2.2 Litre Eco-Tec Governor Removal - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Litre Eco-Tec Governor Removal
Friday, July 17, 2009 4:41 PM
First off, I need a real answer for this. If you don't want to tell me then please don't bother posting a reply, sorry if that sounds rude as its not intended but if you don't want to tell me for fear of my safety or whatever your reasoning being then refrain from making a post. I mod my car for fun, yes I enjoy speed NO I don't race on the street I'm NOT a moron. I own a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt (NOT the SS) base model. I have modded it for performance to some degree but before I can go any further I need advice. I have installed new slotted rotors, along with Brembo pads, swapped out the stock shocks struts etc for performance brand. Installed an InJen cold air intake system. Now I know there is a bolt on supercharger for the motor, which I will be ordering and having installed, and I have a VEX Nitrous Kit sitting on my garage floor also waiting to be installed. However before I can proceed with any engine work I need to disable to governor on the vehicle which kicks in at 180 KM/H (I'm Canadian), please refrain from telling me it can not be done as I know better than that and at a rally last week I saw a gent with the SAME exact car as mine with a disabled governor, I just didn't have a chance to see the driver to know where he had gotten the kit to disable it.

GM in my area said they will do the work provided I give them the kit. I'm not a mechanic (well not engine wise anyways) so I have to have them do the work and so far I trust them.

Ive seen multiple links on the internet, to be hooked into the OBD II system that claims to remove the limiter, course I don't think thats right but if it is would someone be so kind as to link me the site. Also suggestions for the supercharger would be welcome, I'm looking at the Eaton kit.

Id appreciate any answers you guys have, and again please don't post if your going to ridicule me. I'm not some fool who wants to kill myself on the street, I simply enjoy working on the car and coaxing more power from the motor. I'm just not engine savvy as much as some other people. Thank you.

Re: 2.2 Litre Eco-Tec Governor Removal
Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:23 AM
As far as I know the way to remove your governor I think you need to get a software program or find someone who has it and remove it from there. The program itself costs 4-500 dollars and to register a vehicle with someone else who has one it is 150 or more depending on what needs to be done. Personally I would just buy it yourself that way any modifications that need to be done you can do yourself. The program is called HP tuners and the price I listed is for one vehicle only and to get the full version for all I think it runs about 8 grand or so
Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:33 AM
Todd, yep you were right I found a race shop in Ohio with the HP Tuner its 499.99 US Ive already made the arrangements to pick one up from him at that cost as I will be able to use it for future applications (boost, change timing etc...) nice guy he was too. Thanks for giving me some direction as GM was no help whatsofreakin'ever!
Friday, November 13, 2009 12:34 PM
or, you could not spend rediculous amounts of money and splice the wires going to your spedo, send them to a switch which you would mount wherever you would like, and the spedo shuts off when you flip the switch, confusing the ECU, and thus not shutting the car off at a wapping 105 mph.
Monday, November 30, 2009 6:08 AM
simple answer to all of this is get a Trifecta tune for the supercharger, nitrous and all at once if installed at once.
Vince thru a tune can remove the top end limiter which is what it is.
simple tune download w some WOT data logging runs and retuning based on your data logs. 2 to 3 hours later you have all you need.

i sent you an email

Chevy owner since age 14. 40th year.
2.2 LS Auto- 130+ mods and re-mods
2006 HHR of the Year
http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/CjsShagy
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2246814

Sean Joseph (Shagy) Krause 11/1/1986- 5/1/2005
Click HERE to view our Son Sean's Memorial with pics, guest book and biography.
Sean and Gpa's, together again. We miss you bud.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search