breakin in new Pistons (new to car performanace) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
breakin in new Pistons (new to car performanace)
Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:16 PM
im curently running a senthetic oil and i want to upgrade my pistons for future upgrades. i want to break in the new pistons for a better seal. wood i have to flush out the senthetic and run a nonsenthetic thinner oil to break them in? and then switch back to senthetic. or can i still run the sentec during the beak in?

Re: breakin in new Pistons (new to car performanace)
Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:38 PM
matthew shuck wrote:im curently running a senthetic oil and i want to upgrade my pistons for future upgrades. i want to break in the new pistons for a better seal. wood i have to flush out the senthetic and run a nonsenthetic thinner oil to break them in? and then switch back to senthetic. or can i still run the sentec during the beak in?

a good thing might be to run a synthetic blend like you said.

Re: breakin in new Pistons (new to car performanac
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:01 PM
for engine break in you can run what ever knid of oil you want to but remember that with a new motor you have to change the oil after about 500 miles and then again after about 1500 miles then every 3000 like normal.

12.7@110MPH with 10PSI.
Re: breakin in new Pistons (new to car performanac
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:38 PM
that is correct about the frequency, the after 500miles is especially important to get rid of any remaining machining debris.

but with a fresh engine or one that's been re-honed for new pistons you need a conventional oil so the rings can form a wear pattern on the cylinders for better sealing. full synthetic actually protects too well for it to happen quickly enough.

i would suggest after the re-hone you use conventional and then switch back to synth after the 500 mile break in.

btw, which synth are you using? i'm using mobil1 on my ion.

-DS
--------
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search