LSJ, LK9, L61 or 2.4 for my swap? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LSJ, LK9, L61 or 2.4 for my swap?
Monday, September 10, 2012 5:41 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm new here, but not new to 4cylinders. My previous race car was a Honda S2000 N/A 300hp that won many races.

I currently have the option of building a total Frankenstein track car, and the Ecotec family looks a good choice due to cost vs. hp.

The car in question? 1969 BMW 2002 that is basically an engine-less car that is in fairly decent condition. All I have to do is build a cage, get suspension and do the engine swap. I'm fairly familiar with engine swaps, so that's not a big fright for me. I would like to get some information from you guys and elsewhere regarding the differences of the different Ecotec engines.
I've done a fair bit of research already, and what I have found is that the gen II engines are the preferable models, but they are fairly cost prohibitive. So, due to cost considerations, I think I have to stick with the 1st gen.

So, out of the 1st gen, which are the preferable engines? My goal is to make somewhere in the neighborhood of 185-225 whp and I'm pretty sure it will have to be boosted to get there. N/A would be ideal, but seems that these engines are not revvers like the F20C and respond well to boost anyway.

Am I on the right track?

BTW, the car is mostly going to be a track car at 1900lbs, so driveability of the engine is not that important as long as I have power at 4000rpm and above.

I look forward to your comments.

David

Re: LSJ, LK9, L61 or 2.4 for my swap?
Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:31 PM
To me it looks like a LK9 would be the best choice for you if you can get a complete one with the turbo system still on it. Just drop it in a go.

The L61 would need boost, but could handle your power goals on stock internals.
The LSJ would be my 2nd choice after the LK9, but in a RWD application the throttle body would be pointing right into the firewall.
The 2.4L(LE5) would be my last choice mainly because of the VVT. I am unsure if there are any aftermarket stand-a-lones that can run it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search