Tuning my 2003 cavalier 2.2 ecotec. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tuning my 2003 cavalier 2.2 ecotec.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:01 PM

Hey. whatsup. I'm new to this. I just recently got a 2003 chevy cavalier 2.2 ecotec engine and i love it. It runs great. I have plans on tuning it, I'm interested in a new intake system, and a new exhaust system for now.

I noticed it is rather hard to find an exhaust system for this car, i can only find a vibrant that will fit the car. Does anyone else have any ideas as to were i could order a different system? If not does anyone know anything about the vibrant exhaust systems?

Now for the intake system. I notice it is sorta cut down the middle as to weather it is a sri and a cai. I found an injen that is considered and sri, but then i found an aem that is considered a cai. In the images both filters will sit in the same place of the car, which would be right where the stock air filter box is. Would that be considered a cold air intake or a short ram intake? I'm thinking about going with the Injen sri intake, but i havent really decided .. any opinions on that?

Also, would anyone have any more idea's on how to make the car better perform, i do plan on getting a carbon fiber hood and rims and all that, but looks isnt everything if the car dont go.

Oh and one more thing, when buying parts for it, since its a 2.2 ecotec engine will the 2.2 L4 engine parts have the same fitment as the ecotec parts, or does it have to be made for the ecotec engine. IF the 2.2 L4 parts would fit the same that solves the problem of running low on performance parts. i myself think it has to be strictly ecotec parts, but who knows.

- 2003 CHEVY CAVALIER LS SPORT ECOTEC -

- Current Mods -
-- Vibrant Exhaust & DC Sport Header --
-- Lower Motor Mount & TTR Upper Motor Mount --
-- B&M ShiftPlus & Vibrant Front STB --
-- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake --

RIP DAD<3 We love & miss you so much!

Re: Tuning my 2003 cavalier 2.2 ecotec.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:24 AM
The Vibrant Exhaust System is a GREAT system. I have this system on my 03 cavalier. It has great tone and great performance. It really flows with the car, I love it. My work carrys this product if you are interested in this product. www.neverenoughauto.com hit me back if your interested.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:56 PM
When you say 2.2 "L4" are you talking about the 2.2 OHV motors that were in the older Cavaliers/Sunfires? If so, the answer is no...totally different engines.

As far as intake, it doesn't make that much difference...honestly, just pick one. Performance wise is minimal difference. Just make sure you buy a grand name so it has a hole for your IAT sensor and fits underneath your hood properly.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, June 07, 2007 11:05 AM
i'll probably be getting the exhaust in about a week or 2, i dont have enough money right now, but i will soon. I'll hit you up when i have the money to pay for it. peace.

check out pics of my car.

- Current Mods -

Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:09 PM
Well i cashed in some of my bonds i had so i decided to go ahead and order the vibrant exhaust from never enough auto. I cant wait to hear it and see the how it performs. I'll let you know what i think of it in a couple of weeks once i have it installed and everything. Thx for all the help. Peace.

- Current Mods -

Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:10 PM
Hurts to say this, but i spent more money hah. After thinking about it i figured it'd be a waste to have such a nice exhaust without the headers to go along with it. So i purchased some mimousa headers. I'll have everything installed together and let you all know how it performs.

Vibrant Exhaust System(never enough auto) - $408.00.
Mimousa Headers(ebay) - $241.68.
Installation - $$$
The Thrill of Driving My 2003 Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec - PRICELESS.

- Current Mods -

Thursday, June 07, 2007 9:37 PM
Good luck

Thursday, June 07, 2007 10:18 PM
i'm gonna need the luck, i looked the setup, and it seems easy enough so i'm gonna install it all myself. I'll let you know. It'll be done sooner now that it'll be done by myself.

- Current Mods -

Friday, June 08, 2007 7:57 AM
Do i need to buy a new catalytic converter as well ?

- Current Mods -

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:05 PM
Well i got the exhaust on the car, some mods were needed, its all good now though. It sounds amazing, not loud at idle but it takes off, i cant wait to get the headers installed probably next week.. thursday or friday .. peace.

- Current Mods -

Friday, June 15, 2007 9:58 PM
RFOGALX wrote:Do i need to buy a new catalytic converter as well ?

Get a new Catalytic Converter just to keep up the same diameter throughout your exhaust system.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search