Tach install 2.2 Eco - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tach install 2.2 Eco
Sunday, November 21, 2004 9:32 AM
Does Anyone know which wire is the one from the RPM sensor to hook up a monsterface tach? On the 2.2 Eco i'm all but sure it is white but i just wanted to make sure so if anyone has any pictures of thier install/comments they would be very apreciated

Re: Tach install 2.2 Eco
Monday, November 22, 2004 7:26 AM
Autogauge has stated that it is the white wire in the blue harness at the PCM under the hood on the passenger side.
Monday, November 22, 2004 8:59 PM
can you give me the website where you got that info? Thanks
Wednesday, November 24, 2004 11:53 PM
Ok i got it all hooked up//i found multiple RPM Signals from then Distributorless ignition coil pack..there was a white wire like i suspected and and there was also an orange wire that worked also but here's the stumper..the calibration was off..so i got on the AutoMeter website and they showed how to calibrate it for a 4 cylinder so i thought that was the problem so i looked and had already been calibrated..so i looked on altavista and found a website called Egauges and there was an FAQ section and one question i just happened to read was if the AutoGage Tach would'nt work right on some cars and sure enough there was the 2.2 Ecotec engine on the list but it said that i would have to send it away to autometer to get it calibrated right..the tach only will read 1/2 or the real RPMS so basically it is just a shift light
Thursday, November 25, 2004 10:33 AM
Actually, we found it to be the white wire in the black harness not in the blue harness. Autogauge had it wrong. you can get the info at directtech.com or maybe its techdirect.com I forget which it is. Google will have it as well. Do not hook up to the white wire at the coil pack, you will not get an accurate reading.
Ecotecs will only get a half signal from the white wire.
In order to make a tach work, you will need to convert the digital tach signal on the ecotec into an analog. MSD makes a box for this and cost around $75. MSD tach signal box. HAAS sells them on the website.
Thursday, February 23, 2006 6:29 PM
so do i need anything too hook up a tac?If not what and where is the wire i need for sure? thanks for any help
later james

Monday, March 06, 2006 3:21 PM
You need the MSD tach adapter ohterwise just tapping the wires on the PCM will only show you half the RPM's.

Ecotecs use a distirbutorless ignition system so it does not give a true 4 cylinder tach signal anwhere in the car... it has a rpm reading for cylinders 1&3 and clyinders 2&4, and then the stock somputer reads those 2 signals and adds them together.

Most tachs have a selector for 4,6,8 cylinders on the back. And some have 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, etc;

Thus the need of the MSD tach adapter or a Tach capable of being set to 2 cylinder operation.

The MSD part #8913.

Just go to summitracing.co, or jegs or someother online racing store and search for that part number.

There is a thread I started form way back when Ecotecpower.com first started that i wrote all this info on, Use the search and look for "Tach". Make sure you serahc with all date, and all forums selected. Look for the post I wrote it ahs all the info you need to wire that MSD box up.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:17 AM
RK Sport has a tach adapter for much cheaper. The adapter will work for ALL 2.2l ecotecs, not just the years it specifies. Search under cavaliers and it should pop up. The adapter does work on cobalts with the 2.2, not sure about the 2.4 or 2.0s/c. Hope this helps.

-Jracer107
Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:40 PM
okay i got a stewart warner shift light that i can put it on 2 cylinders.So what wires do i need to hook this tach to since i dont need the adapter.here is the shift light http://www.sw-performance.com/products/product.aspx?productid=376
thanks james

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 6:04 AM
why not just install a gauge cluster off of a z24? i did it on my car and it works perfect.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search