04 cav 2.2 ohc upgrades - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 cav 2.2 ohc upgrades
Monday, November 27, 2006 3:52 PM
i have an 04 cavalier 2.2 ohc manual 5 speed, stock engine, exhaust, all that jazz. I am planning on taking off the catalytic converter (sorry o-zone, but i hear it robs power) could anyone suggest some inexpensive performance upgrades? I've been looking at some rksports intake kits and thinking about adding cold air induction. any ideas would be extremely helpful. thanx.

Re: 04 cav 2.2 ohc upgrades
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:36 AM
you still can use a cat. i like my air carbon free, a header high flow cat. and exhaust will give you a boost of 7 hp. and intake should give like 5-9hp. now do you have a 2.2 ecotec or is it the 2200 motor? just wondering some get confused cause both are 2.2liter
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 9:25 AM
its the ecotec. the cat is gone tho....we dont have emission tests here and i dont really wanna spring for a high flow. but on the intake and exhaust do you know any good sites where i can compare brands? or what in your opinion is best? this is my first project ever and anxious to get started but theres still ALOT of stuff i need to learn lol. i just got a haynes repair manuel and it blew me away all the electronics that are involved in these newer cars.
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 2:56 PM
Taking off the cat won't help you really as far as performance goes and it will just sound aweful. If you don't have the money to buy a highflow catalytic converter to keep the diameter of your exhaust the same, then just wait or don't do it at all.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:41 PM
i suggest a stainless header and exhaust it is more money but last forever. do not know any companies off hand, but just search. and if you plan on a power adder later than buy it a little larger, you will lose a little bottom end for now but saves you from buying twice, and magna flow high flow cats are like 50.00 for a universal and i would use one of the race mufflers, hope it's a start. and for power the ignition is a good start plugs spark springs and a booster set up will never need past this set up. good luck
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:06 PM
NJHK wrote:Taking off the cat won't help you really as far as performance goes and it will just sound aweful. If you don't have the money to buy a highflow catalytic converter to keep the diameter of your exhaust the same, then just wait or don't do it at all.
when i removed my cat it sounded the same but save yourself and get a cat the fumes arent worth it

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:38 PM
Cheesecake wrote:
NJHK wrote:Taking off the cat won't help you really as far as performance goes and it will just sound aweful. If you don't have the money to buy a highflow catalytic converter to keep the diameter of your exhaust the same, then just wait or don't do it at all.
when i removed my cat it sounded the same but save yourself and get a cat the fumes arent worth it

Do you have an otherwise stock exhaust system?

Thursday, November 30, 2006 2:43 PM
aside from obvious advantages of a high flow cat, or any cat for that matter, wouldn't the flow of the exhaust have less restriction without one? And just 2 1/4 exhaust header to muffler?
Thursday, November 30, 2006 2:51 PM
Michael Richards wrote:aside from obvious advantages of a high flow cat, or any cat for that matter, wouldn't the flow of the exhaust have less restriction without one? And just 2 1/4 exhaust header to muffler?

Someone correct me if im wrong, but dont you need a certain amount of backpressure in your exhaust?
Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:54 PM
Darnell Isaac wrote:
Michael Richards wrote:aside from obvious advantages of a high flow cat, or any cat for that matter, wouldn't the flow of the exhaust have less restriction without one? And just 2 1/4 exhaust header to muffler?

Someone correct me if im wrong, but dont you need a certain amount of backpressure in your exhaust?

It's not about backpressure, it's about exhaust velocity.

Friday, December 01, 2006 8:51 AM
yes you need a certain amount of pressure or velocity, that helps with timing, you take off the exhaust it will change your ignition timing, due to the engine is not forcing exhaust out it is just flowing. i run 3" with the compound setup and works great, had 2 1/2 before but not mandrel bent but went to 3" mandrel and big boost in power. but a high flow cat will work great there is like 1hp differences with out one. so what is the point kill our planet or lose 1hp, you tell me. i still run a cat. i want to breath air not fumes. anyway just run 2 1/4" if not going forced induction or 2 1/2" with unless you plan on 400hp or more. and the sound is fine if you run the right parts not a back yard exhaust with a glass pack or cherry bomb, k. good luck

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search