Benefits of new heads - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Benefits of new heads
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:31 PM
I have been searching the web and researching our engine. I am planning on rebiulding my Ecotec and boosting to around 400 HP when all is said and done. I have seen a few cylinder heads for the Eco and I was wondering if I would get any real benefit out of an aftermarket head. I can port and polish my stock head myself and I can also change out the valves and all that stuff, but would is a completely new head worth $1400 (cheapest one I found)?

Re: Benefits of new heads
Thursday, February 16, 2006 2:02 AM
If you're turbocharging, of course. I am currently running a T3/T4 50 Trim turbo on my Patriot Performance Stage II Head it runs like a champ. The benefits of it on a turbo charged system is that on the exhaust side it's able to push out more of a steady exhaust flow to spool the turbo easier and faster and on the intake side, it allows more compressed air to enter the motor.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, February 26, 2006 8:09 AM
I have the stage II ecotec asy from patriot performance . it was fully asembled and just so you know in case you dont, every bolt is tourqe to yield, including the head bolts. In my opinion i would pay the money and save yourself a potential nightmare. patriots customer service is absolutely outstanding they will help you with anything. i had a head crack and they figured out why ( my fault no less) and still replaced it free of charge, and that was after they already replaced one because ups @!#$in dropped it. I had a werner machining, who specializes in performance porsche heads inspect the unit and sais that everything is exactly how it should be and that whoever buit it takes pride in their work. the porting is not a @!#$ty grind job either it's done with computer machining. One more vital piece of info, when you install the spark plugs do not exceed 10 ft lbs or you will crack the waterjacket the heads are very thin for the ecotec, and use head bolts not studs unless you absolutely have to. I busted arp studs of in ecotec blocks and they have to be adjusted after so long, @!#$ that noise. plenty of other things i could tell you having done this plenty of times just ask.
Wednesday, November 04, 2015 3:46 PM
I've just bought this head and planning to use ARP studs. I'll follow the advice on the plugs! The head will get a full cleaning before install. Does anyone know if this head came with Ferrea Valves, +1MM? The valves are oversized so I know a valve job has been done, but what valves are used? Bronze guides as well I believe were part of the stage 2?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search