Looking for quietest/performance Muffler - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking for quietest/performance Muffler
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:50 PM
As the title says. Car is a 2002 Sunfire with the 2.2 Ecotec. Don't want loud muffler just looking for a good muffler for a decent performance gain. I read in GMHigh tech about the Cobalt SS 2.4L they had and added a GMPP muffler, but what interested me was this touring muffler they had. Can't find, but not looking to spend that much either since this is a daily. Just looking for an extra couple of ponies. Also looking into a K&N CAI or RK Sport(looks kinda cheap).
Thanks for any help on this matter.
Paul

2000 Trans Am-LS1 w/GMMG catback w/electric cutout, TSP Lid an K&N, Smog & EGR Delete, rebuilt 4L60E w/Trans Go Shift Kit on Boyd Coddington 17x8 17x10's
1985 Iroc-Z 305 TPI head and Camm'd
2002 Sunfire 2.2L Ecotec

Re: Looking for quietest/performance Muffler
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:18 PM
does'nt matter what intake you buy, it's just a pipe and a filter. although a k+n filter is probly the best out there. but the pipe means nothing.

as far as getting a few extra ponies out of a muffler you'd be lucky to get 1. but if you still just wanna change the sound of the exhaust up for a few bucks, go with magnaflow or dynomax super turbo.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:51 PM
Well I understand the minimal gain from a muffler. I am not all that interested in the loud annoying tone that 4 cylinder cars make(no offense to anyone just not for me). An exhaust can pick up as much as 6-7hp, I am looking for a gain without the noise is what I meant to say. I already have my toys(Ls1 and TPI and soon an LQ9 into an 88 Firebird)I just want this pretty cool Sunfire to be able to get out of its own way. I am going to add a header to it later on down the line.
I also know that tubing it tubing, but quality is not all the same. The plastics can be junk on one kit and pretty good on the next.
The thing also is..my mother has a 4 door 2004 Cavy and I feel its been a good little car wayyyyy better than the 2.2 ohv crap. Have beaten a Tiburon(4 banger)a 99 civic EX(buddies daily)and my girlfriend has an 07 Cobalt LS 2 door thats not too bad. So just want to pep this little thing up a bit so I am not killing gas in my gas hogs.

2000 Trans Am-LS1 w/GMMG catback w/electric cutout, TSP Lid an K&N, Smog & EGR Delete, rebuilt 4L60E w/Trans Go Shift Kit on Boyd Coddington 17x8 17x10's
1985 Iroc-Z 305 TPI head and Camm'd
2002 Sunfire 2.2L Ecotec

Friday, February 26, 2010 3:52 PM
http://cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=130&pid=1026 this is probly the cheapest "quality" intake you'll find for the eco. slap a k+n on and ur good to go.

and yes a FULL exhaust may add that much horsepower, but just a muffler no you won't see 6-7 hp. if you upgrade your whole exhaust to 2.25 or 2.50 exhaust piping, a header, a decent muffler like the one's i already posted, a high flow cat, and a long resonator, you'll have a nice sounding exhaust that will give you 10-15 hp without tuning.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:12 AM
but does that intake work with the 02 eco J-body? I keep seeing people saying that intakes that arent for the 02 wont fit for some reason or another.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:27 PM
yes it will fit.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search