Upper and Lower? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Upper and Lower?
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:20 PM
Upper and lower motor mounts..are they a must if you are a hard driver who does alot of dragging?

Re: Upper and Lower?
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:46 AM
i have both top and botom mount, and I like the results of them

Beware the Rouge Dragon.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:37 AM
Obviously you are planning to do engine modifications so I would say YES, they are a MUST. For example, if you dont have them, and you have an aftermarket header, you will most likely damage the header due to the movement of the engine. But with the mounts, you wont damage it because it keeps the engine stiffer, which in turn transfers the power to the ground better. Just my $0.02.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:26 PM
Are the upper and lower mounts the same in the Cavalier and the Saturn Ion. I've found lower dogbones and the transmission mounts. They both pretty much look the same. The upper mount is on the left side of the engine (looking rearward) right. Or is that a totally different mount. Any help...sorry to jack the thread. I would say yes to motor mounts as they are going to be my next upgrade.
Thursday, November 17, 2005 6:42 AM
The upper mount is located beside the coolant resevoir and the lower is right beside the front right wheel. Once you order the parts and see what the new ones look like, it will be very evident what you are replacing. Look forward to better pickup and a few vibrations.
Monday, November 21, 2005 8:35 AM
Yeah I have heard that there are vibrations after you install them, but I thought one of the things they were supposed to stop is engine movement and vibrations?
Monday, November 21, 2005 12:56 PM
The vibes are coming from the more solid linkage to the body and frame. The dogbones are to stop engine movement cause by abrubt changes in the drivetrain(a.k.a clutch drops from 5 grand etc etc. ) Any time you try to stop the engine from rotating with the clutch to something you want to move that isn't moving you will generate torque...the mounts are used to stop the torque, as a side effect the harder mounts transmit more engine vibration to the cabin. Without the mounts your engine moves backwards and forwards with reckless abandon as torque is freed and applied with clutch drops or aggressive shifting.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:06 PM
Upper and Lower Urethane Motor mounts do help. I have a set on my 03' Cavalier which I bought from RK Sport. In addition you might want to go with Urethane Transmission Mounts by Prothane. I bought those as well from Gravana Tuning. I believe the Transmission mounts make more of a difference in hooking up power to the ground than the motor mounts.
Monday, November 28, 2005 9:14 PM
They are not a must but it less the amount of play your engine has. stock lower monuts are a rubber compsit that allow the engine to flex more. put a new rk sport lower into and it less jerky and a little mor torque. you'll fell the diffrence
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search