Input - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Input
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:14 PM
I've been doing a bit of research and learned a bit for myself and would like some input.

I have an '05 Ion 2.2L Ecotec and was thinking about making it a project car. GM makes the Ecotec in the 2.0L variation as comes with the Ion Redline and the Cobalt SS. The Eaton M62 Charger can produce around 12 psi no mods. I'm pretty sure that GM Performance had rebuilt the bottom end of the 2.0L to handle a good bit of boost if I'm not mistaken. What I want to do is put a Turbo kit on it, hoping to push around 14 psi with the stock 2.0L internals. I'm relatively new to the Saturn/Ecotec community and don't really know much about this specific of motor. Anyone with more information on what this engines potential is would help me so much.

All in all I would probably swap the 2.2L for the 2.0L Turbo to see what she will do, unless someone says otherwise about the 2.2L. Probably throw a different tranny under it but thats for another forum.

Thanks in advance =D

Re: Input
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:26 PM
The LSJ (2.0SC) comes standard as a supercharged engine in Ion Redline and Cobalt SS, but is stock turbo charged in Saab 9-3. The Difference between the L61(2.2 ecotec) and LSJ(2.0SC) is that the bottom internals were made specifically for the forced induction.

In the GM sport compact book (ecotec performance book) link to it online:
http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/downloads/gm_sport_compact_performance_build_book.pdf

The L61 internals are supposedly capable to handle 280-300 HP. After that there are performance racing parts or LSJ parts to substitute in for higher hp levels.

Also GM makes a supercharger specifically for the 2.2 L61. p/n 17800003

In that link it has every part that can be upgraded or added on on to a L61 2.2 ecotec.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:09 PM
hahn racecraft has been successfully running high boost 2.2L ecotecs for some time now. you might want to contact them for more info.

-DS
--------
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:53 PM
Well here's the dillio. The QC is my daily driver so I really can't put her in the shop for too long or I won't have anything to drive to and from work. I was basically going to purchase a Crate LSJ and tear it down to the internals. Replace them to hold more boost and revs i.e. Rods, Pistons, Bearings, Rings, and Gaskets. Get a decent turbo kit and swap turbos (thinking T04E/T3) to what my engine matches in Compressor maps. Head Port, Polish and Shave. Put her together and wait to drop it into the QC. I don't really want to keep the 2.2L in the car. I think the LSJ has more potential for this application. I'm hoping to hit the 280 to 300hp mark. I can dream right?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 6:20 AM
300 hp is an obtainable goal.

As for changing out internal parts. LSJ engine is capable to handle that much hp and most likely the psi. When GM built upp their L61, they basically used alot of internals off the LSJ; like rods, pistons, crank. I might be wrong, but the LSJ rods pistons, crank are rated to about 400-500hp. and easy 12-14 psi boost.

If you are going to rebuild a LSJ.. why not just get a L61 and build up a 2.2 turbo. Instead of 2.0 turbo. You plan on changing the internals any ways. Why not have another 0.2 liters with boost? The internals you'd replace on the LSJ would be the same parts you would change on L61, but L61 might be cheaper to buy. Also, LSJ should come with a supercharger, which would be a part you wouldn't need if you want a turbo.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 1:02 PM
I have a site with basically a blog written about what a GM Racing did to the engine. (Written by Tuboro and High Tech Performance Magazine) in an attempt to see how it would hold up. States in a big chart which parts failed about 300hp. Also states that they destroked the engine to 2.0L with a Crower crank to hold up at 500hp.

Rods, Pistons, Wrist Pins and Rings only held up to 283hp which is just under the mark that I wanted to attain.

You are correct thinking the L61 would be cheaper to attain. Around 2,000 from a wholesaler. LSJ is about 3,800. But I could probably sell the SC, Intercooler, and Intake Manifold and make some cash back.

I wanted to destroke it but do you think I can make more horsies with the 2.2L Stroke while pushing as much or more boost than originally proposed, with new internals, head studs and a stronger gasket?

Only reason I was considering the 2.0L is because it was already destroked and prepped for boost as a result of GM's design. I might just go ahead and try to make the 2.2L Turbo. Get back at me.
Friday, October 07, 2005 10:15 AM
In the GMsport compact book. They did not destroke the engine for the supercharger / nitrous setup, or the turbocharged / nitrous setup.

The stock crank is rated to 550hp; higher than that recommend Eagle 4340 forged crank. Then at 600 hp they destroked the 2.2 to 3.724.

You are correct on the pistons. 300 & lower use LSJ pistons and rods. 300 & higher need Diamond, Manley, or Wiseco (which is what I'm getting for my ecotec)

Rods higher than 300, Manley or Eagle(ones I choose).

Head gasket rated to 400-600hp listing.

Bates Engineering has better valve springs ESgv0001. And I quote "The springs will increase the production valve train limitinig speed to over 7500RPM. The stock camshafts are good up to 400hp with these valve springs.

Rod bearings are good up to 600hp. Supposedly the stock crank bearings were still being used at 600-1000hp.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search