port and polishing - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
port and polishing
Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:42 PM
im thinking of porting and polishing the head on my 04 cavi. does anyone have any knowledge of what kinds of hp gains i might see. only mods i have are a cat back exhaust and short ram rksport intake. if anyone has tips on any mods that could be done to the head to gain hp or make it run quicker i'd appriciate it.

Re: port and polishing
Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:42 PM
In my opinion, it would be a wasteful modification unless you were planning on doing something that would require such a dramatic change in airflow intake.

What are your plans for your car? How much money are you trying to spend? Are you doing the work yourself or are you paying a shop?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, July 02, 2007 8:34 AM
No matter who does it, I'd suggest getting it done on a spare head.

Monday, July 02, 2007 1:05 PM
it will be a waist of time and money the stock head flows great. use the money on cams and cam gears or hp tuner, the cost are about the same but the head will not do much for you.
Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:34 PM
ok lets let a professional handle this...I port and polish heads that’s what I do....I would say you can expect awesome gains if you do it right and smart....you need at least a 120 grit finish in the intake that improves both swirl and tumble...after you have a good flowing intake and you matched up your manifold....turn to the combustion chamber...this is where ppl get it wrong...it is imperative to get gains you need to make it a mirror finish..you want all the energy in your burn that you just improved by atomizing the mixture to be reflected down into the burn...making the "burn" hotter and not the head....keeping the energy from getting absorbed by the head in vital to make power....also in the exhaust port esp. w/ a turbo you want a mirror finish with good flowing ports....the hotter the exhaust gas gets the faster the exhaust gas goes.....that’s what spins the turbo....the hot expanding gas...the hotter and faster it expands the faster you can spool a turbo and make power....also the ports have to be the right length for your flow...the ecotec flows great already the exhaust needs to be opened up a little more...and all the casting banks need to go away....you don’t have to worry about valve job...its got a 3 angel already...and im here to break the myth of needing the valves bigger...that’s a v8 8v theory brought to the I4 16v's...they are flowing great already...and as far as cams go...I say keep the stock ones...and tune the thing right...with a good flowing head and nice turn on the A/F and a good Cam Tune w/ intake and exhaust...ima say you can see gains of over 35hp

167,000 on an Ecotec since 02

Sunday, October 07, 2007 6:01 PM
i agree with Prophit but as for the valves and cams they are well worth the money and might as well if your going to be in the engine already and it just makes life a lot more easy and bigger valve would do nothing but help the mod i would do a 5-7 angle valve grind for a full race vehicle and 3-5 for a daily driver but i am just say in my opinion and it would help the heart ache as a wyotech alumni

Its Pronounced {TEAR I AL}
YEAH THE ORANGE BITCH CAR HIT FASTER THEN YOUR HONDA!!!!!!
hit a 15.43 on intake and cat back in wendover
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search