lightweight flywheel - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
lightweight flywheel
Tuesday, May 11, 2004 10:33 PM
I've been looking at getting a lightweight flywheel. Anyone have some suggestions on what brand? Anyone had it done?

Re: lightweight flywheel
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 3:55 AM
Well there are as you know a few choices. RK Sport has one (#020984098). Most RK Sport pieces seem to be fairly decent quality. Most likely by now Unorthodox has one, too. There is also a choice from Grandfather Motors. It is PN 88958631and can be obtained and installed by your local GMPP dealer. The great thing about it is that it has been validated by GM. So, you don't void your warranty with this piece. Also, with factory engineered parts, you can be sure of the quality. But, I think they are a bit pricey. www.GMPartsDirect.com lists the unit at $470 with $90 in S&H charges. The RK Sport one is listed for $150. They also have a disclaimer to warn you against high powered stereos. Just my .02 <br>

04 Cavy LS Sport 5 Speed (34U) Rally Yellow - RK Sport Front & Rear Strut Tower
connectors. RK Sport "SS" Hood (functional CAI). XM Commander.
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 10:27 AM
Your thinkin of underdrive lightweight pulleys. I'm talkin about lightweight flywheel that's part of the clutch. THanks for the info on the pulleys though.

Also, i've had a couple of guys tell me that if my clutch is modular that you have to replace both the flywheel and clutch at the same time. Anyone know what the ecotec is?
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 12:55 PM
Wow, sometimes, I just don't take the time to actually read. Sad isn't it?
I don't believe that the clutch is modular. When a service department replaces a clutch, they only replace the disc. If the flywheel needs to be serviced (resurfaced), they do it. Understand that with a lightened flywheel, you'll rev quicker, but take off slower. This is because your engine has less rotational inertia stored in the flywheel. RK Sport has a lightened flywheel (#02095003 ) that takes the stock 24lbs down to 11lbs. For daily driving it can be a pain on hills, but acceleration will be much faster. Also, when it comes time to replace your clutch, you will be unable to resurface the flywheel.

<br>

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 3:30 PM
The rksport flywheel is the one i've been lookin at. I know that fidanza also makes one for the ecotec. The faster acceleration is what i'm goin for. Thanks!

If anybody has done this mod let me know what you think!!!!!
Saturday, May 15, 2004 9:56 AM
i have the mod and i swear by it, i already had all my internals done, and i am turbocharged, but when i put on the flywheel man it was a difference! my car revs up a lot faster now, and it feels like i have like 25-30 more hp at the wheels, i'm going dyno the car again later this month to see if i can back up that claim with proof. but i'd definatly say get it. mine is the gm performance one, and it is worth the money in my opinion.
Saturday, May 15, 2004 10:34 AM
Colt - Are you talking about a lighter flywheel or a lighter/underdrive pulley? I know GMPP makes an underdrive crank pulley, but am unaware of a lightened flywheel. If they do make it, can you post the part number?
<br>

Monday, June 14, 2004 7:20 AM
What about clutches? I will need one soo and I'd like to geta stage two type of clutch. Who has the best prices?

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Tuesday, June 29, 2004 6:10 PM
Here is a link for a fidanza flywheel for the ecos. The are a reputable company as well.
flywheel
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search