turbo/ super charge 2.2L ecotec engine - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo/ super charge 2.2L ecotec engine
Friday, December 30, 2005 12:53 PM
i have a 2.2L cobalt and when i was going through the GM Sport Compact Performance Build Book it lists the parts needed for the hp gain. it suggests

2.2L Supercharger Kit 17800003 GM Performance Parts
Hahn Racecraft Turbocharger Kit — Hahn Racecraft

so is it saying to add both a super charger and a turbo

so im a little confused

i thought you could only do one or the other

Re: turbo/ super charge 2.2L ecotec engine
Friday, December 30, 2005 8:33 PM
you can do both but its a hassle, and the gains arent worth it for the cost. usually those going with a dualcharged setup have more money than they know what to do with, or were pooly informed.

do one or the other.
Friday, December 30, 2005 8:38 PM
Theoretically, it is possible. I've seen engines (not any ecotecs yet) with both turbo and supercharger, but it's not pracical. The GM Supercharger is listed and has a part # and they keep saying it's going to come out soon, but so far still does not actually exist, many people have been waiting a long time for this kit. A supercharger kit is available from RSMracing.com, and the Hahn turbo kit seems to be the most popular choice for forced induction for our engines. The Hahn turbo kit has tons of research and development behind it, so far is the most reliable kit, and has produced VERY impressive power gains. Definitely the most horsepower per dollar. But the build book was listing those as 2 different options, not intended to be used together.
Friday, December 30, 2005 9:31 PM
I talked to parts where I work(a chevy dealership) and acording to them they can get the kit in for me. gave me a price and everything..........my only concern was if it comes with EVERYTHING needed. the ppl at my work who whould do the install for me were just unsure on them being able to re-flash the computer or whatever.

well they could be wrong and it may not be available yet.....I'm just letting you guy know what I was told........ also checked another GM dealer to see how good of a deal I was getting and they said the could get it to..........

GM dealer............$5600+tax install not included (CAN)
My GM Dealer(cost+10.....$4700 tax included install not included (CAN)

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Friday, December 30, 2005 10:44 PM
alright sounds good thanks for the help

so should i go for turbo or super charge wich will bring more horse power??

if this question is posted on another forum then let me know
Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:14 AM
Turbo will give you more power because you can always up the boost pressure (taking into consideration, the strength of your motor), granted with a S/C you can up the boost too but not as much as a Turbo can.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 12:12 PM
Yea a turbo would be better for power but it is more maintainence..........a super charger is more realiable but may not give as good of numbers.

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Saturday, December 31, 2005 4:06 PM
you can run just as much boost with a s/c as you can with a turbo.

turbos are more efficient, however and are much better for smaller engines. as already said, they do require maintenance and attention.

as far as the reflash, its easy. theyll use the techII to do it, and they just require the software part number and TIS to download the program into the techII
Saturday, December 31, 2005 4:24 PM
^^^ so explain to me how we would run 15psi+ on a supercharger, on our cars? Just a general question.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 5:59 PM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:you can run just as much boost with a s/c as you can with a turbo.

seems like something that an experienced mechanic with all your credentials should know....

Alex wrote:Turbo will give you more power because you can always up the boost pressure (taking into consideration, the strength of your motor), granted with a S/C you can up the boost too but not as much as a Turbo can.

Alex knows what hes talking about.

a turbo like the one recommended by GM is capable of a lot more boost than the rated 8 psi. the hahn turbo for the cobalt isnt out yet though.
Sunday, January 01, 2006 8:48 PM
Alex wrote:^^^ so explain to me how we would run 15psi+ on a supercharger, on our cars? Just a general question.

lol, you mean one built to handle it?

a proper sized blower and pulley.

Monday, January 02, 2006 1:22 AM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:
Alex wrote:^^^ so explain to me how we would run 15psi+ on a supercharger, on our cars? Just a general question.

the eaton m62 used on the cobalt ss/sc with a smaller pulley has been having issues with severe pressure spikes. it was a topic in another non related forum.
turbo will give more boost, its better for a higher power application but if you arent looking for insane amounts of power, a supercharger will probably be fine depending on the gains are looking for. the supercharger will give gains through the whole rpm band. definitely not worth spending the money to buy both.
i have contacted hahn about the cobalt turbocharger, it will be capable of providing 30 psi and should be out in the spring. you probably wont ever find a supercharger to provide that much boost.
Monday, January 02, 2006 3:14 PM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:

Exactly thats the thing, you'd have to have a properly sized blower and pulley to get that much psi but seeing as though the space in the engine bay is very restricted, I wouldnt see that happening in the near-distant future. Thats just my view on the topic at hand though. I must admit, if we could get a specially designed S/C to run that amount of psi then it would be pretty sweet. I on't even think the GTP S/C's can run that much psi can they??

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 8:32 AM
Don't forget the parisitic power lose involved with a supercharger. This is where the difference is. A turbo is free horsepower in the sence that unlike a supercharger it is driven from the exhaust gases and not a pully from the crank. This is the reason that the same engine with a turbo will always make a few horses more then the blown version.

But the engine with the turbo is useualy more of a maintence dependant then the supercharged one and this is due to the fact that the engine oil is used to both lube and cool the hot as hell turbo. But the superchager by design do not run near as hot as its not exhaust driven and they usualy have thier own oil sorce so the engines oil and therfor temps can be controlled much easier then the turboed engine. And as we all know heat kills engines.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:40 PM
the m62 spikes because it begins to get out of its efficiency range, we saturate the intercooler and it goes downhill from there. AFAICT

as far as the 'loss', you also have a 'loss' form backpressure, and a more restrictive cam profile to prevent reversion. who cares if the blower uses power anyway, it pulls its own weight. it makes up for it. as long as you keep it in its efficiency range you can get away with a good deal of boost.

in general, turbochargers are more efficient anyway, theyre better for use on smaller engines, i wont argue that. but a centrifugal compressor is just that, regardless of its power source.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 9:51 PM
my god are you stubborn.
a supercharger will not put out the same boost as a turbocharger. end of story. smaller pulleys sacrifices the efficiency of the supercharger.
Friday, January 13, 2006 8:29 PM
you can put out 45+ psi with a supercharger. if you dont understand a compressor, efficiency maps, relation between flow, pressure, volume, and restriction, dont bother replying, mmkay.

its got nothing to do with being stubborn, and everything to do with fact. unless youve got something substantial to add besides "<opinion>. end of story.", then GTFO.

im MORE than happy to hear, consider, and discuss pertinant information.
put up or shut up. or go find yourself in off-topic.
Friday, January 13, 2006 11:41 PM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:you can put out 45+ psi with a supercharger. if you dont understand a compressor, efficiency maps, relation between flow, pressure, volume, and restriction, dont bother replying, mmkay.

there are certainly compressors that can make 45+ psi, but who manufactures one for a vehicle engine capable of that much? i always thought eaton was one of the better superchargers at 12-15 psi, thats why i mentioned it above.

PM me if you dont want to post.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:04 PM
I'm not 100% sure but didn't this start out as a topic about the 2.2L ECOTEC Engine and not some other engine? Why are we talking about what things completely off topic. Plain and simple, there are no S/C's for the 2.2L ECOTEC that can give upwards of 12psi+. Well atleast not yet, there may be in the future, you never know. If I am mistaken then by all means correct me.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 8:31 PM
Alex wrote:I'm not 100% sure but didn't this start out as a topic about the 2.2L ECOTEC Engine and not some other engine? Why are we talking about what things completely off topic. Plain and simple, there are no S/C's for the 2.2L ECOTEC that can give upwards of 12psi+. Well atleast not yet, there may be in the future, you never know. If I am mistaken then by all means correct me.

I totally agree with you, but if theres a supercharger that can put out that kind of boost, I would really like to know who makes it. Maybe there is a chance that the manufacturer has something comparable for the ecotec.
I have also never seen a supercharger that has put out more than 12-15 psi for our cars.
Monday, January 16, 2006 9:53 AM
BewstAdd1ct wrote:
im MORE than happy to hear, consider, and discuss pertinant information.
put up or shut up. or go find yourself in off-topic.

oh i am so sorry, calling out your b.s isnt pertinant...this guy wants to go buy a supercharger and live with the disapointment, really. read the posts, we all know you dont have a clue what you are talking about, no supercharger is ever going to put out the same boost as a turbocharger. you got exposed, my bet is your credentials are phony.

you were the one that wanted to laugh at people for crap you know nothing about, maybe you should go back to school. ASE tech my ass, go brag somewhere else. maybe you shouldnt reply until you have actually figured out that everyone here who has actually turned a wrench is disagreeing with you for a reason.

i am very interested to know what supercharger puts out 45 psi too, i would be interested to know what kind of power it would take just to drive the damn compressor.

hows that for pertinant. redeem yourself and send us a link to a supercharger kit that can put out 45 psi. i swear if you can find me a blower that is efficient to that amount of boost for my car, i will never post again. if you have a problem with my replies to your little "lol omg i cant believe you just said that, thats so stupid" posts, then dont post them.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:21 PM
Another option to consider is manual or auto: supercharger is better with automatic transmission and manual is better with turbo. At least...I think. Maybe that's urban legend but that's what I've always heard.

Friday, January 20, 2006 3:27 PM
Ok I am going to settle this for you guys.

here is the link
http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml

Check out the F-3R 45psi.

However the only model that is copmpatible with the Eco puts out max boost of 24psi.

So you are both wrong, 45psi is acheivable, but it is no where near acheivable on an ecotec.

I really hope that helps
Friday, January 20, 2006 9:54 PM
look at the N/A hp on the 45psi model, 700-1000hp!! if you have a big enough engine, you could get 100psi, thats not the point. if you were to throw a turbo on that same 700-1000hp engine, you will get a heck of alot more boost than 45 psi. thats the point, and if you read above you will see that is what i said.
the one for 24 psi is for an engine that is 150hp, the ecotec is 140. if you reduce the engine compression to allow for the boost, that 140 number n/a is gonna drop, so no matter what kind of intake you throw on it or what kind of exhaust, it just wont work.
i will give you props for finding something so close though, 24 psi is still alot of boost from a supercharger, i dont think anyone will disagree. the smallest supercharger is for engines up to 325hp n/a, thats a mustang.
Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:42 PM
Generally the Turbo is better if you want alot of power. The supercharger is better is you want power immediately without waiting for boost to build. If you try to run a supercharger up to a really high boost level you risk damaging the crankshaft and also you will lose alot of power turning it. If the belt breaks you lose all your boost. Turbo's will last just as long as superchargers.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search