supercharger on 2.2 ecotec can it handle it? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
supercharger on 2.2 ecotec can it handle it?
Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:17 AM
hello new here...i was in the market for a new car. I currently have a 99 mustang gt... im just bored with it. i mean its fast as heck (12 sec car, 282 wheel hp and 300 whl trq.)
i like the LS sport cavis but i want to put a blower on one. can the stock internals handle it? and can i find a kit cheap? thanks!

Re: supercharger on 2.2 ecotec can it handle it?
Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:52 AM
look for the GM Sport Compact Performance Build Book, it'll give you all the information of when stuff started breaking and how much boost they can handle.
Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:08 AM
The build book it posted here in a thread. No need to go buy it.

http://www.ecotecpower.com/forums/read.php?f=4&i=2669&t=2669
Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:58 PM
thanks for the fast responses!!! there is a brand new crate mototr on ebay to for 3500. its a cobalt motor too. comes with blower and all!!! good deal but i need to sell my car before i can buy stuff
Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:14 PM
I think you need to do something with the wiring to make that crate engine work since the 2.0L S/C'ed motor's throttle is electronic and the 2.2L Ecotec motor isn't. Not 100% sure though.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:34 PM
The 2.2L Ecotec IS the Electric Throttle Control system (ETC)...My Ion has it and I've been trying to find a way around it for when I put together my monster.
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:33 AM
ChillyRedQC . wrote:The 2.2L Ecotec IS the Electric Throttle Control system (ETC)...My Ion has it and I've been trying to find a way around it for when I put together my monster.

Thats good news! For us in the UK wanting this GM supercharger kit, anyway... We have electronic throttle too, but most 2.2s seem to be manual throttle in the states. The ecu reflash might work for us afterall!

Ta, Paul.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:08 PM
www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/downloads is where I'd start first. Also check out the NOPI scene if there are any sport compact drag racing events in your area. Ask the guys who race how much power they think your particular application can handle. GM says the stock engine is good for about 250 HP. GM says the stock 2.2L Ecotec pistons have been tested to power levels approaching 300 HP.
GM also says with forged rods/forged pistons you can go up to a 150 HP NOS setup. I don't believe that figure because of what NOS says on their website about 4 cylinder NOS applications, sizes of NOS/fuel jets and HP gains, etc.
The NOS website also says that if one were to use the NOSzle setup for 75 HP, that you would have to go to colder spark plugs and retard the timing. GM's book doesn't show you how to retard the timing using the adjustable cam gears they mention in the download. I don't take for granted everything GM says in their Sport Compact Build Book. SO to play it safe, I'd get rid of the stock powerded metal connecting rods and cast aluminum pistons and replace them with forged units if you plan on running NOS, a turbo or a supercharger. GM has a supercharger kit in the works for the Ecotec engine. Pace Performance is where I asked about the kit. They said it should be coming out sometime this Spring 06'. I've already installed Eagle Forged Connecting Rods and Wiseco Forged Pistons in my 03' Ecotec engine. I haven't decided if I will turbo the engine or use the GM supercharger kit. I'm planning on changing out the factory torque to yield cylinder head bolts and install ARP cylinder head studs. ARP just came out with this kit. Finally, I hope GM isn't blowing smoke and will support the 4 cylinder sport compact market. I also hope that HP Tuners and other software reprogrammers will come out with 4 cylinder applications for recalibrating the engine maps for Ecotec engines.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search