Performance and Fuel Economy - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Performance and Fuel Economy
Monday, January 11, 2010 3:15 PM
Hey all, I am new here, and to cars/the ecotec. I only got my driver's licence a month or so ago. I am looking to get a bit more power while trying to increase fuel economy at the same time. I would like to do the cheapest and simplest mods possible, best gain for the buck type thing. Looking to stick with intake and exhaust work, nothing too intense. Sorry if some people get offended by this and tell me that i should have bought a more powerful car in the beginning but i like my '03 sunfire 5spd, nothing wrong with it. Thanks in advance guys.

Re: Performance and Fuel Economy
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:07 PM
well then ur headed in the right path, from there there's alot of other mods for power, but don't expect to be gaining any mileage.

Re: Performance and Fuel Economy
Friday, January 15, 2010 7:16 AM
Increasing performance and increasing fuel economy is a very fine line. It can be done, but is not easy and alot has to deal with your driving style. Installing a better intake and exhaust will help both, but only if you drive the car like a grandma.

My car is a good example. I have a supercharged cavalier. If i cruise on the highway(no WOT, just driving normally) i can get 30mpg or better, but i am not using the extra performance i gained with the supercharger. If i drive around enjoying the extra performance the S/C gives me my MPG drops down to 27ish mpg. It is always a trade off, but my view is: Cavaliers/Sunfires already get good MPG so i have some to spare.

There is no hate on GME Network for J-bodies or Deltas, but we all(who heavily mod them) understand that they are the not one of the top 10 choices of the tuning community. Which sucks because we are about 10 years behind Honda and their accomplishments. As long as you keep your head on your shoulders and dont act like J-bodies or Delta are gods gift to cars then real tuners will not give you trouble.

I was at a dyno day a few months ago with a bunch of local Subbies. There were DSMs, EVOs, BMWs, STIs, a procharged corvette, etc. When my cav was pulled onto the dyno i heard people giggling and one person say "i bet it'll put down 88hp a 4k rpm". I just smiled and said nothing. I didnt hear much giggling or any insults after the car put down a 219whp run followed by 2 more 210whp runs(damn heatsoak). I always let my car do the talking.

219whp - I <3 whine

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search