Horsepower? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Horsepower?
Friday, June 08, 2007 6:52 PM
Does anyone know the max horsepower a 2.2L ecotec engine will handle before it blows? And how much total horsepower do you have in your car right now? What's all installed that increased the horsepower. I know my stock horse power is 145, so once i get the exhaust hooked up with the header im thinking around 160? I'm thinking in that range, but i'm not sure? Also did anyone have the max chip removed. Its sort of like a goverener, i call it a max chip, dont know if thats the correct name. But when you revive the engine up it hits 4000 rpms and then stops, thats the max chip, or atleast what i'm referring too. If so how much did your mechanic charge for it. I want to have it removed, but i dont know where to go.

- 2003 CHEVY CAVALIER LS SPORT ECOTEC -

- Current Mods -
-- Vibrant Exhaust & DC Sport Header --
-- Lower Motor Mount & TTR Upper Motor Mount --
-- B&M ShiftPlus & Vibrant Front STB --
-- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake --

RIP DAD<3 We love & miss you so much!

Re: Horsepower?
Saturday, June 09, 2007 4:23 AM
You can't chip a OBDII computer. To actually remove the limiter, you would have to actually re-flash the computers PCM which is basically changing the programming...you can use HP Tuners to do so but PLEASE don't buy HP Tuners just to do that. It has many of purposes.

The 4000 limiter is for safety reasons on a automatic...it's there for a reason.

Max power I've seen someone finally get it to go was over 300 whp and then they blew a Piston Ringland. They were also turbocharged.

Also, there aren't suppoed to be any topics on removing the limiter but I'll leave it open if you want to talk about anything else besides the limiter.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:49 AM
^x2

I'd keep the limiter, to. I've a 2.4 mated to the 5 spd Getrag, and LOVE the idea of a rev limiter. It keeps you from accidentally over-reving the engine without a load. If you hang out at the limit, you'll blow the engine VERY soon. So don't treat it like a crutch that you can lean on. I wouldn't change the rev limiter AT ALL! If you're refering to the governor, then that's supposed to keep you from exceeding the maximum safe system speed (with a generous cusion). If you up the horsepower and upgrade the drivetrain and suspension, and have somewhere to 'safely' get up in triple digits, THEN you could think of upping the governor. Um, by the way, what is the governed speed on these Deltas anyway? My old 'Fire was limited to 108, and the speedo only read up to 110. So, does that mean my G5 is rated 120-130?
Sunday, June 10, 2007 8:21 AM
My cars speedo only hits 110, im not sure what the car will actually do yet though. I thought the limiter held the car back as well? I'll keep that in there, i cant find anyone that deals with those anyways.

- 2003 CHEVY CAVALIER LS SPORT ECOTEC -

- Current Mods -
-- Vibrant Exhaust & DC Sport Header --
-- Lower Motor Mount & TTR Upper Motor Mount --
-- B&M ShiftPlus & Vibrant Front STB --
-- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake --

RIP DAD<3 We love & miss you so much!
Sunday, June 10, 2007 12:10 PM
Naw, the REV limiter won't keep you from accelerating into triple digits. It'll keep you from over-reving the engine when not in gear/propeling the car. The governor limiter will keep you from accelerating to dangerous speeds that the car isn't designed to be safe at. Neither one 'holds you back'. The PCM will let you go as fast as you want in as little time as you want...up to the program's limiting parameters.
Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:56 PM
RFOGALX wrote:My cars speedo only hits 110, im not sure what the car will actually do yet though. I thought the limiter held the car back as well? I'll keep that in there, i cant find anyone that deals with those anyways.

You wouldn't be gaining power...you'd just be revving for no reason. Look at a dyno sheet of a stock ecotec motor and you'll see what I'm talking about.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search