Header for Cavy part 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Header for Cavy part 2
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:48 PM
K i got the header in and i forgot to ask in my last post what kind of coating or wrap do i need to get. I know the wrap actually works but looks ugly. And i pretty sure its really expensive to ship the header off to get the dang thing ceramic coated. I quess im wondering if u have a header on your car what did u do to it if anything and how much did it cost?

Re: Header for Cavy part 2
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:28 PM
Don't use wrap on a street car. Doesn't the header have a coating on it now? Let me put it this way, my friend had some headers on his Camaro that lasted 5 years of daily use. They started their life with only paint and that didn't last more than a year. How long do you plan to keep your car? Are you having trouble with high temps under the hood, or are you going for looks?

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:00 PM
No the header doesnt have a coating on it. I plan on keeping the car a couple years. I havent put the headers on yet and i dont want to find out the hard way and start buring @!#$ under my hood. Looks are in the back of my mind but im mainly going for underhood heat. Im not sure how how they will run but i still dont want to take the risk.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:48 PM
Does it just have paint?
I understand your thinking and feel the same way, but the the 04 Cav has alot of space back there for air flow. I do know that Jet Hot coating will make power and lower temps, but it doesn't last. On the ceramic, I was told something near $500. I will say that I only asked a speed shop owner and that may be wrong.
Do you have a pic of the header?

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:51 PM
It is the Rksport type header. It is the same exact design.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:30 PM
So try the header wrap. I've heard good and bad things about it
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:06 PM
K. Good? Bad? what have u heard
Friday, April 03, 2009 8:53 PM
All I know is that your header will not last as long if you use the wrap. How much shorter the life would be I don't know. It's up to you, I'm just going to put my RK Sport header on the way it is. If it screws up the paint near it so be it, my car will never be a show car. A CAI would help keep the intake air cool. I had a AEM, but it was messed up so I took it off. Don't get me started on that thing. I have a K&N short ram now and I'm still looking for a good CAI that I like.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto
Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:00 AM
If the header is made from quality Stainless Steel, wrap it. It wont decrease the life of the header. If it is crappy SS or mild steel, send it out to be coated. The wrap will hold moisture against the header and cause it to rust out faster, but quality SS doesn't rust so you're safe.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:41 PM
I got a quote in from Jet-Hot they only priced me at 250 for the extreme sterling so thats what im going to go with.
Friday, May 15, 2009 8:56 PM
Be sure to post a pic when you get them back.

04 Cav auto
95 Beretta auto

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search