spring project - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spring project
Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:32 PM
starting spring project. will be building turbo kit myself. my question is concerning fuel delivery. will a fuel injection control unit be enough or will i need a fmu also. will the stock crank support 400 to 450 hp. (i know the rods and pistons will not)

Re: spring project
Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:48 PM
The 2.2 ECOTEC Crank can handle upwards of 500+ HP...so that should be the last of your worries.

400 HP is ALOT of power to expect out of your vehicle and entering that area is a bit far fetched for streetable use. Take one step at a time before you try and shoot for a big horsepower goal like that...

An FMU is good enough for setups in the 200-300 whp range as long as you have them tuned correctly. I would invest in an Cartech Adjustable FMU, not one of those ratio FMUs. If you really want to step it up though and control your fuel to a "T", invest in a Standalone Fuel Management System like Megasquirt.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, January 27, 2006 11:00 AM
thanks for the reply man so a fuel injection control unit is not needed. and how much is the stand alones run. i am going to play with the stock motor for a while, the car is almost payed for so play is the word here. but yea one step at a time is exactly what will be going on. i have played with v8 (fox bodies) for a while. but wanting to do something different. so the ecotec will be the different.
Friday, January 27, 2006 11:28 AM
jason neeley wrote:thanks for the reply man so a fuel injection control unit is not needed. and how much is the stand alones run. i am going to play with the stock motor for a while, the car is almost payed for so play is the word here. but yea one step at a time is exactly what will be going on. i have played with v8 (fox bodies) for a while. but wanting to do something different. so the ecotec will be the different.

Check out Megasquirts info site for everything you possibly want to know...

www.megasquirt.info

Sunday, January 29, 2006 3:03 PM
sorry it took so long to reply i drive out of town alot. anyways checked it out looks cool and affordable but very complicated . i think i will stick to fmu right now. also do you know how much hp the pistons will hold and if i can use some kind of spacer on the head to lower compression that way. just a thought.
Sunday, January 29, 2006 3:31 PM
oh yea just wonderig can i list my personnel car for sale on this forum.
Sunday, January 29, 2006 3:45 PM
oh yea one more thing how much power will a stock auto trans hold and is there upgrades availavle, 03 cav.
Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:09 PM
jason neeley wrote:sorry it took so long to reply i drive out of town alot. anyways checked it out looks cool and affordable but very complicated . i think i will stick to fmu right now. also do you know how much hp the pistons will hold and if i can use some kind of spacer on the head to lower compression that way. just a thought.

Ok, an FMU is fine.

No, if you want to lower your compression gotta do it the right way but you'll be fine at 10:1 for a bit though.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:10 PM
jason neeley wrote:oh yea just wonderig can i list my personnel car for sale on this forum.

Go to www.jbody.org, they have classifieds there.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:11 PM
jason neeley wrote:oh yea one more thing how much power will a stock auto trans hold and is there upgrades availavle, 03 cav.

Don't believe the hype, it CAN handle 250+ WHP...I know someone who pushed 320+ WHP on it...no problems.

Monday, January 30, 2006 6:16 AM
thanks for the reply man. im sure i will think of some more questions later.

Monday, January 30, 2006 10:50 AM
with an fmu do you also need a fuel pressure reg.
Monday, January 30, 2006 11:06 AM
jason neeley wrote:with an fmu do you also need a fuel pressure reg.

No.

An fuel pressure regulator is mainly there to adjust your base fuel pressure. So if you're running big injectors, you might want to lower the fuel pressure so you are't idling rougher. If you have injectors that are big enough but not overkill, it might not be necessary.

The FMU is there for when you are in boost.

Monday, January 30, 2006 11:41 AM
with bigger injector like the ones that come in the hahn kit, 32bl, is there anything that needs to be recalibrated, like on a fox body, the mass air flow sensor.
Monday, January 30, 2006 11:55 AM
jason neeley wrote:with bigger injector like the ones that come in the hahn kit, 32bl, is there anything that needs to be recalibrated, like on a fox body, the mass air flow sensor.

Nope.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search