Newbie ecotec swap question???? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newbie ecotec swap question????
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 3:14 PM
Just starting to learn about the Ecotec engine. First saw it in a car magizine with a supercharger and started to get interested in a winter project. Looking to use this engine in car swap. Something along the idea of maybe an older Porsche.

Does anybody know what information is available on swapping this engine? Are there website that is dedicated to putting this engine in other cars?

Thanks Wayne

Re: Newbie ecotec swap question????
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:27 AM
I have been having the same thoughts, more or less. Nobody much help here. What type Porsche? I have an idea for a rear engine Eco setup using the front drive tranny. Can't seem to get anybody to measure their overall width(engine and tranny). If you have any luck drop me a line......................Norm
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:32 AM
Just like posted above^^^, it will be tough to find an answer on here, my advice would be to ask on the .org. Now keep in mind it is winter so most people probably won't go out and measure their engine+tranny due to snow. But there are the people that live in the sunnier states. Other than that, it sounds like an interesting swap. What type of Porsche you dropping it into???

Friday, December 16, 2005 12:15 AM
hm... don't Porches have stronger engines?
Friday, December 16, 2005 5:42 PM
yes... yes they do. split crankcase design with 8 mains, nikasil/lokasil cylinder walls, forged or titanium bottom end, depending on the engine, and a transmission that will take the power, like a G50/50

others have gone the route of ruining a perfectly good porsche by throwing a chevy engine into it.
Friday, December 16, 2005 6:00 PM
Norm Roberts wrote:I have been having the same thoughts, more or less. Nobody much help here. What type Porsche? I have an idea for a rear engine Eco setup using the front drive tranny. Can't seem to get anybody to measure their overall width(engine and tranny). If you have any luck drop me a line......................Norm

How about you going to a Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Saab dealer with your ruler.
Friday, December 16, 2005 6:21 PM
tenspeed wrote:
Norm Roberts wrote:I have been having the same thoughts, more or less. Nobody much help here. What type Porsche? I have an idea for a rear engine Eco setup using the front drive tranny. Can't seem to get anybody to measure their overall width(engine and tranny). If you have any luck drop me a line......................Norm

How about you going to a Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Saab dealer with your ruler.

After thinking about this, I have some more questions. Do you have a Porsche that needs a drive train? Do you want a automatic or manual tranny. Do you have a welder, lathe and mill to make custom brackets and fittings? Where are you going to put the radiator? Is the engine going into the back seat? How are you going to get the power to the wheels? Are you using the GM control arms?

It seems to me that the size of the engine/tranny may be the easiest of your questions to answer.
Friday, December 16, 2005 7:31 PM
this is true. unless youre converting your ecotec to an air cooled engine, a rear setup is damn near impossible on an air cooled Porsche.

however, a 996/986/997/987 might work. but then again, why ruin a perfectly good Porsche with a chevy engine.
Monday, December 19, 2005 8:31 AM
I'm not really trying to be a smartas- about this, but the reason I asked for the measurements was because this thread was about Eco swapping. I was hoping someone had the assembly out and could simply measure it.......guess not. I stated I was having the same thoughts...."more or less". I'm not wanting to drop it in a Porsche, although I do think in the proper application it would be a killer setup. I'm contemplating a mid-engine with the setup mounted as in the stock application (sideways). I do want to use the 5 speed. It will be a full tube chassis set up for street/autocross/drag. I will mount my choice of body over and around the tube chassis. I'm not a newbie at this type of thing as my link will show. Yes....it will take some time,money, and equipment. Oh yea....and some ingenuity . Hope this clears up a few points.....................Norm
http://www.lasvegasvwclub.com/gallery/album80/LV_Bug_In_2005_115
Monday, December 19, 2005 7:54 PM
sorry about that, i confused you with the original poster. If i remember (), ill measure the engine on its stand tomorrow.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:51 AM
Block length: 18.25"
timing chain provision protrusion: just under 1.25"
deck to lower case half-to-oil pan mating face: 12.25"
4.5-5" oil pan height (sitting on the floor)
cyl head with valve cover height: just under 8.5"
on the rear of the block, protruding to the front (front of the car, left side of the block) is the oil filter housing, protrusion from centerline of block: 9"
rear of block, protruding to the rt side, trans mount flange: 8.25"
front of the block, rt side, water pump flange protrusion: 9.25"

overall valve cover length just over 19.25"

if you need more, let me know.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:50 AM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:Block length: 18.25"
timing chain provision protrusion: just under 1.25"
deck to lower case half-to-oil pan mating face: 12.25"
4.5-5" oil pan height (sitting on the floor)
cyl head with valve cover height: just under 8.5"
on the rear of the block, protruding to the front (front of the car, left side of the block) is the oil filter housing, protrusion from centerline of block: 9"
rear of block, protruding to the rt side, trans mount flange: 8.25"
front of the block, rt side, water pump flange protrusion: 9.25"

overall valve cover length just over 19.25"

if you need more, let me know.

WOW....ask and ye shall receive . I will definately hang onto the figures you gave me, but main thing now is overall width of motor. As it sits in the car....front of pump to back of block. Ideally I need the overall length(width), left to right, of the engine and trans(5 speed) assembly. I guess someone actually said it right......go out and measure one in a car .Thanks for all your help.........Norm
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:48 PM
meh, i can give you a width... but ill have to find one in the shop tomorrow with a 5 speed and ill see what i cant come up with.
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 2:22 PM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:meh, i can give you a width... but ill have to find one in the shop tomorrow with a 5 speed and ill see what i cant come up with.

Shop??.............Do you sell complete assemblies?OOPS...Sorry.....I went and read your profile, now I understand..."shop". You sound like a very accomplished fellow. Congrats on gathering all that knowledge and putting it to good use. I would like to think I fell into that category many years ago....."pre" fuel injection and computors. Just tryin to catch up and join the future, before it's too late . As I mentioned before....all help appreciated. Too bad we're so far apart, you would be real handy when dial in time comes around.Thanks..............Norm
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search