Cobalt Mods Needed - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Cobalt Mods Needed
Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:04 PM
ok well i tried to read all that nonsense but i got confused about who was argueing with who. i have had two different cars with ecotecs. i had an 04 cavalier with a 60mm throttle body, a AEM intake and an exaust. to be honest i don't know any where in my area where i could go to get it dynoed. I currently have a 06 cobalt ls and i plan to get an injen intake, a set of headers of of www.cobalt-addiction.com, and the DC sports exhaust. I do know however that i raced my friends stratus r/t with the 3.0 when i had my cavalier with a heavy set of 18" Chrome BSA rims and i just beat him and i know these motors are putting out somewhere around 200 hp no clue about torque. But i do know a very good site where you can order all the parts you would want for your motor b4 you use forced induction . go to www.mantapart.com and you can actually buy a built motor for this car that actually has new rods, cams, pistons, porting, and deending on how much you wanna spend things like light weight pullys and stuff. but they also have whatever you'd probably want to build the motor yourself. Well hopefully this will help you get started on your build and since i'm looking to do the same thing if you get any of these mods let me know how it works out so i know whether to try a different route or not. good luck.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:34 PM
Joe Chesbrough wrote:go to www.mantapart.com and you can actually buy a built motor for this car that actually has new rods, cams, pistons, porting, and deending on how much you wanna spend things like light weight pullys and stuff. but they also have whatever you'd probably want to build the motor yourself. Well hopefully this will help you get started on your build and since i'm looking to do the same thing if you get any of these mods let me know how it works out so i know whether to try a different route or not. good luck.

I will say that Mantaparts list of parts is nice but...

Their service is terrible. They have a terrible repuation not just with customer service but with even you getting your parts in a timely manner. They are incredibley unprofessional but somehow they stay in business.

Check their Better Business Bureau report (www.bbb.org), it's terrible. So I highly suggest not going that route if you don't want to deal with a huge hassle. There are a decent amount of other places where you can get any quality parts for all the ECOTEC engines.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, November 27, 2006 5:21 AM
well i didnt read the 3 pages of bs because theres a bs reason behind the question that was asked. now my question is to CK. do you hate those "losers' because they had the money to get the SS/SC and you didnt or did one of those "losers" steal your girl or what because it sounds like a trip to the shrink wil do a hell of alot more good than a trip to the parts house.

if your gonna tune/ mod a car do it b/c its what you love not because of what you hate.
and being in m second year of psych. it sounds like you have an inferiority complex coupled with some abandonment issuses

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Monday, November 27, 2006 5:29 AM
well i didnt read the 3 pages of bs because theres a bs reason behind the question that was asked. now my question is to CK. do you hate those "losers' because they had the money to get the SS/SC and you didnt or did one of those "losers" steal your girl or what because it sounds like a trip to the shrink wil do a hell of alot more good than a trip to the parts house.

if your gonna tune/ mod a car do it b/c its what you love not because of what you hate.
and being in m second year of psych. it sounds like you have an inferiority complex coupled with some abandonment issuses

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Friday, December 08, 2006 8:10 AM
I have a 2003 Cavalier ecotec 5 speed and with these few drivetrain mods the SS's will see my tails.

CAI
Throttle body
Cams
Port polish head job (TK motion)
Header
Full exhaust
clutch & flywheel
motor & tranny mounts

My car runs on lightweight 16's and weighs 2623 lbs (with all the liquids) 1/4 tank of gas.

BONE stock it runs 90+ mph in the 1/4 mile

I'm looking for 97+ mph traps at the end of the 1/4 mile.

All that in street trim and +/- 160-170 whp.

2003 Ecotec Z24
14.88 @ 93.92 mph

Sunday, December 10, 2006 2:04 PM
just an update on this posting, i have private messaged the guy and private messaged the guy and he hasnt replied. i have not even seen a post by him in ages. over this past summer, i ran my GTO at the street legal nights at mission raceway which is the only racetrack in miles and noticed a guy who i could be convinced was him, he had civickiller painted on the side. anyway if this is the same guy, his car doesnt even have an ecotech anymore.

i gotta believe that this was an early thread and that somewhere someone misinterpreted something. but i havent made a post myself in months because of some of the answers i have been getting from some members. the one post that i made that comes to mind is one regarding raising compression, where i was looking for information and there were people that didnt seem to have any information that just had to post angry posts.

i dont build racecars but i did fix cars, i dont know everything about cars and i dont claim to, but i do know how to put them back together. i just dont understand how asking questions can piss people off...if you dont have a suitable answer, then dont answer.
i think this thread needs to be locked because every third post is just a useless pissy rant directed at someone else, its old and it doesnt seem to be useful anymore.
Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:37 PM
Sunfires rule! (Tom) wrote:Not fighting, just preaching to the ignorant.

And a 10.03 is TERRIBLE for a stock ss cobalt.
You beat the driver not the car.

im secretive about my mods, but im still na and will whoop any off the line 2.0 ss any day in the 1/4 mi run, so stop the fighting, it is all possible and i know it can be done i dyno'd around the 195 mark for the 2.2 in my 05 cobalt sedan creeper, so keep talking @!#$ all of you who say it cant be done, and next im getting ready to throw in a stage 2 turbo and a 75-150 direct port injection of NO2 and reflashing the computer after that with software bundle from hptuners so i can get rid of the annoying 104M p/H cutout
Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:30 PM
i was just happening to be reading thru this post and i saw that someone said that the j bodies are faster than the cobalts... im not tryin to say you are lying but i guess it just depends on the driver because i have never lost to a 03-05 jbody n a few of them had cat-backs n intakes and im bone stock. the 04 that i raced at pittsburgh raceway last year had a full magnaflow exhaust, kandn intake, and lighter rims n i still beat it by .2 seconds
Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:24 PM
Check the final drive ratio difference. The SS has 4.10 gears while the LS and LT have 3.63. This makes a big difference in acceleration. Your car could have the same horses as an SS and you still wont beat it because of the gearing difference.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:19 AM
i have a 2003 cavalier ecotec. the 2.2. and ive got full 2.5 exhaust high flow cat and a glass pack. with a 4-1 header.cai.stage 2 clutch motor mounts tranny mounts, short throw shifter, and i jog away from cobalt 2.4's and i ran right next to a cobalt ss/sc, and it was modded. but it probly only had minor bolt on's but still. and in about a month im getting the vulcan intake with the ls1 t/b, and the patriot stage two head w/cams, and a tune. and those ss/sc's wont touch me.
Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:41 PM
if the cobalt s/c is modded anywhere even close to what u are, they'll walk away from you. no offense man. i don't know if you know this but what you just listed are all basic bolt on's as well. it's not like ur puttin down 300whp, u have i/h/e and mounts basically, which is great that's an awesome start but don't act like ur car's fast as hell man.

Friday, October 30, 2009 9:17 AM
im not saying my car is holy s%&* fast, but i was saying that with i/e/h and mounts, a 2.2 ecotec, can beat cobalt 2.4's and can keep up with a ss/sc. i know those are basic bolt ons. exepct for the clutch that was a long freaking job to do. pulling a tranny aint easy on a fwd car. ha. anyways, i know that a ss/sc can beat me with minimal mods, but i just wanted ppl to know that the 2.2 ecotec shouldnt be over looked, i would take a 2.2 eco in a cavalier ls sport over a cobalt anyday. (except ffor the new ss/tc cobalt, but thats expensive) i know my car isnt putting out that much power, i couldnt tell you what im putting out whp wise, but im hoping around 185 to 200, but i wont know till i get it dynoed. but i wasnt trying to fight with anyone.
Friday, October 30, 2009 1:25 PM
My Cobalt ls is putting down 155whp and 162 wtq. I have i/h/e. The motor for the cav should be similar. Before my tune I had 140whp and 142wtq. I was even with 2.4 and the s/c walked me. Havent raced an s/c but I walk the 2.4s now. The cav has less power stock but also weighs less. Havent raced a modded cav so I dont know if what your saying makes sense. I just know your power is not more than mine with just those mods. Maybe the clutch helps you put down more but still. You have the older ecotec motor.
Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:41 PM
the ecos in the 2003 cavalier the cobalts are exactly the same if there both the 2.2's but yeah mine weighs less, what kind of exhaust intake and header do you have?? the set up makes a big difference.
Thursday, March 04, 2010 2:12 PM
Hey, I see you are looking at modding a 2.2. That’s ok, it will but it will be quite expensive. But to each his own, just thought I would give you some personal info that I have learned over the years owning an ss supercharged. Just so you know, the internals for the 2.0 engine are built to handle 500 horsepower with the exception of the pistons. If you swap out the pistons, you can safely mod up to 500 horsepower (stock all the internals can support 315 horsepower), so if you wanted to have a strong safely built engine, you could buy an ss, special order it to your liking (no sunroof or whatever you don't like about the ss) and financially you would be much further ahead. There are a lot of positives to the ss drive train. The transmission is quite different from the lt. The lt uses a different transmission. They were designed and built to spec to handle more that 150 horsepower, however to save money, gm, took the design and used cheaper parts and it is rated to only handle 150 horsepower and equal torque. The F 35 transmisson (the one in the ss sc) is built to handle 315 horsepower and equal torque. Another plus to the SS is that second gear will reach all the way to 118 kilometers an hour or 73 miles an hour before shifting to third. The LT would need to shift once more, which loses time and acceleration no matter how fast you can shift. Looking at acceleration numbers posted by car review magazines, the Cobalt ss can accelerate to 60 miles an hour in about 6 seconds and it has a 5 speed. The LT can do it in just under 8 seconds with a standard transmission (7.9 seconds). The SS also has shorter pistons which allows it to rev itself quicker than an lt engine. They are also oil jet cooled pistons.
Here are the internal specs
•Forged steel crankshaft
•Semi-permanent-mold cylinder head casting
•Stainless steel intake valves with undercut stems
•Sodium-filled exhaust valves
•High-flow air intake
• High-flow exhaust manifold
•12.5-mm-wide chain cam drive
•6.5-quart oiling system with crankshaft-driven pump •Engine oil cooler
•Coil-on-plug ignition with 58X crankshaft position encoder
•Oil-jet-cooled pistons

I might add that those with lower numbers on the dyno may have not been running premium fuel which is recommended for the SS and does make a significant difference. It does for me. As well, the entire front suspension was designed by the corvette division. And if you want to go as fast as a cobalt ss, you are going to need w rated tires, don’t forget.
My question is, if you want to build a power car, why not start with a well built drive train?
Thursday, March 04, 2010 2:45 PM
My mods are,
GM Intake and Exhaust that they gave me.
The Header is OBX, I had to chop and weld that onto my exhaust.
The tune is from a shop up the street from my work and its a universal tune.
Thats it. If I had better parts I would have better stats.
Friday, March 05, 2010 4:04 PM
Go and check out cobaltss.net and come back to this post. U ask for help and you don't want to hear
what people have to say. We can't build your car only you can. Post up or shut up, Like my friends
would tell you. Any car for that matter of fact takes money to go fast or handle good..
Some questions to you kind sir.. Are you the type of guy that would bring a knife to a gun fight..?
Friday, March 05, 2010 10:24 PM
Gold z24.. Who are you talking to?
Monday, March 29, 2010 8:05 PM
I am talking to all the haters and players. I've owned a couple of cavs and now a ss/sc.
Much love for any guy who wants to put the power to ground and tear up the pavement..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search