Engine Swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Swap
Monday, March 24, 2008 6:18 AM
Ok im concidering swapping my 2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2 Ecotec Engine for a 2006 Cobalt 2.2 ecotec engine. My question is will this work as far as boilting up to my 5 speed transmission. I know the coils are different but is there a way I can make it work? Anyone ever tried this before?

Re: Engine Swap
Monday, March 24, 2008 2:42 PM
why do you want to swap it? Did you blow your sunfire engine? Not 100% sure that it will mate to your tranny, but you could swap over your coils from your sunfire engine.

Or did you mean the 2.4 ecotec?
Monday, March 24, 2008 7:24 PM
Its gonna be an eco to eco swap. I didnt blow the other engine but the charge to change the timing chain, balance shaft, and water exceeds the price of swapping an engine so why not just do it? besides the engine i wanna swap mine with only has 6000 miles on it so why not? I didnt blow the motor and its a 2.2 eco as well as the 2.2 eco cobalt engine. Im just curious if its going to bolt up to the trani i have now or what i should do about it.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:49 PM
yes it should bolt right up it is the same motor
Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:28 PM
yes it will bolt right up to the transmission but the 06 cobalt engine has a sensor on top by the cams and for this fact it wont work you can not go any newer then a 2004 L61 unless you want to change the head over

what is wrong with the balance shafts the timing is easy to set if you need help or another motor let me know i have two more ecotecs in my garage one is an 02 and the other is a 2004

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:46 PM
If you're going to go through the trouble of a engine swap on a engine that doesn't have anything wrong with it, why not just get a Haynes book and do the maintenance on the L61?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:19 PM
U will need to use ur old oil pan.... Dont think the cobalts have the Dog bone mount... at least the 05 doner car dident . Had to use the 03 pan to make it work!

491whp, 393wtq
11.93@ 127mph
Raven Autosports (902)850-3330

Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:47 AM
will the wiring harness and ecu work in my cavalier when swaping??
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search