Steering Wheel swap... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering Wheel swap...
Wednesday, October 27, 2004 1:13 PM
I have a 2005 Cavalier......

Im sure there is a way to remove the stock steering wheel for a GT Grant wheel, im jus not sure if its worth the hassle or not..... has anyone removed a stock steering wheel that is airbag equipped?

Any tips or suggestions so the airbag doesnt explode in my face? <br>

=================================
Howie

B & H Racing
http://home.earthlink.net/~phantomht

"If you have an open mind, your brains will fall out"

Re: Steering Wheel swap...
Thursday, October 28, 2004 7:31 PM
you loose the air bag , and if you get in a wreck , your ins company will screw you over big time

th best would be to use the sunfire pleather wraped wheel

<br>

Tuesday, November 09, 2004 5:59 PM
yeah he is probably right about the insurance company...i know someone that had a wreck in a sunfire and the airbags deployed so he just used a grant steering wheel so it can be done..and in order to get the airbag not to go off while taking off your wheel should be easy if you just pull out the airbag fuse
Friday, November 12, 2004 10:08 AM
PhantomHT wrote:I have a 2005 Cavalier......

Im sure there is a way to remove the stock steering wheel for a GT Grant wheel, im jus not sure if its worth the hassle or not..... has anyone removed a stock steering wheel that is airbag equipped?

Any tips or suggestions so the airbag doesnt explode in my face?

IIRC there is a D.E.R.M module in the car and it stores power in case of an accident or such. But anyway, it is still possible for th airbag to go off. There is a time limit the derm will keep power for airbag deployment. I dont remember how long it will keep the system active. Ask the dealer. Just my 2 cents
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 4:17 PM
The dealer won't tell you. Call a friend that is into body work. I would tell you because I have a grant wheel in my 02 cav but I'm not going to post it out in the open.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Wednesday, December 22, 2004 7:12 AM
You can get custom car insurance made for modified vehicles. You will need a good list of modifications and limited drive time to get it, though...

Mine covers my car even without the airbags (I removed both)...
<br>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search