goal 0-60 6 sec - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
goal 0-60 6 sec
Monday, March 06, 2006 6:23 PM
hey i've got an 02 auto sunfire with an ecotec engine. i've got an aem cold air intake installed (nice in mn where its below freezing 9/12 months) and a b&m shift plus. i've got a dc sport header, magnaflow 2.25 cat back dual exit system, and magnaflow cat ready to be installed. im planning on getting lower and upper engine mounts next.

I was wondering what other mods i could make to get it running a 6 sec 0-60. whatever else is done most likely will be proffesionally installed. i just dont have the time or tools on hand. if possible i would like to keep its daily driveability fully in tact

Re: goal 0-60 6 sec
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 2:28 PM
don't go for 0-60...go for the 1320 time. Means a lot more to more people. No one races, legal or not, to 60MPH only.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 3:28 PM
0 to 60 means nothing,60 is a speed not a distance.

darkblade j
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:03 PM
I know what 0-60 is and it does have SOME meaning...but no practical application.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:35 AM
Yeah..the 0-60 figure isnt the goal for most people however it DOES seem that you are on the right track with bolt ons. THe DC Sports header and full exhaust system is a nice way to get some flow..esp. in conjunction with a cold air. In reality though..without getting into the motor...your best route is the supercharger...simple as that. On stock internals, a turbo kit is going to be overkill for the most part and the supercharger has been tried and true with alot of the 2.2s out there. A 0-60 time of 6 sec can typically net a mid to high 14 sec quarter mile at sea level with an avg driver....the supercharger would be your easiest route for this goal. That with your header and exhuast system will rock.

CHRIS
Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:22 PM
Chris Olson wrote: In reality though..without getting into the motor...your best route is the supercharger...simple as that. On stock internals, a turbo kit is going to be overkill for the most part and the supercharger has been tried and true with alot of the 2.2s out there.

Please show me these "alot" of 2.2s. The GM supercharger was just recently released and very few people have it. The turbo being overkill comment has got to be one of the dumbest ones I have heard in a while. There are some of us running 11s and 12s on STOCK internalled 2.2L Ecotecs. So where's this overkill theory at?

Friday, March 10, 2006 4:45 PM
Sorry, I should have rephrased that. I was actually referring to the 2.4s out there and quite a few of them running the lil' blower with few issues. I know they arent comperable however I was referring to the simplicity of install and tried and true program of the GM 4 cyl supercharger.

As far as the overkill thing, thats my opinion. I think a small single would be one of THE BEST things a person could do....if they had an LSJ....as for the 2.2, we all know what those rods look like...not enough meat..simple as that. I am sure you are having great luck on the stock internals but I am weary of them. Connecting rods take such a beating that I would put my money into those first so I wouldnt have an issue down the road...thats just me. Start with the best foundation possible.

CHRIS
Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:31 AM
Chris Olson wrote:As far as the overkill thing, thats my opinion. I think a small single would be one of THE BEST things a person could do....if they had an LSJ....as for the 2.2, we all know what those rods look like...not enough meat..simple as that. I am sure you are having great luck on the stock internals but I am weary of them. Connecting rods take such a beating that I would put my money into those first so I wouldnt have an issue down the road...thats just me. Start with the best foundation possible.

CHRIS

I'm sorry but your wrong. Period. The 2.2L connecting rod certainly has enough "meat" to it to withstand what we are throwing at it. There is a reason that there has only been one boosted ecotec blown.

Now wanting to upgrade them is reasonable but please watch what you say. Just because you don't TRUST them doesn't mean they won't hold up. There's a big difference.

Monday, March 13, 2006 9:18 AM
Whatever dude...I am sure you know everything....god forbid that someone would actually think ahead and upgrade the KNOWN WEAK POINT in an engine. Nothing better than snapping a rod while driving...it makes a REAL mess. Some people want their motor to run a long time..not just enough to eek out some 1320 runs...

And as far as only one..I know a guy with a N/A Ecotec Grand Am who broke a rod...and that was on a bone stock car...no boost.

CHRIS
Monday, March 13, 2006 11:44 AM
Chris Olson wrote: Some people want their motor to run a long time..not just enough to eek out some 1320 runs...

Are you implying that my 49K total miles with 25K boosted and 100 boosted 1320 passes is nothing? That's 25 miles going all out AT THE TRACK ALONE. So what's this about wanting it to run a long time now?

Monday, March 13, 2006 12:59 PM
Great...you have had good luck...there's always a few.

CHRIS

Monday, March 13, 2006 1:32 PM
a few? a few? dude have you ever been to J-Body.org? If not i suggest you go. You really need to learn that GM doesn't know everything because you seem to be spouting GM off when you claim the rods are the weak point. In fact it's the valve springs. They get weak long before the rods are hurting. Especially on daily driven cars.

Monday, March 13, 2006 4:11 PM
Sorry...when have I said GM in this thread?

CHRIS
Monday, March 13, 2006 4:37 PM
Excuse me....let me correct myself...when have I said GM in reference to the Ecotec? I had only talked about the GM blower for the 2.4.....unless you are talking about the horsepower rating from GM in the Build Book..what is it 275 or something I think....?

My Ecotec project is going to have 2.0 Rods, springs and Si valves..other than that it will be fairly stock...its getting swapped into my 2003 Grand Am GT along with the 2003 4cyl computer and manual tranny. I am planning ahead of time regardless of the luck you have had. Thats all.

CHRIS
Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:16 AM
Jeez, guys. The girl just asked a simple question. Simmer down now!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search