Do you need both cat converters? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do you need both cat converters?
Monday, November 12, 2007 5:56 PM
I'm Going to change out my exhuast with Tsudo header, magna flow cat 2.25" in and out with a cherrybomb muffler. I noticed that there are two cat converters do i need both of them and what do you think of my choice of exhaust, be honest Im new! The reason why I got a muffler instead of a glass pack is because I tend to get pulled over alot and if you know anything about VA police you'll know why.

Re: Do you need both cat converters?
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:50 AM
What car do you have?

You should only have 1 catalytic converter. You might be mistaking a resonator for your catalytic converter.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:59 AM
Ben i m not sur this tsudo fit on a ion but you can buy from a redline a header and downpipe. your catback can be custom build 2.25'' wihtout a resonator. check my pictures on http://huckernage.monchar.com/
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:52 PM
I thought all 2.2 ecotecs were the same 02-04. what would permit the Tsudo's from fitting right?*
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:55 PM
I got a 03 Saturn ion. and you're right I think that other thing is a resonator. I dont need that right?
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:07 PM
Ben Spicer wrote:I got a 03 Saturn ion. and you're right I think that other thing is a resonator. I dont need that right?

A resonator helps keep the exhaust tone lower. It's up to you if you want to keep it or replace or not replace it.

As far as your other question...

All L61s (2.2L) are the same motors but fitment might be different from one chassis to another, that's why it might say for J-bodies and not for the Deltas.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:24 PM
OK, I don't know what the whole JBody and Delta thing is, but is it possible to "customize" the header to fit. The only part that would need it would be the lower pipes right?
Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:25 AM
Ben Spicer wrote:OK, I don't know what the whole JBody and Delta thing is, but is it possible to "customize" the header to fit. The only part that would need it would be the lower pipes right?

J-body and Delta is referring to the chassis type

J-body: Cavalier, Sunfire
Delta: Cobalt, HHR, Ion

Because of the chassis being different, I don't know how much interference there is with the b-pipe there will be.

But honestly, just buy one that is FOR your car to keep this issue to a minimum.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:25 AM
Sunday, November 18, 2007 6:17 PM
Nice site, but $500 for a header is pretty steep. I can get a cam set for that much.
Monday, November 19, 2007 7:49 AM
Ben Spicer wrote:Nice site, but $500 for a header is pretty steep. I can get a cam set for that much.

agreed.

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:22 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saturn-Ion-Redline-Vibrant-4-2-1-Exhaust-Header-2537_W0QQitemZ290181818952QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33631QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its a good compromise I think and its bolt on with our catback. its expensive but you get header, hi flow cat, pipe.
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:34 AM
That's pretty awesome!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search