SAAB con rods/pistons - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SAAB con rods/pistons
Tuesday, November 09, 2004 11:15 AM
From what I have read the pistons and con rods in the 2.0 saab ecotec are stronger, but does anyone know how much stronger?

Re: SAAB con rods/pistons
Wednesday, November 10, 2004 7:10 AM
Hmm why don't you guys apply some boost, and find out! <br>

2004 Sunfire, 5 speed, billet aluminum short shifter
AEM CAI, experimental cams
FRD 68 Anthracite 17",215/45/17Y Ventus K104
Progress Springs, KYB AGX
Hawk HP/slotted rotors
148.8hp@5300, 155lb-ft@3800(@ the wheels)

Wednesday, November 10, 2004 9:48 AM
LOL becasue if a rod snaps it will screw up the block and/or crank. The block I could live with, but losing my 2L crank would suck, or screwing up a nice new set of WiseCo pistons would suck too. And if they snap at like 300 it's really not worth it, if they snapped at 400, then it would be a little more fun. I've got a few sets of the saab 2.0 rods laying around and was wondering if I could find a use for them..... besides using them to break other parts
Monday, November 15, 2004 1:25 AM
I think the standard con-rods break at around 250 HP. The SAAB ones will withstand at least 300 HP
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 12:47 PM
LIVID wrote:LOL becasue if a rod snaps it will screw up the block and/or crank. The block I could live with, but losing my 2L crank would suck, or screwing up a nice new set of WiseCo pistons would suck too. And if they snap at like 300 it's really not worth it, if they snapped at 400, then it would be a little more fun. I've got a few sets of the saab 2.0 rods laying around and was wondering if I could find a use for them..... besides using them to break other parts

When you changed your pistons to your Wiseco pistons why did you not go ahead and change the rods out as well?

As for the Ecotec Rods they should be good for about 270 or 280 HP... as for the Saab, no clue I would assume the same if not a tad more.

<br>

Tuesday, November 16, 2004 1:03 PM
I actually havn't built the engine yet, it's planned but not build. I was just curious about the rods from the SAABs becasue I have a couple spare sets. In the end I will be running eagle rods.
Tuesday, November 23, 2004 1:17 PM
LIVID wrote:I actually havn't built the engine yet, it's planned but not build. I was just curious about the rods from the SAABs becasue I have a couple spare sets. In the end I will be running eagle rods.

Also, my best guess... I figure... th rods are a different size anyway.. since its a different crank........

<br>

Tuesday, November 23, 2004 4:16 PM
And I wouldn't reuse the powdered metal rods that come stock. Once the rods flake, they begin to deteriorate. That is the only downside of powdered metal.

Assuming the bore on the cav/sunfire and the saab were the same: then I would use the crank, pistons and rods off of the saab. Or just use the stock crank, forged eagle rods, with forged pistons.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search