Steps to take before a turbo - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steps to take before a turbo
Tuesday, July 27, 2004 2:49 PM
Ok, so I'm a complete noob. I can admit that, I claim that, and I live it. But at the same time, better to ask and get flaming answers than not ask and have a flaming engine.

Now that the b/s is out of the way, I have some questions. I am looking at putting the Hann Turbo kit on my '04 Ecotec. My question is this, what steps should I take to protect my engine, or maybe to harness more power out of my kit. I do know that since the engine was designed N/A a turbo will cause damage regardless, but I would just like to minimize the damage. Any tips or advice or better parts would be great.

Also, I know that at around 265HP the connecting rods are thrown, any ideas on a good company? I haven't researched the connecting rods much yet.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Steps to take before a turbo
Tuesday, July 27, 2004 4:05 PM
the hahh kit is a good kit and will provide lots of good boost

and going with their recomendations on their kit , you should have years of good reliable boost

<br>

Tuesday, July 27, 2004 4:26 PM
you could get some Eagle connecting rods + JE Pistons with them and get a Copper head gasket from GM. And get it with an intercooler. You will be satisfied with it.
Wednesday, July 28, 2004 7:45 PM
read the following books
maximum boost by corky bell
turbochargers by hugh maclnnes
and any other supercharging book
Friday, July 30, 2004 1:22 PM
a complete list of what you need to change, and when!
available here

this however does not tell you what octane fuel you will have to run with what boost pressure under a given compression, to prevent pre-ignition. The article meantions the destroked cranck that runs 2.0liter displacment, but they make a few 2.2 crancks that'll handle well over 1000 horespower, and for much less than the $3000 gm crank. <br>

To get more performance from your vehicle, learn to drive it better.
Tuesday, August 03, 2004 6:34 AM
thank you very much for the help. i will look into all of this.
Saturday, September 11, 2004 10:08 AM
Ive been doing alot of research myself and a lot of the 12- 10 sec. guys at the local track say the best thing after u turbo is get an A/T. Manuals have to build boost b/c of the clutch engagement and also when teh shift they lose rpms which equates to lost boost... thus with an A/T u have full boost off the line and ur always running through ur torque range never losing ur boost..... so Manuals arent always better... I spray a zex shot with my auto and I hook up no wheel spin nothing my car launches like an awd and thats not a lie if anyone wants to discredit me go to Napierville I will show them on any tuesday night I have the sleeper cavalier......
Saturday, September 11, 2004 1:36 PM
how much hp do you want??? if you want to do under 300 you should be fine with no internals. if you want to do more like 400 like i want to. then get look at www.mantapart.com and get some rods and pistons trhey have a piston kit for the eco that includes the pistons, rings, and wrist pins. for 600.00 usd i think. then they have some rods for like 600.00 and a copper gasket for 200.00 then put these in and crank your boost and you can go up to like 450. if you want more than that you will need a new crank.
Saturday, September 11, 2004 6:28 PM
shop around u can get better prices on all that stuff. iv seen eagle rods for 330, veniola makes pistons and have some very good prices, u can get a cometec gasket for like 100. dont get stuck on one place there are many websits to order your parts from.

REDD
Saturday, September 11, 2004 11:56 PM
Kyle: what are your 60' times?
What rpm do you launch at?

Tyler: Don't settle on one store. Pistons can be custom made. Just call up all the piston manufacterors and see what they have. The pistons should come with the wrist pins. The eagle rods are fare less than 600. like T B said they can be had for $330 and the cometic Multi layered steel (much better than copper and lasts longer ) can be had for less than $100.
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 1:07 PM
Most important. Do all of your required maintence. If there is a small problem even if it is unoticed before boost, it will amplify the problem 10 times after boost.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 3:15 PM
I have had the hahnracecraft stage 2 kit on for about 2 months. It is very reliable. GM says the stock ecotec will handle up to 285 hp. Gm also said if you add the rods, copper head gasket, and the forged pistons like EL was saying, the motor will handle 500 hp.
Dude dont worry about the stock crank.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search