Headers or P&P? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Headers or P&P?
Friday, May 14, 2004 11:39 PM
Hey guys, lookin at doin some Perf. mods to my car ('02 Alero w/ Ecotec A/T), and not completely sure about what I wanna do, whether it can be done, and what to expect from the mods. Basically what I have been considering is either a set of headers, or port and polishing my head. The only thing holding me back is that I am not sure if any of the J-Body headers for the ecotec will bolt up to an alero or grand am - will they? Also, what sorta gains can I expect to get from headers (5-10 whp Im guessing)

The second mod Im considering is P&P my head, however I was told that on a lot of the newer compact/HO engines coming out recently, that the head(s) are typically bored out to maximum efficiency already. Is this true, and if not, what sorta gains can I expect from the average P&P? Thanks a lot guys, any info will help

Re: Headers or P&P?
Saturday, May 15, 2004 8:40 AM
there's always room for improvement within the head of any motor, new or old.

As for the header, typically, the j-body header will bolt up to any car with an ecotec, but the problem lies with the length of the tubes. Each car has clearance differences to the pre-cat. You would have to have the exhaust shop custom fabricate a connecting pipe or bent pipe to join the header to the pre-cat.
Saturday, May 15, 2004 10:55 PM
do you have headers or P&P done, and if so, what sorta power/numbers/improvement did you see ?
Tuesday, May 18, 2004 3:59 AM
P&P can make much more power than headers alone. I say can, because it depends how carefully and thoroughly it is done. If I were you, with the auto, I'd go with turbo. Your car is too heavy to be fast with just p&p and headers.
Tuesday, May 18, 2004 10:39 AM
Unfourtunately the cost of a Turbo is what is holding me back, dont get me wrong, I'd love to throw a turbo kit on my car, but no one makes them yet for the N-Body ecotecs, and I dunno if I really wanna start fabricating stuff up to modify a cav/sf turbo kit onto my car... Anyone care to give their 2cents?
Thursday, May 20, 2004 3:33 PM
I bet you could work something out with Cavalier Connections. Mike is the owner and he's a real good guy. Everyone that I've spoken with that's done business with him is very happy. His Ecotec kit sells for somewhere around $2500. I'd have to say it's a great price for what you get. And if you think about how much you'd spend on bolt on's, it's not that absurd of an amount. I would def suggest saving up if you can. If that's not an option. You'd probably be better off porting the head. An experienced machine shop should be able to get some good flow number improvements on the head. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd probably wanna leave the intake side a little rough for better fuel atonomization (spelling?). The exhaust side you could prob polish right up. For the money, you'll get more performance outta your head. I'd say 15whp is possible, but not likely. Prob more around 10. And trust me, on a smaller engine like the ecotecs, 10 is a nice kick in the seat of your pants. Good luck with whatever you do man.

Erik

Thursday, May 20, 2004 3:38 PM
And now that I think about it, there's a guy selling cams for the ecotec on here too. If you're gonna pull the head off to port it, why not throw some better cams in also. They'll compliment that better flowing head and really kick the power up. Just a thought.

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 7:24 AM
Thanks for all the really good information Erik, I will definitely be looking into the P&P now, but also really interested in this Cav. Connections kit you mentioned. By chance, do you have a link to their site, or any sort of contact information to get in touch with them?
Tuesday, May 25, 2004 8:36 AM
I just got JBP Ecotec Performance Head which includes a P&P, cams and some other goodies. Its a nice increase in performance but I don't wanna say to much until I bring it to the track. So far, I'm pretty satisfied.
I got the Stage 1 cams but should have gone for the Stage 2 for even more gains, if I were you, I'd definately get agressive cams since you have the AT.
When doing these mods I'd suggest also getting an Autotap to clear DTC codes while your computer adjusts, I haven't had a code in quite a while now. You don't wanna go to the dealer to get them cleared.
Trust me brotha, I have an n-body too (Grand AM/Alero chassis), the extra 300lbs versus a j-body kinda sucks but the 5 speed does help. <br>

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Mods: Weapon R Hyper Intake - RSM 62MM TB - Cat-back w/ Dynomax Super Turbo - Eibach Pro-Kit - B&M Shifter - Advanti's w/ Michelin XGT 225/45/17 - F/R STB - KYB GR2's - Next Level Sway Bar
Tuesday, May 25, 2004 10:41 AM
Cavalier Connections

There ya go man...There's a link to Mike's e-mail (Cav-Con sales) at the bottom of the page. I guarantee you he'll respond within a couple of days. Good luck with whatever you do.

And if you go the head route, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into JBP. I've some goo things and no bad things about them so far. But I have no personal experience with them.

Erik

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 10:44 AM
Oops, messed up the link, don't touch that one.

Cavalier Connection

sorry

Erik

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search