best intakes - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best intakes
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:54 AM
I've heard differing opinions on this, so I thought I'd check here. Which intakes offer the most gains for the 2.2 ecotec?

1980-2004
The roads of Heaven await you, Brian, may you rest in peace.

Re: best intakes
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:45 AM
They are pretty much all the same, I'd say the only difference between them all are the price, whether it be Cold-Air or Warm-Air (Short Ram) Intakes.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:45 AM
you're right there are varying opinions, so you're going to get a multitude of different answers here.

it would depend on the application of course, an intake for a saturn ion/chevy cobalt would be completely different than a chevy cavalier/pontiac sunfire intake. (routes two different directions and one uses a maf and the other doesn't)

so here your first opinion, i've seen a lotta good things about the aem and injen intakes.

-DS
--------
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:45 PM
Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:you're right there are varying opinions, so you're going to get a multitude of different answers here.

it would depend on the application of course, an intake for a saturn ion/chevy cobalt would be completely different than a chevy cavalier/pontiac sunfire intake. (routes two different directions and one uses a maf and the other doesn't)

so here your first opinion, i've seen a lotta good things about the aem and injen intakes.

Sorry, forgot to say what I drive, it's an '03 Sunfire

1980-2004
The roads of Heaven await you, Brian, may you rest in peace.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:14 PM
essentially as long as it has nice smooth bends and a high flow filter you should be good. if you get a true cold air, one that mounts the filter outside the engine bay, be sure to get some type of bypass like the one AEM sells. If the filter becomes completely soaked (drive through a deep puddle or whatever) and the pressure drops in the intake the bypass will open and pull air from the engine compartment. it only opens when the pressure drops that far, and pulling in warm air and losing some hp is better than sucking up water and hydro-locking the engine.

-DS
--------
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:11 PM
ive had a short ram and a cold air and i dont really feel that much of a diffference. but if it were me i would more than likley do the cai.

12.7@110MPH with 10PSI.
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:37 PM
I have had my AEM cold air intake in my 02 cavalier for a year and a half now and I have had no problems. you should be avoiding deep puddles anyways, especially if you car is lowered.

I would say cold air, if you are thinking about getting the bypass valve you might as well just get the short ram/wai

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:29 PM
Yeah cold air intake, lowered car and constant flooding in west texas doesnt help out your car very much. Speaking of bypass valve where do i find it for the AEM? It's a great intake i've had for half a year now on my 02 eco cav and it helps out pretty good i just can't drive my car when it rains.

--------------------------------------------------------
2006 Yellow SS/SC Cobalt w/G85 package and Recaro Seats.
--------------------------------------------------------
*MOD LIST*
AEM Cold Air
Black Halo Projectors
GM Perfomance Cat-back Exhaust (Sport)
Many Many more to come!
Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:22 PM
have any of you had any check engine lights from your cold air intakes?
Saturday, November 05, 2005 12:40 PM
Does anyone know of a configuration that might work well for this setup? It is a rear engine conversion in my off road car. I would like to keep the filter somewhere close to either end of the valve cover. I am planning to fab up a custom intake, but if there is one readily available, I would like to buy rather than build.

SHMO

Sunday, November 06, 2005 4:16 PM
I've got a CAI from Induction Dynamics. It's got really smooth bends and flows just fine. The only real problem is the rubber cover above the TB rubs against the hood. I may try to cut the cupler that on the TB down a bit and hopefully I won't have any clearance issues.

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak

Monday, November 07, 2005 10:54 AM
HEY JOJO, Are you here in Odessa ? If so you might want to try HOUSE OF SEAT COVERS , they can order you a bypass valve or anything else........Also try "Drop 'em Customs" (or somehting like that). They are located on West County infront of the TOY SHOP......
Monday, November 14, 2005 1:20 PM
I would go with the AEM CAI, you can get one of ebay brand new shipped for $206...its worth every penny. installation is simple, they come in a variety of colors and where the filter is placed is where you are gonna get the coldest air...and cold air is always better than warm.
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:59 AM
well, i have the AEM CAI on my 03 cav eco. lemme tell ya, its looks really clean. i dunno about HP gains, im sure it does something, but for me i just think it sounds really cool. It just has a real low growling sound when you get on it. haha. i love it and its real easy to install. no clearance issues at all.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:49 PM
If you read magazine reviews and manufacturers press releases, you'll get different answers on who has the best intake for the money. AEM says they have. The AEM Cold Air Intake is proven to outperform every comparable cold air intake on the market Weapon R says their Short Ram setup is better than any other cold air intake. ProStreetOnline sells both along with a brand called Fujita for 05 2.2L Ecotec engines (Chevy Cobalt). I haven't been able to see any dyno results published in sport compact magazines in regards to which intake produces the most power. It would be nice is this sort of review was done. I'm not sure if there are any retailers that can produce dyno results or tell you where to find them. Which ever intake sells the most some believe must be the one to use but that isn't necessarily true either. Whatever intake you decide on, make sure it gets a source of cold air from somewhere. No point in using hot air from the engine compartment. The colder the air/fuel mixture the denser it is and the denser it is the more power you will make.
Monday, November 28, 2005 9:04 PM
If you want a good intake and not one that cost you a arm and a leg got to cosmo racing dot com. They have a nice short ram for 80.00 after shipping it comes out to about 94.00 and you can choose from a red polish blue or chrome. but i have one it made a diffrenc but you never really going to feel any added horse power on something that isn't a mjor chage but it gives the engine a nice look.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search