Intakes - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intakes
Sunday, October 03, 2004 3:44 PM
Built up a list of intakes for our Ecotec

AEM Cold Air Intake
Weapon-R Secret Weapon Intake (Short Ram)
Weapon-R Dragon Intake (Short Ram)
Injen Intake (Short Ram)
RKSport Intake (Short Ram)

Anything else ???

Re: Intakes
Sunday, October 03, 2004 5:36 PM
That looks good, I just got done installing my AEM Cold Air intake this weekend. It was of easy-moderate difficulty but its awesome. You can notice a power difference and it's pretty loud. I'm really happy about this purchase, and hopfully as happy when my B&M Short Throw Shifter comes to my door in about 3-5 business days
Monday, October 04, 2004 12:32 PM
wish i could get that CAI from AEM but i deal with winter here so heh ill live with a short ram from RKsport.
Thursday, October 07, 2004 3:48 PM
I live in wisconsin, you dont think i deal with winter here?? lol I dont plan on hitting any drifts so im not worried about snow getting sucked up it, but my AEM CAI is pretty nicly set up. Where i should have a fog light i have that opening for one but the bars in it. The air filter is directly behind it. If i run into a problem with snow i can always put something behind that opening so its all good.
Thursday, October 07, 2004 6:31 PM
RSM,
mantapart
induction Dynamics

that is just off of the top of my head I am sure i will come up with more

<br>

Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:34 PM
also for the ecotec:k&n typhoon intake and weapon r hyper v2(shortram)...and rksport cool air intake
Monday, November 08, 2004 4:38 AM
then if you wanna take into consideration. Homemade ones aswell ... thats what I did, deep tone fairly loud and so far I've gotten a number of compliments on how well it looks for being homemade <br>

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Monday, November 08, 2004 9:53 AM
why not just buy a K&N cone race filter ..take off the airbox and put it right on the end of the factory pipe?
Monday, November 08, 2004 3:12 PM
thas wat i did...but its temporary bcuz the intake piping is not round and its hard to find a cone filter that ll fit it.... its oval and the intake piping is like hard plastic...
Monday, November 08, 2004 6:48 PM
I took The S pipe off between the air box and the oval opening and put a 3'' cone filter from auto zone on their. I even left the stock air box in, I just waiting to get an intake but, it sounds damn good.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, November 08, 2004 8:01 PM
factory TB cover is the most restrictive thing on our intake system. I did what you guys did at first when I was making my intake. Had the cone filter sittin off the TB cover and such... it sounded ok... but when I finally got rid of my TB cover & did my full intake setup it made a huge difference in sound quality and a lot more throttle response. All you need is a 90 degree elbow (i bought mine off ebay) The filter, and then buy a universal pipe for an accord or integra or something (autozone, pepboys, etc) Hack the pipe down about 6" off the straight part, sand the inside & such to make sure its clean, put the 90 elbow on the TB, the 45 degree bend end of the pipe into the elbow, direct the pipe where it will fit according, and then put the filter on the end. Heres some pics of mine

<br>

Monday, November 08, 2004 8:59 PM
has anyone ever thought about making a homade one out of PVC piping?..it looks like it would be kinda easy to do so..just take all the pipes from where CavyFreak442 started at the T.B. and just rout the pipes through the fender well and put your filter right behind the foglight or if you did'nt buy an LS Sport you can just put it right behind the little foglight grille..i bet that would provide excelent flow right?
Tuesday, November 09, 2004 2:17 AM
you would prolly have to relocate ur battery like I'm in the process of doing. Cause the stock intake bong hole is to the right of where the battery is (look at AEM cold air intakes) or u'd have to figure out all the bends & such to do it to go around the battery like AEM intake does. Problem with that would be every bend or elbow u'd put there, thats just a little more restriction that air hits on the way in (not too much, but its still happening) so u dont get the greatest flow. I'm relocating my battery to where my airbox is on the pictures shown (its gone now) and then mounting the peice of pipe I cut off my intake down below bumper where the old airbox bong is, with a cone filter there (a 2nd one that is) and then I'm gonna have a peice of flex pipe to connect to my current pipe there so I have a choice to go either Short ram or cold air whenever I feel like. But PVC should work.. just figuring everything out is the trick, plus I dont like the idea of it maybe melting under the heat of the engine (tho I think they make high heat treated peices? not sure?) <br>

Tuesday, November 09, 2004 11:13 AM
You could figure out a way to make the pipe so there would just be a free flow at every bend...maybe someone that bought the AEM could air kit could give us the dimensions?
...i highly doubt that the pvc would melt because if it would then why would they use plastic for the factory air system that is cheaper looking?..but if it was an issue just put some header wrap on it...if you wanna chech out how easy it woulb be just take out the headlight and imagine the possiblilites with all that space
Tuesday, November 09, 2004 1:00 PM
good point on the stock piping part. Didn't think of that, lol. Not sure on the AEM dimensions, I'll talk to my buddy Ryan he has one of them and I'll get back to ya on that. Then I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there <br>

Tuesday, November 09, 2004 5:42 PM
allright cool...and you are going to make one of your own right?...i looked to see where the hole to the fender was and i seen that you would indeed have to relocate the battery.
I wonder what the process would involve to put it in the trunk>?..Just a battery box/wiring?...but wait if that is so then how did AEM make one that fit in there?..if it were at all possible to do i bet i would benefit greatly because i have no foglight so it would just be a straight shot from the bumper into the CAI...IDEA..lol we should make them and sell them?
Wednesday, November 10, 2004 12:40 PM
distribution block & a lot of wire... lol.. then just splicing & making sure everything works correctly, then I think u need to buy a special box for ur battery to put into the trunk, not sure tho. lol good idea on the selling thing, just a lot of people already do what we're doing so it would be a dead idea <br>

Wednesday, November 10, 2004 1:55 PM
So how did you get off that nasty black box to get access to the T.B. Cavy Freak?
Wednesday, November 10, 2004 2:28 PM
theres a clamp at the end of the TB cover thats directly over the TB. If you look to the right side of the TB theres a small hole that you can put a screwdriver into to loosen up the clamp there, and then its just a matter of wiggling the thing off =) You can see on my sideview pic of my intake where the hole is for the screwdriver to go into slightly downright from where the elbow is. Right below the throttle, hope that helps <br>

Wednesday, November 10, 2004 6:09 PM
so then if i take that off am i gonna have to have the 90o elbow and an aftermarket intake?
Wednesday, November 10, 2004 7:04 PM
ya something in the lines of that, A lot of people have done different things to make our own intakes. I've done mine, Hypsy has done his, and so on and so forth. Hypsy's turned out pretty decent, and I like the looks of mine. Its all up to you bro =) <br>

Thursday, November 11, 2004 7:05 AM

thats from a 2.4, that i just chopped a little bit off the end.... it doesnt have a bracket on it, so it just bangs around in there... i had it zip tied to stuff, but it looked ghetto (shows) so i have my stock stuff back on for the winter, till i can find out some way to make a custom bracket

not bad for 60 bucks tho <br>

2004 Cavalier ~ 15.98 - Stock
Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:12 AM
definately not bad =) <br>

Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:26 AM
Agreed..where did you get that?
Thursday, November 11, 2004 1:33 PM
i got it at a local shop here.... 60 bucks.. it was lying around, still in original package..... Scored with that deal! <br>

2004 Cavalier ~ 15.98 - Stock
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search