Governor Removal - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Governor Removal
Thursday, July 28, 2005 9:30 AM
This may be a question that has been answered many times before, so I apologize if it is. I am slightly new to the are of Ecotec modding, but I want to learn as much as I can and convert my 2002 Cavalier LS Sport into the kind of car that the ricers flee from in fear. Anyway, my problem is this, the governor in my car causes it to shut down at 105 MPH. I would like to remedy this because the car can do better and with the kinda of things I want to do to the car, it WILL do better than that. Car any of you fine Ecotec experts give me some insight and help me solve this problem?

Re: Governor Removal
Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:11 AM
Your car tops out at 108 MPH not 105 MPH, and you are wasting your time asking this question because nobody is going to tell you. So, you would have figure it out yourself.
If there is a will there is a way.
Thursday, July 28, 2005 2:01 PM
greenecotec is correct, no one will tell you how to do this, or the rev limiter either.

Besides... top end is not what our cars are meant for, or they would have a v6 or v8 in them. If you can't beat them from 0-60, then why do you want to go 100+ anyway? You won't catch them, and if you did.. probably lost the race and he's slowing down.
Thursday, July 28, 2005 11:15 PM
search on j-body, thats the closest you'll come to finding out, and thats all im saying
Friday, July 29, 2005 4:03 AM
search vss switch

see ya!

Monday, August 01, 2005 10:19 AM
I hope your only racing on a closed course and not on the street.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:40 PM
why wasn't this locked? it would be in an instant on JBO

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:15 PM
Have you tried independent feul injection? (not ECU controlled)?
Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:38 AM
you know i really dont understand why peole dont just answer this question, i know what your goin to say, but really i think it is up to the person to make the own decision weather or not they are goin to do this to there car. i mean really, if you have the right mods to your car and are capable of doing highter speeds with out your tires blowin up, then who hive a crap, again it is at there own risk, but i think it is dumb to have this stuff where "how to remove the speed limiter" is so taboo. i want to know how to do it but it doesnt mean i am goin to do it. i know the whole kill switch thing, but id like to know if there are more ways to do it. purely out of curiosity, and even though street racing is another thing your not supposed to talk about, you know at least 90% of every one in here has done it a time or two. as long as your safe...and well willin to risk a hefty ticket, do it, but again at your own risk. id like to think people have enough common sence not to be doin 100+ on a crowded street. "its like whippin your butt before you poop, it just dont make sence"

plus i think the reason most people dont tell other people how to do it is cause they dont know them either so they just say " how dare you ask that here, blahhh blahhh blahhh" you can just as easily kill your self at 108 as you can at .... well how ever fast these damn cars go. so again if your dumb enough to speed like that then why not go all out.

just my opinion.
Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:43 AM
there is a way to cheat the rev limiter and the speed limiter. they are run by the same part of the computer. If you know anybody that has a shop with a good scanner then you can do it. All it really does is trick the computer into thinking that there is no limit to revs and speed
Friday, August 05, 2005 11:39 AM
ok not to sound as a smart a$$ or anything but why would you want to know how to take the limiter off if you weren't going to actually use it? wouldn't it be pointless to do that. i mean ya you can go tell people i have no limiter but who really cares if you don't need to go past it. most people who have no limiter don't have one for a reason and thats cuz the trap speed is above the limited 108. im not for or against the whole idea i see both points of view but what i don't understand is why take it off if you don't use it . well good luck with removing it later

Friday, August 05, 2005 12:12 PM
I just don't see the point of taking it off if you can't beat them from 0-60....

Like I said earlier, whats the point of going faster than 108 when you are 1-3 car lengths behind at 60.

What you gonna say, "Hey guys I don't have a governor or rev. limiter, but I'm still slower
than you."

If you wanted to go over 108.. Why did you buy a 4 cylinder car? Why not a V6 or V8?
Thats like buying a moped and hoping to make a Ducati.

Don't get me wrong I believe if someone wants to then let them.. Not that I want to.

If I did want to... I would've bought a faster car. Or kept my <10sec Firebird.
Friday, August 05, 2005 6:29 PM
this is what kind of power you would need to even justify wanting to remove it. if you really want to read the wiring diagram for you car.

really fast

Friday, August 05, 2005 10:35 PM
whatever you want to do is fine i would like to push mine past 6400 rpms. Especially when my engine is completed.
Saturday, August 06, 2005 7:46 AM
well again like i said above i would like to know how to do it for sh!ts and giggles like i am sure other people would like to know for the same reason. some one said above " why do you want to know unless you plan on doing it"

well i am sure alot of you read the article on the "Import Killer" cavalier with close to 1000 hp. i read how they did that but doesnt mean i am goin to go and try to build one. i am the type person who just likes to know all the ins and outs of my car. i love knowing what it can do and how to do it. i wasnt trin to sound like an a$$ when i wrote that other comment, but really i thinnk it is up to the person if they are goin to to that or not. honestly i am suprised that i didnt get flamed for sayin what i said.

i think alot of people would have gotten a V6 or V8 if they could afford one, but like me haveing a wife and to pay for her 05 honda and living on an army paycheck, i was limited as to what i could get, so im stuck with the 04 cav. but i was like this with every car i had in the past too. my 99 wrangler, 99 neon, ect. i just love to know all i can know about them, and if a person was serious about removing the speed limiter i am sure there is a place somewhere on the internet that will let you know but` i am not to worried about doin it, just tired of all the drama about how dumb it people think this subject is.
Friday, August 12, 2005 1:58 PM
i agree why not open up the top speed,i thought thats what sites like this are all for!!!
in this country we have 1.1cc engined cars that will go faster than that....i dont condone high speeds like this on the road,but good to have the extra speed if you do track days e.t.c..my 2.2 tops out at just under 140mph....
Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:49 PM
I talked to the Hahn Racecarft tech. support about the gov. removal for my turbo charge 04 sunfire, the support guy said that they have been unpluging the speed sensor from the tranny when they are at the track. If this works just wire in a switch inline from the sensor to the speedo. and turn it off when you race. Your speedo. won't work but it only reads to 110 mph anyways
Thursday, August 18, 2005 6:53 PM
or you could just put a carb on the motor LOL
Saturday, August 20, 2005 4:07 PM
The bottom line about governor removal - it is ILLEGAL to drive that fast anywhere in the United States or Canada, except on the track. If your car has enough mods to go that fast on a track, you must already posess the knowledge to remove the governor, because in reality it is not a difficult concept. That being said, we do not condone illegal behavior on this site, nor will we give anyone the info to do so themselves.

If someone got the info on how to do it on this site, and ended up killing themselves or someone else (because, lets face it, if you are that stupid, you are going to kill someone), it will come back to us in the form of a lawsuit.

So the final answer is NO, you WILL NOT learn how to do it on this site.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search