The only "name" I called you was ignorant. And you've yet to prove me otherwise.

Friday, November 18, 2005 11:21 PM
omg, you two are like kids....

ok CK, lets start with you.....
why are you sticking up for people? who cares if this guy wants to call out someone elses numbers. let that other guy defend his own car....if you want to build a car from the ground up, i would say that you should be careful in your posts cause 19 yr old saab techs will always try to call you out. LMAO....but seriously, how old are you? gonna go tell? poor baby. now you cant go breaking out the physics book everytime you have a problem. maybe just stick to your gm car book for your answers. as for parts, i dunno, maybe if you ask politely someone can give you some popular performance part manufacturers and you can be on your way. gonna rat me out too?

ok now you travis....
i saw in another post your high numbers, and twice you have been called on it. haha mr magic throttle spacer. havent you had your fill yet? i really dont think you were beating the SS with those parts you listed, and i think neather do either of the two kids here fighting.

and your turn SunfiresRule(tom).....PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST
k to be honest, i think you need some help with your english and reading, maybe look up what a contradiction is and what ignorant means. i wanna count how many times you have missed something in reading these posts. holy crap man.....and no offense, but i think your advice sux so i really dont know why ur acting like a car god....19 yr old who has barely any experience working as a saab tech giving car advice. 4 sunfires, yeah right.
oh and one more thing, look back, your original fight was with travis, i think you managed to go after the wrong person. haha hope you get banned.

you all fighting is funnier than fat girls falling down.....

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

James,....if your son has an SS and you and this 'physist' are close enough what about arranging a meet to test out his mods.

oh and i saw a stock cobalt SS get beat on a 1/4 mile last season by a Cav with a k&n intake. the cav got like 15.8 or something, and the SS got 22......he missed second
hahaha....
i have heard of the same problem on both the SS and the non SS though so i dont think its the shifter.

i have raced a cobalt SS with an ecotec 2.2L with all bolt ons (K&N intake, Venom intake manifold outta my ex's car.....free!!! muhahahaha, magnaflow cat back, and weapon r header) and also some modified cam shafts, and valves although it was very close i won....and as for the times....um well *ahem, it was on one of those tracks that dont *ahem...technically have times.... but i didnt need smaller tires...

k and another thing, i had my car stock dynoed before and after i put on an intake (not a header) but it was k&n, and i got about 3 hp gained, 5 foot pounds. i think the test was a little bonk tho....BUUUUUUUT i have also seen reports of gains of 7 hp and 10-17 foot pounds for the weapon R INTAKE!!! and these gains were at the wheels but i still havent seen them confirmed by anyone.

oh and for awd, i saw i guy at the track last yr that took a plasma cutter to an awd minivan and mount on a pretty cavalier frame, the interior of the car sucked ass tho, but who needs pretty carpet and a back seat for a dragster. it was a little noticable that it wasnt stock too and it was a little disapointing at the track. lotsa work for nothing.

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

ok ok now that i have that off my chest, can you two kids please just agree to disagree and everyone get back to talking about cobalt mods cause i really wanna know whats available before i go out and spend my hard earned money (not really my money that i will be spending....hahahahaha).

i will go first......i say magnaflow exhaust, i think the DC sport exhaust claims like 3 hp gain, but atleast they are honest.
Saturday, November 19, 2005 12:10 AM
Blown Ecotec wrote:
and your turn SunfiresRule(tom).....PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST
k to be honest, i think you need some help with your english and reading, maybe look up what a contradiction is and what ignorant means. i wanna count how many times you have missed something in reading these posts. holy crap man.....and no offense, but i think your advice sux so i really dont know why ur acting like a car god....19 yr old who has barely any experience working as a saab tech giving car advice. 4 sunfires, yeah right.
oh and one more thing, look back, your original fight was with travis, i think you managed to go after the wrong person. haha hope you get banned.

contradiction

n 1: opposition between two conflicting forces or ideas 2: (logic) a statement that is necessarily false; "the statement `he is brave and he is not brave' is a contradiction
My example:
CivicKiller wrote:
i would have accepted your feedback but you have offered no constructive advice, how many posts did it take to get you to actually post something useful

Constructive=useful. DO THE MATH.

ignorance

n : the lack of knowledge or education

Like I care if I missed a minute detail that this asshat says.
And correct, I've only been working on saabs for a month now.
I have been here, on jbo then ecotecpower, for almost 3 years.

And wow, nice long post for joining up today. That's more than most can say about newbs. A for effort.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 12:14 AM
Blown Ecotec wrote:ok ok now that i have that off my chest, can you two kids please just agree to disagree and everyone get back to talking about cobalt mods cause i really wanna know whats available before i go out and spend my hard earned money (not really my money that i will be spending....hahahahaha).

Oh...... yes mommy.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 1:48 AM
ooooh did i hit a soft spot....

"And correct, I've only been working on saabs for a month now.
I have been here, on jbo then ecotecpower, for almost 3 years."

haha i guess spending more time behind your computer than under your hood makes you an expert now doesnt it.

btw, i have been following this forum, the jbo, and also sunfire and cav forums too for some time

good work with those definitions, lmao
so magic throttle spacer guy made a liar outta u, then mr physics, then me.....haha whos lacking the education.
you cant even read!!! lmao

CK: "correct me if i am wrong but i have heard that the weapon R intake gives 7hp and 17lb-ft of torque"

You: "You won't gain 17 ft lbs of torque from a header."

hahahahahahahahahahaha

CK: "what are people doing for modifications with intake, header, exhaust. "
CK: "These include (some of which i have already found but wouldnt mind hearing a review):"
CK: "Ok, ok, that little list of mine above has grown...i might as well be building the car up from the ground as drive train upgrades will probably be necessary."

You: "You're making a complete car? Wow, that's interesting. You claim to know how to build an entire car but have to come to a website to get information about bolt on parts."

thought i saw more than exhaust, intake and header on that list of his, lol...isnt that whats referred to as "bolt ons"
lol oh and theres more......

Travis: "Also I wanted to mention, if you add cold air intake, throttle spacer, ceramic headers, aftermarket 3" exhaust, and put on light 18 " wheels and a light carbon fiber hood, you can beat an ss without nos or forced air. I've done it several times."

You: "Haha.Yeah your car that probably puts out 145 hp at the most to the wheels Versus a car that puts out 200 hp to the wheels. I wonder who will win."

Travis: "I have an automatic, and on an 1/8 mile track I beat my friends stock ss usually 9.763 to 10.037, or in the vecinity of those times. That's before my zex kit"

You: "And a 10.03 is TERRIBLE for a stock ss cobalt.
You beat the driver not the car."

so what is a good time for a SS cobalt? got a source for ur number? maybe theres one in that "asshat" of yours, hahahaha
what the hell is an asshat anyway

Maybe you are angry cause your parents didnt hug you when you were a kid, or maybe its small penis syndrome, or maybe you were dropped on your head as a child cause you seem a little retarded
you wish i was your mommy. maybe then you wouldnt be an inbred homo wanna be car tuner that spends most of his time jacking off on the keyboard.
so go ahead and wipe the drule from your mouth, and come up with a reply, i wanna hear something good you virgin loser.....
Saturday, November 19, 2005 11:13 AM
Blown Ecotec wrote:ooooh did i hit a soft spot....

"And correct, I've only been working on saabs for a month now.
I have been here, on jbo then ecotecpower, for almost 3 years."

haha i guess spending more time behind your computer than under your hood makes you an expert now doesnt it.

Yup.

Blown Ecotec wrote:
btw, i have been following this forum, the jbo, and also sunfire and cav forums too for some time
Ok

Blown Ecotec wrote:
good work with those definitions, lmao
so magic throttle spacer guy made a liar outta u, then mr physics, then me.....haha whos lacking the education.
you cant even read!!! lmao

Did you learn something new? Because I used those words perfectly. I guess they didn't teach those words back in the 70's

Blown Ecotec wrote:
CK: "correct me if i am wrong but i have heard that the weapon R intake gives 7hp and 17lb-ft of torque"

You: "You won't gain 17 ft lbs of torque from a header."

Alright I made a mistake. You still won't gain 17 ft lbs from an intake.

Blown Ecotec wrote:
CK: "what are people doing for modifications with intake, header, exhaust. "
CK: "These include (some of which i have already found but wouldnt mind hearing a review):"
CK: "Ok, ok, that little list of mine above has grown...i might as well be building the car up from the ground as drive train upgrades will probably be necessary."

You: "You're making a complete car? Wow, that's interesting. You claim to know how to build an entire car but have to come to a website to get information about bolt on parts."

thought i saw more than exhaust, intake and header on that list of his, lol...isnt that whats referred to as "bolt ons"
Compared to what he is thinking about doing, rods, pistons, valves, crank, are bolt ons.

Blown Ecotec wrote:
Travis: "Also I wanted to mention, if you add cold air intake, throttle spacer, ceramic headers, aftermarket 3" exhaust, and put on light 18 " wheels and a light carbon fiber hood, you can beat an ss without nos or forced air. I've done it several times."

You: "Haha.Yeah your car that probably puts out 145 hp at the most to the wheels Versus a car that puts out 200 hp to the wheels. I wonder who will win."

Travis: "I have an automatic, and on an 1/8 mile track I beat my friends stock ss usually 9.763 to 10.037, or in the vecinity of those times. That's before my zex kit"

You: "And a 10.03 is TERRIBLE for a stock ss cobalt.
You beat the driver not the car."

so what is a good time for a SS cobalt? got a source for ur number?

Well they run mid 14's in the quarter. I figure travis' factory freak runs high 15's with an automatic. Car and driver is a good place to look.

The rest was you making fun of someone over the internet. Makes you feel good. I'll try it too.
I suspect you are a stay at home mommy that lives off of disability and child support.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 12:00 PM
Quote:

Alright I made a mistake. You still won't gain 17 ft lbs from an intake.

ok maybe you wont. look at this

Quote:

correct me if i am wrong but i have heard that the weapon R intake gives 7hp and 17lb-ft of torque...

Quote:

ok those were numbers that Weapon R has claimed to gain at the wheels

Quote:

Whether the gains posted are true or not, it was JUST A NUMBER to throw in.

Either way, i am hoping to get a Weapon R intake in the new year and since nobody else has posted anything about gains for the cobalt intake, i will post a dyno chart so we can see gains, whether its what they claim or not.
i thought those were a little high too but its what they are claiming to gain at the wheels. if i dont, i will get a refund, its that simple.

Quote:

gonna rat me out too?

already did.

Quote:

I suspect you are a stay at home mommy that lives off of disability and child support.

I'm thinking its some high school kid trying to get you pissed off and arguing.

this has gone too high school for me, see you around.
Monday, November 21, 2005 8:09 AM
wow,interesting read,forgot about the mods after all that,but very interesting none the less,well i think the aftermarket is a little slow but but it should get rolling for the simple bolt-ons and,let's hope ,hell i just one to finsh my car but thats going to cost alot of money for a f/i system,i don't trust nitrous and can't afford a new motor

if at first you don't succeed,you should probably give up

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:08 AM
Travis Kearney wrote:Wow you guys fight a lot.....I have an automatic, and on an 1/8 mile track I beat my friends stock ss usually 9.763 to 10.037, or in the vecinity of those times. That's before my zex kit. I don't have a manual, but I've heard that if I had a manual I could decrease my time by about .7 seconds. If that is true, then I would beat them by almost a full second. The chevy dealers in town had the ss crank power at 205. Not sure what that would be at the wheels.

It is 205 at the wheel and tell your friend to learn how to drive....If he can't get into the 8s in 1/8 mile, he needs get a econo grocery runner.

Mark

Mods so far:
OEM Boost and Ladder Tach #1
OEM Foggies with custom logic #1
AEM SRS Intake
B&M Shifter
Rice Haters Club Member #543
Member NHRA since 1974

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:54 PM
Blown Ecotec wrote:he missed second
hahaha....
i have heard of the same problem on both the SS and the non SS though so i dont think its the shifter.

i don't know if it's the shifter or the transmission but i've missed second a few times in my 2003 cavalier, it hasn't changed much in the years. as far as the SS goes if you don't like it don't buy it, simple...(no it's not directed at you blown ecotec... obviously lol) and apparently you don't know much about engines if you think you HAVE to have all those parts to make it reliable, i don't think GM would take a hit on cars breaking down because of the F/I on an ECOtec, probably one of the best 4 cylinders made in GM history... honestly, what kind of business move would that be? no only do you not know GM engines but you apparently also don't understand the idea of pleasing a customer and saving yourself a hassle... btw most of the parts that work well can be found in threads here....

have a good day, thanks for the intervention ecotec
Friday, July 28, 2006 8:44 AM
pimpinaintez17 wrote:
Blown Ecotec wrote:he missed second
hahaha....

i don't know if it's the shifter or the transmission but i've missed second a few times in my 2003 cavalier, it hasn't changed much in the years. as far as the SS goes if you don't like it don't buy it, simple...(no it's not directed at you blown ecotec... obviously lol) and apparently you don't know much about engines if you think you HAVE to have all those parts to make it reliable, i don't think GM would take a hit on cars breaking down because of the F/I on an ECOtec, probably one of the best 4 cylinders made in GM history... honestly, what kind of business move would that be? no only do you not know GM engines but you apparently also don't understand the idea of pleasing a customer and saving yourself a hassle... btw most of the parts that work well can be found in threads here....

have a good day, thanks for the intervention ecotec

um...yeah this post has been dead for a long ass time....sorry man, but he didnt buy the ss because he didnt want it (just like you said, matter of preference). he just wanted to beat it, made a statement about beating it and it was flame on....kinda funny though, theres a thread out there now with a n/a ecotec at 246hp, so looks like a couple people's opinions are a litte wrong about it not being possible.
as far as reliability goes, the ss/sc is a more durable engine, but there was still room on the 05's for lotsa improvement, by now we have all seen the minor issues that come from owning a gm vehicle, there is rarely a 'major' problem, just a bunch of stupid minor ones. by adding all those parts, he could have set himself up for a larger amount of boost, or might have done it 'just to be safe'. lots of those threads that you see on the parts for the eco werent around when this thread was around.

way to be one of the few people to actually use the search button, but this thread was dead and needs to stay that way, not much actual info in it.
Monday, August 14, 2006 2:24 PM
dude, whats your beef with the ss?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search