2.2 mods - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 mods
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 7:52 AM
hey all -- I just bought a 2005 Malibu Classic with the 2.2 Ecotec in it. wanting to get a bit more get up and go out of it without breaking my bank -- What can I do to get more air in besides cold air intake? Are there any chips available for this motor? Anyone have any suggestions to wake this motor up a bit in the lower RPM range (my tranny blows). What are suggestions for a mild to modest cam? anyone have specifics on inexpensive ignition mods?

I don't want to start a flame war -- just suggestions, I will research and filter them out on my own. I will defintely post my finidings for all to see.

Thanks!!

Cole

Re: 2.2 mods
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 2:05 PM
a 4-2-1 exhaust header would be relatively inexpensive and should help with lower end torque.
there are also those cheap little electric blower fans that claim to give about 30-45hp out, although i have never seen one installed myself.
adjustable cam gears?
exhaust cat back, i know magnaflow and borla make good exhaust.
there is also something you can do to your intake manifold that makes it almost as good as an aftermarket one....again unsure, cant say i have ever done it but maybe someone else has and can tell you how.
nitrous oxide is always the best bang for your buck when it comes to power out, and you can turn it on or off at the flip of a switch.

hope this helps
Thursday, November 17, 2005 7:42 AM
Quote:

there are also those cheap little electric blower fans that claim to give about 30-45hp out, although i have never seen one installed myself.

stay away from those. click on the 2 links below. they should answer all of your questions. good luck.

link

Link
Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:16 AM
so what is the problem with them then? are they more restrictive? not trying to sound like i am seeking truth, i just havent ever heard anything (good or bad) about them and what they do.
Thursday, November 17, 2005 2:42 PM
Immagine a heater fan hooked to your intake that is all they are they run one speed and at 3/4 throttle they become a restriction dur to the fan blades being in the airflow the boost claimed is possible only deadheading against a closed throttle butterfly. I recomend looking elsewhere. If it is boost you are after hahn racecraft has a good inexpensive turbo kit. but you want really inexpensive I would look at improving the breathing of the engine. intake, exhaust header, and a good catback with the muffler of your chosing.

I personally like my car quiet so I am going with a 2 1/4 catback with a resonator and dual turbo style mufflers at the back. and for my intake I have heavilly modified my airbox.

"Racing is life Everything else is just waiting"
Phil
Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:12 PM
increase in power requires in crease in volume, which a 'fan' will not provide unless the pressure of the incoming charge is increased.

id say spray it. a 50 shot should hold you off nicely.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search