i want the most out of my motor - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
i want the most out of my motor
Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:49 PM
ok i just started to do stuff to the cavy to make it faster

so far i have a b&m shift plus on the car and i have a header in the mail.

im going to order a light crank pully also my ? is what other stuff can i do as far as bolt ones go and how hard is hp tuners to use

Re: i want the most out of my motor
Saturday, December 02, 2006 11:50 PM
Well first, my advice is don't modify just to modify. I know you want to stay with bolt ons but say bolt ons don't get you to where you are truely happy.

What year/model is your car?

If you want to learn more about HP Tuners, check out www.hptuners.com

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, December 03, 2006 7:33 AM
im not just adding mods im addin the stuff i know will help the motor then im asking you all what other stuff i can do to make it faster

Sunday, December 03, 2006 9:24 AM
i want to beabel to out run some mustangs like these stock ones at school that the kids thank thay have the car that is the @!#$ and the girls think thay do to i want want to be abel to out run them and show them there mustang ant nothing great

Sunday, December 03, 2006 12:17 PM
well you can do the motor mounts that will help with some power distribution, but we can not tell you much, you have not told us the year make and model yet, i hope it is not a 90 cav. like your screen name, cause than you are in the wrong place, we are here to help you if it is a ecotec, otherwise might not be so helpful. also i would move on to forced induction, or if it is a ecotec a nice 80hp shot of NOS will take care of a Mustang. if you have stick i would hold off on the NOS cause not as effective as a auto car. but keep posting we will try to help you, good luck, and mustangs are not as fast as they look!!!!!!
Sunday, December 03, 2006 2:46 PM
90cavlierturbo wrote:im not just adding mods im addin the stuff i know will help the motor then im asking you all what other stuff i can do to make it faster

How do you know it's helping you? Have you done dyno results? Track Time improvements?

Point I'm making is figure out what you want...not what you want to BEAT but what you want out of your car. Telling me you want to beat mustangs means little to nothing. Figure out how much power you want. Figure out how much money you want to spend. Go in that direction.

If you want to succeed with performance you need to stop focusing on other vehicles and focus on yours. Focus on what you want from it cause comparing your car to another will do nothing. Modifying should be for your enjoyment not to be faster than the next guy and I think alot of young people are missing this concept. Spending money just to beat a car won't mean anything if you don't enjoy the vehicle.

As far as bolt ons, you're not going to go far. This is why I said figure out what you want to spend and how much power you want. Understand you have a 4 cylinder engine, you're not drawing much air, breathing modifications only do so much alone.

And yes, as of right now, you've just modified just to modify otherwise you'd have a specific goal or plan.

Not trying to be mean but just giving you the honest truth.

Sunday, December 03, 2006 7:35 PM
ok my car is a 2002 cavalier ls sport with a 2.2 ecotec 4 speed auto

so far i have done a custom bent cold air intake we bent at a buddys shop
i have that B&M @!#$ plus and next week ill have my header on

i guss my gole is around 250 hp for now by saying that i know ill habe to use eather some n20 or a turbo i been reading up on both n20 and turbo but theres still a few thangs im not sure of i would much more like to put this turbo i have on the car but if it comes down to it i would spay with a 75 wet shot but i would look in to runing a rpm switch to kick on the n20 at 3000rpm and turn it off at 6000 rpm

and i talked to a guy by the name of Adam Coleman i fount him off of a nother site he did a write up i read on how to turbo a ecotec he has help me out a lot just a few more thangs im looking to know befor i start on a turbo

Sunday, December 03, 2006 7:47 PM
ok i just looked up lol and see that NHJK is Adam Coleman lol by the way im Jeff Cauley

Sunday, December 03, 2006 7:49 PM
90cavlierturbo wrote:ok i just looked up lol and see that NHJK is Adam Coleman lol by the way im Jeff Cauley

Oh ok. I e-mailed you back.

If there are other things you're unsure of, read the FAQ on ecotecforum.com

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:39 PM
Quote:

i want to beabel to out run some mustangs like these stock ones at school that the kids thank thay have the car that is the @!#$ and the girls think thay do to i want want to be abel to out run them and show them there mustang ant nothing great

Ok, for starters, it is "be able". Sorry, that was bugging me.

If you are looking to make your car faster to show all the girls, your dumb! No matter how fast, or how much tq you have, at the end of the day, IT IS STILL A CAVALIER! I mean lets face it, we are not in the days of old! Where the fastest car gets the girl. If you want a girl to like you, then show her how big your D&$K IS! You remind me of the guy on F&F3. See what happened to him after trying to race a Viper in a 1970 Galoppy? It wasn't until he learn to respect the car, and the art of racing, before he won the girl. OMG, I feel like a guidance counselor!

Anyways, aside from all my yapping, 250hp is an unacheivable goal for an N/A EcoTec. At least an unprobable one. I am sitting on 210hp dyno'd N/A Ecotec. So if you want my parts list, then I will glady email you. Oh, and I still dont beat a Mustang. I go to the MOM (Mustangs On Mustangs) meets all the time.

I would even be willing to give you my old head for you to get ported if you would like. Later

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 8:57 PM
WOW! That was interesting reading. I have a 2004 2.2 ecotech cavalier. I would like to make about 230 to 250 HP but I am worried about the cost and possible damage to engine if not done correctly. I realize for that kind of HP I will need boost but it seems like a lot of internal mods. Are they really necessary? I have been told the stock internals can handle about 5 or 6 psi ok but this is my only car and I do not want to break it. Any recommendations?

I am also a little scared of the price tag. Last time I looked the Hahn turbo kits were around $5500. I was hoping to only spend about $10,000 total but I need some body repairs and was hoping to have it painted too. I was hoping someone could help me out with a list and some idea how much the price will be.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:31 PM
Heather Bremer wrote:WOW! That was interesting reading. I have a 2004 2.2 ecotech cavalier. I would like to make about 230 to 250 HP but I am worried about the cost and possible damage to engine if not done correctly. I realize for that kind of HP I will need boost but it seems like a lot of internal mods. Are they really necessary? I have been told the stock internals can handle about 5 or 6 psi ok but this is my only car and I do not want to break it. Any recommendations?

I am also a little scared of the price tag. Last time I looked the Hahn turbo kits were around $5500. I was hoping to only spend about $10,000 total but I need some body repairs and was hoping to have it painted too. I was hoping someone could help me out with a list and some idea how much the price will be.

Hi Heather.

Are you talking about crank horsepower or wheel horsepower?

In that power range, no. You don't need to upgrade your bottom end. With $10,000, you can have a nice powerplant with the right direction. If you need any help, just let me know.

You can also find some more information on the forum in my signature if you feel you want to.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 8:45 PM
well i thank seen im just looking to drop my time at the track some im going to go with some spay

im lookin to start out with a zex 50 wet shot

looking at runing a RPM Activation Switch that will turn on the n20 at 3000 and kill it at 6000

Thursday, December 07, 2006 9:56 PM
Alright, thats fine.

Friday, December 08, 2006 10:35 PM
ok guys im going to run 40 lb injectors on 7 psi what air/fuel ratio fmu shold i run would a 6:1 work

and any one have a part number on them ngk plugs you all are runing

Saturday, December 09, 2006 12:12 AM
cavalierboy02 wrote:ok guys im going to run 40 lb injectors on 7 psi what air/fuel ratio fmu shold i run would a 6:1 work

and any one have a part number on them ngk plugs you all are runing

What size turbocharger are you trying to use? More than likely, 40 lb injectors are overkill.

What kind of FMU are you trying to use?

FYI: 6:1 isn't the air to fuel ratio, that is the fuel pressure to PSI of boost (so in this case, it will raise the fuel pressure 6 PSI for every PSI of boost pressure).

FMUs aren't that accurate as far as fuel management and the one you're probably thing of, a fixed ratio FMU, is even worse. If I were you, I'd look to different places for fuel management like HP Tuners but if you honestly feel you want an FMU, look into the Begi Adjustable FMU (same one that Hahn Racecraft uses in their turbo kits).

If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me or even reach me on the forum in my signature (fastest way to reach me).

Saturday, December 09, 2006 12:56 PM
if you are running an ecotec the stock injectors are good till around 10psi of boost. and running the nos is not going to be good for top end. you should get a deactivation switch to turn it off at your 7psi and use a 30hp shot to spool the turbo for second and third gear maybe fourth. the boost will over power your tires as is if it is stick. if you are running auto have the nos turn on at 2500 to 2600 and turn off at full boost. you will get out of the hole very fast! otherwise only use in second and third and not in top end. it may surge the turbo and over boost the engine. good luck
Saturday, December 09, 2006 1:41 PM
so i can run the stock inkectors with 7psi

who sales the Begi Adjustable FMU because i dont have hp tuners or know how to use it

Saturday, December 09, 2006 2:27 PM
cavalierboy02 wrote:so i can run the stock inkectors with 7psi

who sales the Begi Adjustable FMU because i dont have hp tuners or know how to use it

No, I would not suggest doing this.

Go to www.hptuners.com and start reading.

Sunday, December 10, 2006 12:48 PM
yes the stock injectors will be fine with only 7psi also i would run an inter cooler just because, if you raise boost later it will already be there. and do not forget after any forced induction you must run premium fuel 91 octane or higher. or you will not have that car long. and the reason the stock injectors are good cause with the supercharger kit you still use stock with the supercharger and that is with out the liquid cooling. so should be fine turbo-ed. good luck
Sunday, December 10, 2006 12:55 PM
brad eisenhauer wrote:yes the stock injectors will be fine with only 7psi also i would run an inter cooler just because, if you raise boost later it will already be there. and do not forget after any forced induction you must run premium fuel 91 octane or higher. or you will not have that car long. and the reason the stock injectors are good cause with the supercharger kit you still use stock with the supercharger and that is with out the liquid cooling. so should be fine turbo-ed. good luck

First problem I have with your statement is that you're saying "7 PSI", PSI is a measurement of pressure, has nothing to do with the amount of air that will be entering his combustion chamber necessarily to supply a certain amount of fuel.

Second thing, the GM stage kit defenitley does not use the stock injectors. They give you the same size injectors that are in a stock SS/SC or Redline. I can't remember the exact size but I want to say about 330-350 CC.

Monday, December 11, 2006 6:58 AM
all engine measurements deal with pressure. if the car is 10.0:1 that is 10 parts air and 1 fuel. adding boost forces more in so than 7 psi would take it to 17.0:1 if no fuel is added. and the injectors for 7 psi of boost out of a turbo with inter cooler would be fine. you would not even need to change the computer setting, when we tested with a 1bar map sensor no codes are thrown till 7.5 to 9 psi than it needed to go to a 2bar map. if he wants to run a turbo 7pounds of boosted with inter cooler do not even need a fuel management unit the ecotec goes very rick at 70% throttle till fuel cut off. this is tested and proven, i have worked on these since gm started with the performance parts for the ecotec. and tested for bates engineering who makes the parts for gm performance. i am just trying to help with what we have learned. so help, please stop fighting with me make your point in your reply. some times you do not list any info you just rebut. anyway like i said here to try to help, due to we have tested these engines and parts. so just take it as that.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search