need better MPG - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need better MPG
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 1:39 PM
OK so the 03 I just bought is still 1000% stock. It feels faster than my 04, but the 04 has "the bong" removed. Although the noise level inside both cars is the same, on the outside the 04 is significantly louder. I would rather keep the noise level down, but I want to get the MPG that the 04 has, I am only getting 24-25MPG with the 03 and the 04 is getting 29-30MPG consistently, or at least it was when I was driving it (04) last.

Any suggestions? Will a K&N really help that much?

Re: need better MPG
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 1:41 PM
Forgot to add that they are Cavalier automatic 4 door's, identical down to the color and options.
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:32 PM
Helping your engine breath a bit will help with gas mileage...a little.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 9:50 AM
Well, if it's not airflow/intake resonator removal, then why such a difference in mileage between the 2? Both run the same oil, changed at the same time... when I was driving the 04 I got 29-30MPG consistently and I drive the 03 the same way, on the same route and only get 24MPG on average. What could the problem be?
Wednesday, February 07, 2007 4:34 PM
Check your tire pressures. One of the first things i would do, and your allignment could be out, causing a tire to drag slightly. Not to the point where you are causing damage, but i would at least check tire pressures.
Friday, February 09, 2007 2:31 PM
...so... I think I know what the "problem" was.

FYI I get my #'s from an average of 3 tanks. It has been unseasonably cold and snowy more than normal for Colorado since I have purchsed the car, finally the weather is starting to return to normal for Colorado. With the AC compressor running all the time cause of Defrost being run 90% of the time, the MPG must have went down as a result. Although it has still been cold, I have not had to use defrost nearly as much cause of the change in the weather. Last set of tanks I got 27MPG, this makes more sense.
Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:21 AM
knn stock replacement air filter added 4 mpg to my 03 sunfire, also have 2 mpg added fothat for oversized tires, and another 2-3 for sythetic oils in engine and trans(i have 5 spd) i was consistent on 30 mpg city about 39 mpg split and etimating 45-47 mpg straight highway. accel;eration curve is also crucial, seems that shift points over 1750 rpm reduce milage and staying i a gear too lng hurt also accelerating too slow is just as bad as too fast just have to learn what your car likes when it comes to that. as of the tires, stock was 195/65/15 now running 215/65/15 4% larger and the absolute biggest that will clear the strus and not rub given that my car is not lowered.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search